R.I.P. Giulio Regeni, 28 yo

so this italian guy

PAY-Missing-Cambridge-PhD-student-Giulio

he was a young student doing is doctorate in a foreign country, doing articles about idipendent unions. he disapeared on a night where he was going to meet friends and a teacher, on a date near the anniversary of a revolution. the police said they couldn't find him....then under pressure of italian diplomacy they announced his death, caused by a car accident.

some of his personal things (pc or phone, don't remember) "disappeared". the italian ambassador, when finally saw the body, was horrified by his state...new autopsy found signs of violence and torture, probably lasted days (i won't go into horrifying details). one of the local police man making the official investigation was in the past inquired for homicide and torture of a suspect....

r.i.p. Giulio and may your soul, if it exists, find relief

Mona Seif

Via Ahmed Ragab
Khaled Shalaby, the investigative officer assigned for Guilio Regini's case was convicted by Alexandria criminal court in 2003 for forging police report and torturing -with 2 other officers- a man to death.
He was sentenced to one year in prison - the sentence was suspended.

خالد شلبي, رئيس ادارة المباحث الجنائية المسنود له التحقيق في قتل جوليو ريجيني, سبق و أدين بحكم محكمة جنايات الأسكندرية في 2003 لتزويره محضر و مشاركته - مع اخرين- في تعذيب المواطن شوقي أحم...

See More

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/opinion/outrage-over-an-italian-students-murder-in-egypt.html?_r=0

Outrage Over an Italian Student’s Murder in Egypt

11thu3web-master675.jpg
Italy is in an uproar over the torture and murder in Egypt of Giulio Regeni, a 28-year-old Italian doctoral student at Cambridge University who disappeared in Cairo on Jan. 25 and whose half-naked, battered body was found in a ditch Feb. 3, hours after Italian officials appealed directly to President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi of Egypt for help in locating the missing student.
Italy’s interior minister, Angelino Alfano, said Mr. Regeni’s body bore evidence of “inhuman, animal-like, unacceptable violence” — exactly the kind of torture security forces regularly inflict on Egyptians. It is unusual for Egyptian security services to target foreigners, and Egyptian authorities deny their security forces had anything to do with Mr. Regeni’s torture and death. On Monday, Egypt’s interior minister, Maj. Gen. Magdi Abdel-Ghaffar, made an incredible claim: “Such crimes have never been attributed to the Egyptian security apparatus.”
The Italian press is not buying this story. A headline in La Repubblica on Monday read: “Giulio Regeni was tortured because they thought he was a spy.” In the paranoid realm of Egypt’s government-cowed news media, foreigners are regularly portrayed as spies.
Under Mr. Sisi’s government thousands of Egyptians have been imprisoned. Torture and enforced disappearance are commonplace. Academics, human rights activists and journalists have been specially singled out. Mr. Regeni’s murder is sure to put a deep chill on academic freedom in Egypt.
In addition to paranoia, Mr. Sisi’s government is in a panic over the sorry state of Egypt’s economy — hit hard by a drop in tourism — and fearful of the restlessness this could spark. Though Mr. Regeni’s dissertation research focused on trade unions, a delicate topic in Egypt, friends and colleagues said he was careful in how he carried it out.
The day he disappeared was the fifth anniversary of the 2011 uprising that brought down the government of President Hosni Mubarak. To make sure there would be no trouble, the police were out in force that day when Mr. Regeni left his home to attend a birthday party. It was the last anyone heard from him.
Italy is counting on Egypt to help contain the Islamist threat in Libya, and Italy has strong commercial ties with Egypt as well. But Mr. Regeni’s murder has profoundly shocked the Italian people and government. The foreign affairs minister, Paolo Gentiloni, vowed, “We want the truth to come out, every last bit of it.”
The truth is, it is high time for all of Egypt’s allies, including the United States, to make it clear to Mr. Sisi that the abuses he has encouraged to flourish can no longer be tolerated. Italy has sent a team of investigators to Egypt to assist in the investigation of Mr. Regeni’s death. The Egyptian government must ensure that security forces cooperate fully and transparently.

Academics sign letter demanding investigation into death of Cambridge student

More than 4,600 academics from across the world have signed a protest letter following the death of a PhD student from Cambridge University. Giulio Regeni vanished last month while carrying out field research in the Egyptian capital of Cairo. His body was found by the side of a road in the Western outskirts of the Egyptian capital last week, and showed signs of having been tortured.

stream_img.jpg

Friends and academics are now calling for a thorough investigation into the 28-year-old's death and the growing number of people going missing in Egypt.

Cambridge professor William Brown is one of thousands of professors and other academics who have put their name to a letter calling on the Egyptian authorities to cooperate with an independent inquiry.

"It's very important that social scientists go and talk to people of all outlooks and find out what's going on. That's what makes society civilised. For Giulio to come to this terrible end - its a dangerous precedent."

