2016 Presidential Election Thread Part 2

Skin

I think Marco Rubio is a hottie. But, he's anti-everything I stand for and would never vote for him. I am sure some people might be swayed by his superficial attractiveness, but not enough to throw an election. He would present a sharper contrast against the Democratic ticket as our two front-runners are senior citizens. The Dems really need to get Booker and Castro up to speed soon. Our bench is pretty thin with good candidates for future elections.

Soooooo over the Berne vs Hillary feuds whether its on here or other social media platforms.

Fact of the matter is, if one of these two people are not our next President, this country is FUCKED!

I said the same exact thing in 2008 when I supported Obama over Hillary while everyone here supported Hillary at the time. That if she was the nominee I would still be voting for her.

I liked the way they ended the debate tonight sharing mutual respect for each other, and totally agreed with Sanders when he said that on him an Hillary's worst days, either of them would still be a million times better for this county then any republican running.

she's killing this debate!

I agree. She's killing it with lies and changing the topic. She is an excellent debater. There's no doubt about it. It's one thing to be an excellent debater. It's another thing to be an honest person. Unfortunately, I can only give her credit for the former. I loved all the talk about money in politics during the debate and was surprised at how much attention was given to the topic. From yesterday's Town Hall:

I love her defense on taking money from Wall Street, claiming that they cannot influence her -- that she will shut them down, go after them, jail them, etc. If you are going to be so tough on Wall Street then why would they bother donating to your campaign? :think: I don't know about everyone else, but if I were threatening someone, I would not expect that someone to be donating money to me. :lightbulb:

I love how Elizabeth "Warren G" stepped in.

Bernie is all talk. Free tuition yeah good luck with that lol. He has the youth vote because of his "free tuition" goals which r totally unrealistic. He even got confused like an old man during the debate. Clinton has a record of accomplishing things.

Go Hillary!

I agree. She's killing it with lies and changing the topic. She is an excellent debater. There's no doubt about it. It's one thing to be an excellent debater. It's another thing to be an honest person. Unfortunately, I can only give her credit for the former. I loved all the talk about money in politics during the debate and was surprised at how much attention was given to the topic. From yesterday's Town Hall:

I love her defense on taking money from Wall Street, claiming that they cannot influence her -- that she will shut them down, go after them, jail them, etc. If you are going to be so tough on Wall Street then why would they bother donating to your campaign? :think: I don't know about everyone else, but if I were threatening someone, I would not expect that someone to be donating money to me. :lightbulb:

I don't disagree that Wall Street donations aren't troubling, but Obama accepted plenty of Wall Street money for his Presidential campaign in 2008 and still passed Dodd-Frank.

I am also tired about hearing how bringing back Glass-Steagall is the answer. It was toothless legislation by the time Bill Clinton repealed it anyway: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/aug/19/bill-clinton/bill-clinton-glass-steagall-had-nothing-do-financi/

By the way, Bernie won't get ANY new financial reform through a GOP House anyway, so voting on that point is ridiculous. We won't get a comprehensive financial reform bill through again until after 2024 when the next census map for Congress is in play.

Guest Rachelle of London

Bernie is all talk. Free tuition yeah good luck with that lol. He has the youth vote because of his "free tuition" goals which r totally unrealistic. He even got confused like an old man during the debate. Clinton has a record of accomplishing things.

Go Hillary!

Hillary is hardly a spring chicken herself. What is she? 70? That's not young either

Hillary is hardly a spring chicken herself. What is she? 70? That's not young either

She's 68, so yeah she is close to 70. However, Bernie will be 75 in November so he'd be pushing 80 running for re-election in 2020 (assuming he'd win this year). If Hillary won two terms, she'd still only be 77 when she left office in 2024.

Guest Rachelle of London

She's 68, so yeah she is close to 70. However, Bernie will be 75 in November so he'd be pushing 80 running for re-election in 2020 (assuming he'd win this year). If Hillary won two terms, she'd still only be 77 when she left office in 2024.

Exactly she's old. You can't insult another person who is only 6 years older than her and use age as the excuse. She's over the retirement age as well.

Go Hillary!

This is something I'm curious. If a country like Brazil (smaller GPS than USA) can provide excellent public universties without tuition, why the USA couldn't?

I always thought the difference was a cultural one. That North Americans strongly believe on "do it yourself", while Latin Americans and Europeans believe that the State should provide the basics.

So why do you say the USA couldn't do that?

Go Hillary!

:chuckle:

Signed. Free tuition in the US, of all places, yes right :rotfl: They can't even get an extension on health coverage without accusing the President of wanting to turn the US into the USSR. Or get a long overdue overhaul on gun control

This is something I'm curious. If a country like Brazil (smaller GPS than USA) can provide excellent public universties without tuition, why the USA couldn't?

I always thought the difference was a cultural one. That North Americans strongly believe on "do it yourself", while Latin Americans and Europeans believe that the State should provide the basics.

So why do you say the USA couldn't do that?

I agree that US universities are terribly overpriced. To ask for $150,000 a year for the best one in order to get the same education you can get for a tenth of that or less in top notch world class institutions in other parts of the world is laughable. That is what makes the US a country for rich people only, that and the ridiculous health system

But just like for the industry and the lobbies behind the gun control issue (financing political campaigns etc) it is very unrealistic to think he'll be able to go from $150,000 a year to FREE tuition alltogether.

Debate was dreadful and painful to watch. Bernie looked/reeked from weakness and submissiveness...even borderline senile :/ Not feelin the Bern..sorry. Hillary was angry, cunty and even more unlikable than ever. Two atrocious, UN-electable candidates! Hope the 'rumblings' are correct that the Dems are working to do 'something' crafty just make it look there's a legit reason she needed to get out of the race! Never loved or really cared for her but in 2008 or pre this election cycle def. would've voted for her. She's been 24/7 cringe worthy, desperate this entire cycle!

