American 2016 Presidential Election thread part three

That's rather defeatist.

No it's not. The numbers have always been against him.

Im actually surprised how many people came out in his support. I never expected that.

It's a bit reassuring that for every trump supporter there's a Bernie supporter. Not all Americans are racist imbeciles / people who vote for someone just because it's safer and feels more familiar.

Those protesters are disgusting losers and haters.

Give me a break. They are me heroes for the day.

You can only bash entire groups of people and demonize them for months on end and have their leader incite violence against these people before a lot of them finally push back.

You can only bash entire groups of people and demonize them for months on end and have their leader incite violence against these people before a lot of them finally push back.

Last time I checked it was hooligans invading Trump's private events. Your "heroes for the day" are fascist brownshirts. That Madonna short video you posted is actually in support of Trump people - not the other way around.

Last time I checked it was hooligans invading Trump's private events. Your "heroes for the day" are fascist brownshirts. That Madonna short video you posted is actually in support of Trump people - not the other way around.

Are you fucking insane!?

The first line of Madonna's video describes Trumps people to a TEE!!!!! Pointing the finger at others and telling them to GET OUT!!!

By saying this you are saying that Madonna must be a Trump supporter. :lmao: What a flop ass fan if you actually believe that and actually believe Madonna in any way shape or form would support ANYTHING Trump has been spewing.

And who the hell says hooligans anymore? :lmao: You sound like a KKK member from the 60s calling black people protesting for their rights.

"Those damn thug hooligans! Why can't they just know their place and take the abuse!?"

Oh the irony with all your white bashing on these threads. You reap what you sow (your words)

Oh the irony with all your white bashing on these threads. You reap what you sow (your words)

Get back to me when there is systematic racism against white people in America.

I am sure if Trump was inciting violence against gays and calling for them to be deported or banned from the country and a bunch of them stopped a Trump hate rally most on here would be cheering for joy. It AMAZES me how some people in minority groups are totally blind to the anger and frustration felt by other minority groups and their inability to put themselves in their shoes.

......And who the hell says hooligans anymore? :lmao: You sound like a KKK member from the 60s calling black people protesting for their rights.

"Those damn thug hooligans! Why can't they just know their place and take the abuse!?"

Soccer hooligans during matches in Europe, for example.

Maybe I should call your protester friends freedom fighters. Their freedom to have their opinions heard at someone else's private event.

But, thanks for insinuating that I'm a racist and thus undeserving to speak in your presence.

Maybe I should call your protester friends freedom fighters. Their freedom to have their opinions heard at someone else's private event.

But, thanks for insinuating that I'm a racist and thus undeserving to speak in your presence.

Anyone that thinks Madonna would be a Trump supporter is undeserving to speak in my presence. :lmao:

Skin is very self righteous. He actually comes in here and demands people vote for who he wants, as if that's gonna make a difference.

I'll tell you what though, Trump ain't no unifier if he's got me arguing with a fellow Madonna fan who also hates gubner to boot.

These are strange times

I am sure if Trump was inciting violence against gays and calling for them to be deported or banned from the country and a bunch of them stopped a Trump hate rally most on here would be cheering for joy. It AMAZES me how some people in minority groups are totally blind to the anger and frustration felt by other minority groups and their inability to put themselves in their shoes.

There is actually as much of the hysterical never Trump campaign designed to scare people into not voting for Trump coming from Cruz, the Bushes, the traditional Republican Party and CNN as from the left and Sanders supporters. The good folks at Redstate are even advocating protesters exercise their right to bear arms at his rallies. The Establishment is behind this. The timing says it all. They’re desperate.

http://www.redstate.com/neil_stevens/2016/03/11/advice-reporters-protestors-visiting-donald-trump-events/

My advice for reporters and protestors visiting Donald Trump events

By: Neil Stevens (Diary) | March 11th, 2016 at 09:50 AM | 31

My advice for reporters and protestors visiting Donald Trump events is simple: You have a right to keep and bear arms. Use it. If Trump’s brownshirts know their targets are armed, they’ll get less handsy, fast.

