American 2016 Presidential Election thread part three

I believe Wisconsin (the next moderately large contest) is an OPEN primary like Michigan, although it might be a very tight race. Sanders will probably win that one, and he'll win the Wyoming caucus too, even though it's closed. NY is Hillary's next chance to shut him down but it's an eternity away - April 19. If Sanders can somehow make NY competitive in the next few weeks - like a 51% to 49% loss - I might get worried. The longer this thing goes on, the more damage he can do to Hillary in the general.

I find it interesting that Elizabeth Warren hasn't endorsed either candidate yet. Bernie should be a shoe-in for her. She says she will endorse someone, but she's obviously waiting to see if Sanders can catch up.

I'm probably throwing caution to the wind by saying this, but I don't see how he comes close in NY. It's her home states, she was an extremely popular senator who in her 2006 re-election campaign, won all but 4 of New York's 62 counties. She also significantly beat Obama there in 2008. Atm she has a 50-point lead and the state's demographics are so diverse that I don't think Sanders can overcome that.

The super delegates can still decide later for Bernie, no? At least that's what I understood. If so he can still get some of those from her.

The super delegates can still decide later for Bernie, no? At least that's what I understood. If so he can still get some of those from her.

I don't see the incentive for them to swap from Hillary, especially if she comes out with more delegates. For starters, she's raised millions for down-the-ballot candidate dem races whereas Bernie has raised $0 for them despite him pledging he would. It's also no secret that the Democrats are not particularly fond of him, and him saying recently that he only ran as a dem for media coverage probably did him no favours.

But if they still had the option to change their minds then it's not certain until its final. Hence why I'm glad he's still in the race.

I'm probably throwing caution to the wind by saying this, but I don't see how he comes close in NY. It's her home states, she was an extremely popular senator who in her 2006 re-election campaign, won all but 4 of New York's 62 counties. She also significantly beat Obama there in 2008. Atm she has a 50-point lead and the state's demographics are so diverse that I don't think Sanders can overcome that.

I hope you are right. But he's definitely got time and money to make in-roads there. And, since he'll likely win Wisconsin and Wyoming (in addition the the tidal wave of good press from this weekend), he will definitely be on a roll. She needs to smack him down hard in NY to prove his chances are over.

I don't see the incentive for them to swap from Hillary, especially if she comes out with more delegates. For starters, she's raised millions for down-the-ballot candidate dem races whereas Bernie has raised $0 for them despite him pledging he would. It's also no secret that the Democrats are not particularly fond of him, and him saying recently that he only ran as a dem for media coverage probably did him no favours.

Amen to this. Sanders is just as much an opportunist as Clinton, AND he's not even trying to help elect people to Congress so he can fulfill his vision of single payer health care and free college. Does he think a President is omnipotent? Sorry, this guy has no real plan to govern.

1st Bernie "momentum wave": Iowa tie & New Hampshire Landslide

Lost "momentum": when Hillary won Nevada and had landslide victories in SC and on Super Tuesday

2nd Bernie "momentum" wave: winning a few caucuses and then the Michigan upset

Lost "momentum": when Hillary swept 5/5 states

3rd "momentum" wave: Won with big Margins in 5 caucuses

Lost "momentum": Yet to happen, but Hillary's big win in Arizona was a bad loss for Sanders

Momentum for him seems to be winning mostly small, white caucus states. He's only won 4 primaries of which one was his home state, another was his neighbouring state, Michigan was very close making Oklahoma his biggest primary win and that was only by 11 points. Hillary just keeps coming back bigger and stronger. Hillary on the other hand has won 16 primaries with a mix of open,semi and closed.

Stop the Bernie and Hillary bashing ya'll. We need BOTH sides to come together in the end or we are fucked!!!!!!!!

I know I sound like a broken record but damn. As left leaning people we should be happy that we have two ADULTS running and not a circus clown show like the republican side.

Stop the Bernie and Hillary bashing ya'll. We need BOTH sides to come together in the end or we are fucked!!!!!!!!

I know I sound like a broken record but damn. As left leaning people we should be happy that we have two ADULTS running and not a circus clown show like the republican side.

I know, you're right but it's definitely getting heated in both camps. I don't think Hillary peeps thought this would drag out this way, and now it's going on so long that Bernie supporters are so cemented to the idea of his Presidency, they're starting to threaten not voting for her in the general (which is dumb IMO). I got into a huge debate today about it with a friend's friend and he claims Bernie has had ZERO media coverage (FALSE) and he thinks everyone in Congress should not take any big donor money (which mean most Dems would lose and we'd have a GOP Senate for sure). Brillz, I tell you.

OK, can we all have a little break from the bickering between Bernie and Hillary to enjoy this bit of info?

Apparently the National Enquirer (the tabloid that broke the news about John Edwards' affair in 2008) is saying that Cruz might have MULTIPLE mistresses. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!

Cruz claims to be ULTRA CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE.

If the rumors are true, WHAT A FUCKING HYPOCRITE HE WOULD BE!

DELICIOUS.

In the 2008 debates, Obama said health care reform would require no individual mandate while Hillary was realistic about the issue and said it did. Turns out, in order for the Affordable Care Act to work, you have to have the mandate. No Obama feet were held to any fire, and he won re-election. Obama also promised to end the war in Afghanistan and bring the troops home by the end of his term. We still have almost 10,000 troops there and are likely to keep at least 5,500 into 2017. I am not saying that to attack him, as I think there are just realities even an optimistic man like Obama has to deal with. It's just the nature of leadership.

