American 2016 Presidential Election thread part three

......... There's more/more rumbling that internally the Repubs would rather suck it up and have Hillary than a Trump and they're putting more and more focus on the Senate and House races now.

It's not "more/more rumbling" and hasn't been for months. The Repukes in D.C. (not the voters) would rather have Hillary than Trump or Cruz. Trump because he's not Republican (he's a Nationalist) and Cruz because no one likes him AT ALL and he made friends with none (look at Lindsey Graham's tasteless joke about Cruz). Hillary is acceptable because she's bought and paid for. She will serve the people well on social issues, but that's it. She will give the corporations whatever they want.

I find it quite funny that all Repubs said this was the best field they had ever run! How well did that work out for them, lol!

Welp, the somewhat "civil" debate on the Democratic side is over. Bernie officially said tonight that Clinton "is not qualified to be President" after she refused in an interview earlier to say whether or not he was ready to be President himself.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-not-qualified-be-president-n552141

I think it's one thing to dodge a question, but it's quite another to come out and say she's not qualified altogether. Especially after he promised a positive campaign and has previously said she'd be a better President than any GOP candidate. I think I've lost all respect for this dude.

So she can say whatever about him but he is not allowed?

That's just it. She never said he wasn't qualified, she just said he "needs to do his homework". He said it loud and clear about her.

And by the way, if a vote for the Iraq War disqualifies you then Kerry shouldn't have run in 2004, and Joe Biden shouldn't be VP. And if having a Super PAC is grounds for disqualification, Elizabeth Warren couldn't have run either (she had Super PACs for her Senate race) nor could President Obama (who had about $1 billion in campaign funds).

In hindsight, this will be looked back on as the moment that cost Sanders any chance of winning the nomination. Similar to what happened with Rick Lazio in the September 2000 debate for the New York senate. There's no coming back from what he said, not to mention it was based on a lie about Clinton. It's so obvious that it was a terrible, personal thing to say that will only work in Clinton's favour. It's almost unbelievable that he would personally attack such a highly admired Democratic figure within the party and amongst democratic voters with all these closed primaries coming up. With her home state coming up no less!

So he said she wasn't qualified, big deal. I thought this woman was supposed to have a thick skin. Campaigns routinely say much harsher stuff than that. Am I missing something. Getting offended at Bernie, gimme a break.

So he said she wasn't qualified, big deal. I thought this woman was supposed to have a thick skin. Campaigns routinely say much harsher stuff than that. Am I missing something. Getting offended at Bernie, gimme a break.

The big picture problem with what he said is it would be used against her by Republicans in the General Election. There's also the visual of an old man telling a woman with a long and varied career resume that she is "not qualified". That will work against his campaign and I've already seem some of supporters switch to Hillary because of those comments he made about her qualifications.

Jane Sanders went on Rachel Maddow's show and downplayed the whole thing, saying that it doesn't mean he wouldn't support her in the general election. He was repeating the line at a rally this morning but I guess his campaign finally made the decision to slowly walk back from it by the end of the day (Clinton's statement saying she'd support him over any Republican in the general probably playing a role in that); rather than the escalation moment into a nuclear campaign that many were predicting, it could be forgotten by next news cycle if they both play (relatively) nice from here on out.

It's not Hillary that wigged out. As heated as the 2008 campaign was, Hillary and Obama never said the other WASN'T QUALIFIED to be President. It's a big deal because saying that shit to your hardcore supporters makes them more unlikely to vote for her if she wins the nomination. And if that's what Bernie wants, say hello to President Trump or Cruz.

Also, for a candidate who promised "no personal attacks" he sure has changed his tone. He even said today, "If she attacks me, I attack her" but that is a far cry from "I want to run a positive campaign." Once again, Bernie is learning the hard way that politics isn't a game for nice guys. I suspect if he won the nomination, he'd soon realize he needs Super PACs too. Typical politician.

It's almost unbelievable that he would personally attack such a highly admired Democratic figure within the party and amongst democratic voters

Sweet Jesus! Get my smelling salts before I pass out! How dare he!

The big picture problem with what he said is it would be used against her by Republicans in the General Election. There's also the visual of an old man telling a woman with a long and varied career resume that she is "not qualified". That will work against his campaign and I've already seem some of supporters switch to Hillary because of those comments he made about her qualifications.

Valid points though I do think accepting "donations" from the ultra wealthy, especially to the shameless extent she does, should disqualify a candidate. So Bernie's not wrong.

Valid points though I do think accepting "donations" from the ultra wealthy, especially to the shameless extent she does, should disqualify a candidate. So Bernie's not wrong.

The money she's been fundraising has been for helping down-the-ballot candidate races, not just for own. What's she's doing is acceptable.

If she truly wants to put this kind of talk to rest, she could release the Goldman Sachs transcripts for starters. Unless. ...

Obama took more money from Goldman Sachs than the Republican candidate in 2008. Does that disqualify him?

Sanders went on an "of course she's qualified" media tour this morning and had surrogates like Tad Devine reiterate that he'll support her if she's the eventual Democratic nominee; the détente is official.

Obama took more money from Goldman Sachs than the Republican candidate in 2008. Does that disqualify him?

They can all go kick rocks as far as I'm concerned so long as they're bought and sold by big money. As far as Obama is concerned, I never bought into his hope and change crap exactly for that reason. It's a complete enigma to me how people can't see this or, worse, argue in their favor.

Bernie's personal attacks are HIGHLY inappropriate, in my mind. And they way his supporters have been attacking and harassing Hillary supporters is totally out of bounds and out of line. This party is now as divisive and disgusting as the GOP, as far as I'm concerned. We've never been so divided and pitted against each other so harshly. I'm sick and tired of it.

Big underperformance by Sanders in the Wyoming caucus today, an 11% win by him coming out to a 7-7 tie in pledged delegates. And that's the last in the streak of states favorable to him demographically, next up New York.

Big underperformance by Sanders in the Wyoming caucus today, an 11% win by him coming out to a 7-7 tie in pledged delegates. And that's the last in the streak of states favorable to him demographically, next up New York.

I was actually expecting a Utah or Washington size win for him. No such luck. She kept his delegate gain at bay. Bring on the EMPIRE STATE!

I thought he'd destroy her in WY so I'm pleasantly surprised! NY is looking good. I just came home from an event with Hillary in Brooklyn! Great crowd - got to catch up with my old boss, Huma Abedin. I think Hillary's got NY.

Laura was always a closet liberal so that doesn't surprise me one bit. She always distanced herself from her husband and made a point to not comment on/meddle in any political matters during his administration.