Theres like NO one on either side who doesn't suck. I still say the Kasich 'seems' like only semi sane experienced one! Unless the Dems yank out a Biden/Warren or something damn close my gut is telling me more/more Rubio (as equally awful as the rest) will simply win and win big by fucking default...not 'cause he deserves it in any possible way! Doesn't even need to be a big turnout for the Rubthugs! It's just I don't see Dems coming out at all. Will end up like midterm election turnout= he wins! Unlike '08 when if Obama lost the primary, his voters def. would've gone to Hillary. Polar opposite now. Sanders supporters reeally hate/dislike Hillary. Rubio will win cause the Dems are just 'that' bad..possibly the worst two people they've ever had running.

Please choose Hilary already. Why is it so hard to choose a first female president?

That Bernie guy is awful and forgettable.

So, we should just choose Hillary because she would be the first female president? This is the type of logic that is one of the main problems. We shouldn't choose a person so that he/she could be the first of something. We should choose that person on issues and integrity. It doesn't matter that she is bought and paid for and is dishonest to you? You just care that she has a vagina? Like I've stated earlier, nothing is ever going to change in the U.S. until we get money out of politics. This is the core issue in my view. This is why I will not for this woman and any other corporate fed politician. If Hillary being the first female president is that important to you, then go ahead and vote for her.

I agree that US universities are terribly overpriced. To ask for $150,000 a year for the best one in order to get the same education you can get for a tenth of that or less in top notch world class institutions in other parts of the world is laughable. That is what makes the US a country for rich people only, that and the ridiculous health system

But just like for the industry and the lobbies behind the gun control issue (financing political campaigns etc) it is very unrealistic to think he'll be able to go from $150,000 a year to FREE tuition alltogether.

I agree, but if no one at least starts trying, it will be impossible indeed.

. Rubio will win cause the Dems are just 'that' bad..possibly the worst two people they've ever had running.

:madgemanson:

Can we pin this post to look back on when either Bernie or Hillary becomes our next President?

So, we should just choose Hillary because she would be the first female president? This is the type of logic that is one of the main problems. We shouldn't choose a person so that he/she could be the first of something. We should choose that person on issues and integrity. It doesn't matter that she is bought and paid for and is dishonest to you? You just care that she has a vagina? Like I've stated earlier, nothing is ever going to change in the U.S. until we get money out of politics. This is the core issue in my view. This is why I will not for this woman and any other corporate fed politician. If Hillary being the first female president is that important to you, then go ahead and vote for her.

I actually agree with you on this. I cringe when people say they want to vote for her so we can have a female president. You should vote for someone to do the hardest job on the planet because you believe they are qualified and could handle it.

As to your second point, how is Bernie going to get money out of politics? You do realize that (at this point) with the SCOTUS's Citizens United decision it would take a constitutional amendment to bar money from politics:

The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures. None of the 27 amendments to the Constitution have been proposed by constitutional convention. The Congress proposes an amendment in the form of a joint resolution. Since the President does not have a constitutional role in the amendment process, the joint resolution does not go to the White House for signature or approval.

No President will have any role in an amendment process. If that's your main issue you should sit out the Presidential election and just vote for Congressional candidates.

I actually agree with you on this. I cringe when people say they want to vote for her so we can have a female president. You should vote for someone to do the hardest job on the planet because you believe they are qualified and could handle it.

As to your second point, how is Bernie going to get money out of politics? You do realize that (at this point) with the SCOTUS's Citizens United decision it would take a constitutional amendment to bar money from politics:

The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures. None of the 27 amendments to the Constitution have been proposed by constitutional convention. The Congress proposes an amendment in the form of a joint resolution. Since the President does not have a constitutional role in the amendment process, the joint resolution does not go to the White House for signature or approval.

No President will have any role in an amendment process. If that's your main issue you should sit out the Presidential election and just vote for Congressional candidates.

Honestly, I do not expect Bernie to be the person to get money out of politics. I never did. It takes people joining together, starting a political revolution, and standing up by voting for those candidates who do not take money from corporations and who are not tied to the special interests. This is what I'm talking about. Many of the things that you point out I know that Bernie will not be able to do on his own. However, bringing these issues to light is where things start, not just ignoring them and settling for the system that we have.

I don't disagree that Wall Street donations aren't troubling, but Obama accepted plenty of Wall Street money for his Presidential campaign in 2008 and still passed Dodd-Frank.

I am also tired about hearing how bringing back Glass-Steagall is the answer. It was toothless legislation by the time Bill Clinton repealed it anyway: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/aug/19/bill-clinton/bill-clinton-glass-steagall-had-nothing-do-financi/

By the way, Bernie won't get ANY new financial reform through a GOP House anyway, so voting on that point is ridiculous. We won't get a comprehensive financial reform bill through again until after 2024 when the next census map for Congress is in play.

Obama is also the guy who wants to pass the TPP, a trade deal that the corporations adore. Why would he be in favor of a trade deal that is going to kill more American jobs? Even Hillary was smart enough to flip-flop and is now against it (for now at least).

The reality is that Bernie is going to struggle, but getting people involved in the political process will hopefully result in more people voting for non-corrupt candidates and eventually creating some change in this country. So many of you are just happy to accept the way things are now and have given up on the political process. Bernie may not be able to get most of his ideas passed, but at least he is bringing the issues and the corruptness to light. Furthermore, he has integrity, something that I cannot say of most political candidates.