– PROF. WILLIAM BROWN, EMERITUS PROFESSOR OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS, UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE

stream_img.jpg

Giulio's disappearance on January 25 coincided a security crackdown in the Egyptian capital on the 5th anniversary of the uprising that toppled former leader Hosni Mubarak.

Egypt's interior minister, Magdi Abdel Ghaffar, has rejected accusations that security forces were involved in Guilio's disappearance.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/egypt-torturers-chopped-off-killed-cambridge-student-giulio-regenis-ears-1542790

Shocking details of the "inhuman violence" suffered by an Italian student tortured and killed in Cairo began to emerge, as thousands of academics signed a protest letter demanding Egypt thoroughly investigates its worsening record of forced disappearances.

Giulio Regeni was found with both his ears chopped off, numerous broken bones and two missing nails that had been tore off from a finger and a toe, sources close to the investigation told Italy's Ansa news agency.

The body of The University of Cambridge PhD student was also covered in stab wounds, including some to the sole, consistent with an object similar to an ice pick. The revelations came after Italian forensics carried out a second autopsy when the 28-year-old's corpse was repatriated.

The analysis concluded Regeni died as a neck vertebra snapped due to a heavy blow or a violent twisting of the head. Italy's Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said the results indicate the student was exposed to "inhuman, animal-like" violence.

Guest Rachelle of London

I'm sorry Spazz, you know how much I love you, but I would never, ever go in your barbaric country. Never.

Stay safe, ok? Don't do anything that would lead you into trouble.

Egypt is a wonderful and beautiful place filled with amazing people.

Guest Rachelle of London

Yes I hear great things.

Please do not judge a whole country by criminals evil shits.

RIP Giulio.

I've been twice. My brother in law is of Egyptian descent and is one of the loveliest blokes ever. Not to mention my love and adoration for Emad (Spazz.)

Not a fan of the politics of the country but if we're gonna stop going places where there's corruption and killings there'd be nowhere to go. Literally.

Civil rights may not be important to you, but they are to me.

While you close your eyes on this, many people suffer.

No matter if it's about gender, sexual orientation, politic, etc. It is and will always remain inexcusable.

That's our duty to voice this opinion and to say out loud it is not something we will tolerate.

You know I love you, I don't think that's fair, Runa, and it sounds very condescending.

A lot of us people can't help the fact that we live in countries with oppressive corrupt governments, many of which have been put into power by the west (Egypt is a prime example of international intervention).

These types of things happen in Mexico on a daily basis but I can assure you if you were to come to Mexico you would notice that Mexicans are some of the nicest and most hospitable people you will ever meet and our government and all the heinous human rights violations they commit doesn't reflect us AT ALL.

It's like me refusing to go to the U.S. or Israel because I STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY disagree with their politics. Or refusing to go to India because in some extremely poor and rural parts of the country there are child brides. That's so lame.

And it's funny that you'd probably never even think twice before going to China even though it's a disgustingly corrupt country that carries out the most public executions than anywhere else on the planet.

Well China is on my list of country to avoid, tbqh.

Every country are corrupts and/or have some problems. Canada is far from perfect. Just ask those poor indigenous women up north.

For 10 years our right wing government refused to do anything about them, about the fact many women are killed and disapeared. I don't say my country is better.

But what I say is we have a voice and I must use it.

I wrote to my deputy, a few months ago, to ask for an official public inquiry about that because I thought it was frightening to see that indigenous women in Canada are murdered four times the rate of other women. We finally changed our government last November. And something will be done, finally.

That's what I mean by voicing my opinion. Taking action. Do something. Or refuse to do something as a protest.

And, by the way, I don't have anything about egyptian. But I have a lot about their national politic.

You may think I'm condescending, but I'm not. Maybe I get lost in translation. Madonna thought me to use my voice. And I do. I'm proud of that. I won't close my eyes.

I don't think Madonna would refuse to go to Egypt because she doesn't like the way their GOVERNMENT treat gays, women and other minorities (Christians, for example).

She goes to Turkey and flashes a titty. Or she goes to Russia and prances around and hands out rainbow flags to everyone.

I mean, it does seem condescending. I know you guys are riled up right now, but why not refuse to go to the U.S. for killing over 100,000 in Iraq after lying to us that we HAD TO invade them because they were a threat to the world? Just so you can get an idea of how much is 100,000, I'll include these dots for you.

10000dots.gif

10000dots.gif

10000dots.gif

10000dots.gif

10000dots.gif

That's not the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't blame all Americans and all my friends back home in the U.S. for what happened in Iraq. I blame the U.S. government, the UK government, the Australian government and the Polish government.

What happened in Egypt isn't Spazz's fault and I think it's offensive to basically write off his country because of something his government did. It's almost like you expect an apology from him.