Politicians say whatever they need to say to get elected. Governance is an entirely different thing. Even if Bernie won, I think the same thing would apply to him. In fact, I find it interesting that so many voters (mostly the most liberal and the most conservative), always have these altruistic feelings about certain nominees. "Obama is going to transform Washington! It's a new era!" And then 8 years later the country is still gridlocked. Today all I hear is "Bernie is the one to change Washington." Only he won't because the Presidency is only 1/3 of the government and is checked/balanced by Congress and the Judiciary.

I admire the convictions of the people who think money is leaving politics soon, but short of an American version of the French Revolution (with actual heads being chopped off), I am sorry to say it's just not happening.

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

I agree with everything you said.

I know, you're right but it's definitely getting heated in both camps. I don't think Hillary peeps thought this would drag out this way, and now it's going on so long that Bernie supporters are so cemented to the idea of his Presidency, they're starting to threaten not voting for her in the general (which is dumb IMO). I got into a huge debate today about it with a friend's friend and he claims Bernie has had ZERO media coverage (FALSE) and he thinks everyone in Congress should not take any big donor money (which mean most Dems would lose and we'd have a GOP Senate for sure). Brillz, I tell you.

I just have to look back at 2008 when things between Hillary and Obama supporters were just as heated though and in the end I think most Hillary supporters came out to vote for Obama. I think its easy to say, "IF ITS NOT MY NOMINEE I AM NOT VOTING AT ALL!!!!" right now, but in the end when it's Hillary vs Cruz, or Trump, or whoever they possibly prop up at the convention I think most of that will melt away and people will see this is no time to mess around when they see first hand the choice they have. Plus I would HOPE if Bernie isn't the nominee he would campaign for Hillary here and there and urge his supporters to back her.

Save voting for a 3rd party or not voting at all when the republican party isn't so crazy radical. (If that ever happens). Too much is at stake right now.

I vehemently disliked Hillary before Bernie got into the race and I had already decided not to vote. Then Bernie came along, someone I knew little about, and the more I looked into him the more I liked him and decided he deserved my vote. I will still be voting for my representative and senator if that makes you feel better.

^Bernie would never campaign for hillary..hes too idiot.

the rich billionaire lunatic ass hole..Bernie as a president would be more dangerous than you know who.

Guest Mauro

I just have to look back at 2008 when things between Hillary and Obama supporters were just as heated though and in the end I think most Hillary supporters came out to vote for Obama. I think its easy to say, "IF ITS NOT MY NOMINEE I AM NOT VOTING AT ALL!!!!" right now, but in the end when it's Hillary vs Cruz, or Trump, or whoever they possibly prop up at the convention I think most of that will melt away and people will see this is no time to mess around when they see first hand the choice they have. Plus I would HOPE if Bernie isn't the nominee he would campaign for Hillary here and there and urge his supporters to back her.

Save voting for a 3rd party or not voting at all when the republican party isn't so crazy radical. (If that ever happens). Too much is at stake right now.

Voting Party purity got George W Bush elected, and you saw where that ended us. People need to get a grip. There's a full Tea Party Congress in store, not to mention a lifetime Supreme Court. If you think these batshit insane Republicans aren't ready to overturn every bit of progress made over the last 8 years, you're crazy. That includes marriage equality and any piece of pro-LGBT legislation put forward. Nothing is a done deal. They are ready to roll and and destroy the country in the process if that's what it takes to get it done.

Funny how Sanders spends millions of dollars on negative commercials of Hillary Clinton just one month ago he said " our campaign is about issues we will never be a negative campaign"

So much has changed! He's a fraud. Hillary only gets the bad rep for "lying".

Yeah, it is really starting to feel like 2008 all over again (in reverse with Hillary winning). However, just like in '08, I am personally fine with either candidate. I just think Hillary is more vetted. If somehow Bernie pulled this off, I wouldn't be mad at all. I'd gladly vote for him. I would just be worried about the down ballot candidates. WE NEED THE SENATE TO BE DEMOCRATIC to change the Supreme Court.

I had to stop watching The Young Turks, it was turning really ugly especially as Bernie began to lose. They were starting to question whether Hillary was truly sincere in her past efforts to help women and children as well as talking about how Trump could bring a more progressive America than Hillary would. I've lost so much respect for them, especially after I realised they were spreading misinformation about her. I'm pretty much sticking with FiveThirtyEight/NPR/Slate for my election coverage.

I'm glad you left this comment because I was watching a few of their videos a couple weeks ago and wasn't sure but thought they were liking Trump. I just assumed my ears were deceiving me. It was so bizarre coming from them. Not outright praise I don't think, just not... idk. It was weird.

Yeah the Young Turks and their constant Hillary bashing has been turning me off also. Again seems like people who cant see the large picture.

^Bernie would never campaign for hillary..hes too idiot.

the rich billionaire lunatic ass hole..Bernie as a president would be more dangerous than you know who.

34qtzco.gif

Funny how Sanders spends millions of dollars on negative commercials of Hillary Clinton just one month ago he said " our campaign is about issues we will never be a negative campaign"

So much has changed! He's a fraud. Hillary only gets the bad rep for "lying".

Do you even know what fraud means? Dictionary.com

Susan Sarandon would prefer "Donald Trump over status qou Hillary Clinton". What a fu*cking stupid idiot. I used to love her lol. Typical Sanders if he doesn't get the nomination. They are not democrats if u rather support the worst ever "republican" over Hillary.

Susan Sarandon would prefer "Donald Trump over status qou Hillary Clinton". What a fu*cking stupid idiot. I used to love her lol. Typical Sanders if he doesn't get the nomination. They are not democrats if u rather support the worst ever "republican" over Hillary.

At least Susan as an inspirational feminist, is not stupid enough to vote for Hilary just because she has a pussy too. A lot of women could learn from Susan! Vote for the right candidate ( no matter what sex they are ) not for what they have between their legs, but what they have between their ears.