There is actually as much of the hysterical never Trump campaign designed to scare people into not voting for Trump coming from Cruz, the Bushes, the traditional Republican Party and CNN as from the left and Sanders supporters. The good folks at Redstate are even advocating protesters exercise their right to bear arms at his rallies. The Establishment is behind this. The timing says it all. They’re desperate.

http://www.redstate.com/neil_stevens/2016/03/11/advice-reporters-protestors-visiting-donald-trump-events/

My advice for reporters and protestors visiting Donald Trump events

By: Neil Stevens (Diary) | March 11th, 2016 at 09:50 AM | 31

My advice for reporters and protestors visiting Donald Trump events is simple: You have a right to keep and bear arms. Use it. If Trump’s brownshirts know their targets are armed, they’ll get less handsy, fast.

Why are you even here except to advocate for Trump? Do you even own a Madonna album?

Skin: You have crossed a line. Bye.

I am the one that crossed the line. Okay.

Let's go back to Trump who hasn't in any way shape or form crossed the line and created this environment.

Silly hooligans for pushing back against this crap.

All hell breaking loose at what was going to be Trump's rally. Thousands of protestors stopped it from happening and made it into the building.

You reap what you sow. This is a man that has run a campaign on NOTHING hate bigotry, hate and racism and has incited violence. This is what you get. This is Trump's America.

And shame on anyone that would waste their vote on some no name just because they don't like Hillary possibly giving this man the White House. As a Bernie supporter I am disgusted by his other supporters who refuse to vote if he isn't the nominee.

Trump thanks you.

^^^This!!!

Skin is very self righteous. He actually comes in here and demands people vote for who he wants, as if that's gonna make a difference.

But don't you see it? If you don't vote at all, Donald Trump will be President of the United States.

That's the reality. Do you want that????

Ask yourself if you feel safe in a country with Donald FUCKING Trump in charge.

I love you for this. Well said. Nothing but the truth.

He appeals to the absolute worst kind of Americans. I am honestly afraid of what will happen if he actually wins this.

This whole thing with Hillary wrongly praising Nancy Reagan reminded me of how Madonna praised Margaret Thatcher last year and upset people because Thatcher had an equally terrible record on AIDS and LGBT rights.

You may have a bit of a point, but Madonna also wasn't considered shifty on gay rights. Everyone knows Madonna is a champion in that area and the outrage wore off quickly. It was just a social media faux pas. Hillary's problem is that the liberal base already doesn't trust her and they are a powerful force in the Democratic Primary, and now she's just given them more ammo to attack her with considering she was already "late to the game" when it came to gay rights (although some argue Obama was too, fair enough).

There is a thing in politics called "a self-reinforcing narrative"...and it's when you inadvertently give people reasons to believe the worst rumors about you.

I'm not trying to make this out to be a bigger deal than it is. Wrongful praise of Nancy Reagan isn't going to bring down the weather-worn Clinton Machine, but she needs to be thinking about the general election and how she can keep liberals from sitting at home on Election Night. I don't think she should just rely on Trump fear.

But what exactly did she say? Did she really praise the Regans or what? All I could gather was something like "the Reagans helped to start a conversation about AIDS ..." Which can be read in one way or the other. Unfortunately many saw this as praise and therefore it backfired and made her apologize. But I can totally see this being criticism as well. The fact that Reagan was so quiet about AIDS, the fact he didn't do anything for such a long time that caused so many deaths made many many people, first and foremost the gay community, very angry and empowered them immensely. Therefore he indeed started something. Unconciously. Is it a fair question to ask if one of the greatest and proudest moments of gay history, fighting for and finding an effective HIV/AIDS treatment, would have ever happened if there was a president in the White House that was 100% percent dedicated to the cause from the get go? It sounds very harsh, I know, but let's face it, revolutionary things always happen out of anger and devastation and injustice. Reagans stance on AIDS brought all those things together. Maybe this is what Hillary had on mind? Quite frankly, this is very much reminds me of Madonna. How many times has she said something, instagrammed something that people took way too literal and she ended up in a fight with the word police and social justice warriors. Just my thoughts. I may be way off.

