MadonnaNation.com Forums
realityisalways

Was "Open Your Heart" written for Cyndi Lauper?

I remember Bray said Madonna wrote the lyrics for ITG very quickly. She laid on the floor and just written the lyrics, he was amazed by her abilities as producer and songwriter.

This is not a "rejected song" but on one of the Pet Shop Boys compilations say that they wrote "Heart" thinking in Madonna but they decided not to send them the song because she was so big that they thought she would refuse it because she was working with people more important than them.

I love that song and I can "hear" the "Madonna like a virgin's voice" singing it. But hey, at least PSB did a great job

Madonna wrote and recorded Love Won't Wait during the BS sessions but it ultimately went to Gary Barlow who released it and scored a hit.

Madonna gave Each Time You Break My Heart to Nick Kamen in 1986 which she originally intended for True Blue.

its actually the exact opposite. Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly the writers of Like A Virgin offered Madonna True Colors and she turned that down and it went over to Cyndi.

Wow!!!!

Also she wrote this with Rick Nowels (I think) and gave it to Kylie

Just to clarify, it was the instrumental of LTT that was rejected for that other movie. He then took the track to Madonna, who was working on a song for "At Close Range". She wrote the melody and the lyrics to Pat's backing track (a la LIB, as outlined by the awesome thebeatswithin!). This is why the song was ineligible for an Oscar nomination - the music was originally written for a different movie, so even though the song itself was written specifically for "At Close Range", it was still ineligible.

Yeah, I was sure Madonna wrote/ had imput to the lyrics to Live to Tell, for a moment here I was a bit shocked. :lol:

Yeah, I was sure Madonna wrote/ had imput to the lyrics to Live to Tell, for a moment here I was a bit shocked. :lol:

She wrote the lyrics and developed the melody based on Pat's piano melodic line. You can hear the basic outline of the melody in the instrumental, but Madonna made all of the changes you hear her sing.

E.g. you can hear the "I have a tale to tell" melody played by the piano. On other lines, though, she sings a variation of this (e.g. "sometimes it gets so hard to hide it well" - Madonna wrote that based on Pat's "I have a tale to tell" piano melody....). As I said, though, the lyrics are all hers (according to Pat).

Stuart Price commented that Madonna has an incredible ability to be able to create a melody on the spot over an instrumental track. That takes real musical talent, because she have to know what notes work with the chords, which notes fit the key etc. etc. She's never given recognition for any of this, though, no matter how many of her collaborators praise her for it.

What????

Madonna wrote Into The Grove with Bray herself during the pauses of the filming!

Oh, she wrote it...but I think another singer was in mind. Shayne?

Didn't William Orbit deny the story about Don't Wake Me Up?

Yes, he did. "Don't Wake Me Up" was never intended for Madonna or given to her for consideration. It was recorded by Chris Brown during the F.A.M.E. sessions in late 2010, though it wasn't released until 2012.

This is not a "rejected song" but on one of the Pet Shop Boys compilations say that they wrote "Heart" thinking in Madonna but they decided not to send them the song because she was so big that they thought she would refuse it because she was working with people more important than them.

I love that song and I can "hear" the "Madonna like a virgin's voice" singing it. But hey, at least PSB did a great job

I'd prefer her Causing a Commotion voice :blush:

La Isla Bontia was made for Michalia Jacksonist

Thank God M took it.

If I ran away.... is the best part of the song.

And a highlight of M's career.

I remember Patrick Leonard commented that M wrote the lyrics to LIT really quickly and her vocals were recorded in one take for the demo. No other take was recorded and the demo vocals were the version he used for the final version. He added that the liked the rawness in her voice which was filled with so much emotions, and if you listen real carefully, you can actually hear her shuffling the papers of the lyrics. I never caught that.

I love this topic, I'm learning a lot.

Does anyone know much about this ~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessive_Love other than what's on Wikipedia?

Is there a demo by M?

Nothing has ever leaked. During the WTG tour, it was rumoured that Madonna was working on new music with Jai Winding (one of her keyboardists), but this is the only track to surface with him.

Nothing has ever leaked. During the WTG tour, it was rumoured that Madonna was working on new music with Jai Winding (one of her keyboardists), but this is the only track to surface with him.

Thanks, I didn't know about those rumours. I'm sure there is so much we have never heard.

She wrote the lyrics and developed the melody based on Pat's piano melodic line. You can hear the basic outline of the melody in the instrumental, but Madonna made all of the changes you hear her sing.

E.g. you can hear the "I have a tale to tell" melody played by the piano. On other lines, though, she sings a variation of this (e.g. "sometimes it gets so hard to hide it well" - Madonna wrote that based on Pat's "I have a tale to tell" piano melody....). As I said, though, the lyrics are all hers (according to Pat).

Stuart Price commented that Madonna has an incredible ability to be able to create a melody on the spot over an instrumental track. That takes real musical talent, because she have to know what notes work with the chords, which notes fit the key etc. etc. She's never given recognition for any of this, though, no matter how many of her collaborators praise her for it.

Thanks!