But what exactly did she say? Did she really praise the Regans or what? All I could gather was something like "the Reagans helped to start a conversation about AIDS ..." Which can be read in one way or the other. Unfortunately many saw this as praise and therefore it backfired and made her apologize. But I can totally see this being criticism as well. The fact that Reagan was so quiet about AIDS, the fact he didn't do anything for such a long time that caused so many deaths made many many people, first and foremost the gay community, very angry and empowered them immensely. Therefore he indeed started something. Unconciously. Is it a fair question to ask if one of the greatest and proudest moments of gay history, fighting for and finding an effective HIV/AIDS treatment, would have ever happened if there was a president in the White House that was 100% percent dedicated to the cause from the get go? It sounds very harsh, I know, but let's face it, revolutionary things always happen out of anger and devastation and injustice. Reagans stance on AIDS brought all those things together. Maybe this is what Hillary had on mind? Quite frankly, this is very much reminds me of Madonna. How many times has she said something, instagrammed something that people took way too literal and she ended up in a fight with the word police and social justice warriors. Just my thoughts. I may be way off.

"It may be hard for your viewers to remember how difficult it was for people to talk about HIV-AIDS back in the 1980s. And because of both president and Mrs. Reagan — in particular Mrs. Reagan — we started a national conversation," Clinton said.
"When before nobody would talk about it, nobody wanted to do anything about it, and that too is something that I really appreciate with her very effective, low-key advocacy, but it penetrated the public conscious, and people began to say, 'Hey, we have to do something about this, too.'"
The thing is lots of people talked about it - even Madonna for heaven's sake, and the Reagans ignored them until thousands had died. A friend of Nancy's did say that she [Nancy] was the reason Ronald started directing dollars towards research, but the same friend also said the Reagans wouldn't have waited until thousands were dead if it had been children and not gay people. The Reagans treated gay people like trash in the 80's. Absolute trash.

"It may be hard for your viewers to remember how difficult it was for people to talk about HIV-AIDS back in the 1980s. And because of both president and Mrs. Reagan — in particular Mrs. Reagan — we started a national conversation," Clinton said.
"When before nobody would talk about it, nobody wanted to do anything about it, and that too is something that I really appreciate with her very effective, low-key advocacy, but it penetrated the public conscious, and people began to say, 'Hey, we have to do something about this, too.'"

Ouch. The first sentence is still quite ambivalent. But the second? I have read it a few times now and I find the wording and structuring really strange. What irks me is the "I really appreciate" part. Otherwise, it is up for debate if you take certain parts out and restruct the sentence.

When before nobody would talk about it/nobody wanted to do anything about it - this fits Reagans administration like a glove

Low key advocacy - what could that mean if not saying she/they did nothing

Lets just say "low key advocacy was very effective in penetrating the public conscious and people began to say "Hey we have to do something about this". - and here you have the exact discription of what really happened back then, Act up.

On the other hand there is this word "too" which could imply the Reagans actually did something or could "too" used in this way simply mean "other people do something"

Is there a way this was all meant to be shade and it somehow got wrong. I'm sorry, it may all be a little bit far-fetched.

^ I dunno. Like I said, I don't think this is a huge deal and I don't believe that Hillary really thinks the Reagans were genuinely concerned about the AIDS crisis. I think she was just trying to say something nice about Nancy (in memorium) and it came across as trying to white wash history. It was a blunder for sure. Dan Savage is already ready to rally liberals away from her, which is problematic if she does win the nomination. She needs those votes.

^ I dunno. Like I said, I don't think this is a huge deal and I don't believe that Hillary really thinks the Reagans were genuinely concerned about the AIDS crisis. I think she was just trying to say something nice about Nancy (in memorium) and it came across as trying to white wash history. It was a blunder for sure. Dan Savage is already ready to rally liberals away from her, which is problematic if she does win the nomination. She needs those votes.

On the other hand Peter Staley already made clear he thinks she made a mistake and he is not a "one topic voter" and other people shouldn't either. And sorry, if I have to decide I'd rather listen to an Act Up / TAG member who is a far more important figure and authority on this very topic. While Dan Savage may be a kind of important person on gay-related issues, like "It gets better", DADT and marriage equality, he somehow comes across like a self-serving person.