Ghosttown #1 Best Song of 2015 | Rolling Stone mag readers' poll

Gaudet

Am I the only one who thinks Warner has something to do with MDNA / Rebel Heart singles not taking off ? Just so strange they didn't even chart

It has nothing to do with Warner. Her contract with them ended with Celebration remember?

Am I the only one who thinks Warner has something to do with MDNA / Rebel Heart singles not taking off ? Just so strange they didn't even chart

It has all to do with Interscope / Universal not lifting a single finger marketing wise. They took the distribution deal very literal. Technically they may not have done anything wrong but not using your influence on ageist radio when you have the biggest star on the planet on your roaster is disgusting behaviour. AND their way to show any artist that a 360 deal with a touring company might result in a big decrease in sales because you don't have the powers of a record company behind you to market your work properly. This is a big "Think Twice!" message or dare I say warning.

It has all to do with Interscope / Universal not lifting a single finger marketing wise. They took the distribution deal very literal. Technically they may not have done anything wrong but not using your influence on ageist radio when you have the biggest star on the planet on your roaster is disgusting behaviour. AND their way to show any artist that a 360 deal with a touring company might result in a big decrease in sales because you don't have the powers of a record company behind you to market your work properly. This is a big "Think Twice!" message or dare I say warning.

yes

Exactly. I think there is an immense amount of politics involved that so many underestimate.

Readers' Poll: The 10 Best Songs of 2015 See which single beat Drake and the Alabama Shakes for the top spot

720x405-GettyImages-487488124.jpg
(Kevin Mazur/Getty)

The music industry has had a historic 12 months as the streaming wars heated up and album sales reached record-breaking highs thanks to Adele after years of diminishing returns. As the business itself faced incredible changes, breaking artists and veteran musicians alike experimented with their sounds, doing everything from throwing back to the Seventies to getting everyone to cha-cha. As 2015 comes to an end, we asked our readers to vote for their favorite songs of the year.

1.Madonna, "Ghosttown"

Even in a great year for pop music, Madonna is still the queen. The power ballad off her March album Rebel Heart was a more classic pop turn for the singer after the house hit "Living for Love" and trap digression of "Bitch I'm Madonna." On the massive, romantic track, the singer tackles both world issues and a reflection of self. Even though the single didn't crack the Billboard Hot 100, it still topped the dance charts and showcased one of the singer's strongest vocal performances.

Rolling Stone

This has got to be payola. I mean there is no other way. Nobody bought this song, what readers voted for this?

But why?? Shouldn't a song be a hit on its own merit? Are you suggesting payola? What do you mean by influence? And I personally believe Interscope paid a lot of money to get this album good reviews. They did the same with Gaga for Born This Way.

This has got to be payola. I mean there is no other way. Nobody bought this song, what readers voted for this?

Bitch please! Rebel Heart sold 800K, and obviously, Ghosttown is part of that album so these 800K people have heard Ghosttown (plus the 20 millions who watched the video on Youtube or her many performances on TV, and also the people who downloaded the song). It's hardly "nobody".

nCnTCMEW.gif

Guest Rachelle of London

You people with your payola conspiracy theories. As if they would choose a Rolling Stone readers' poll to pour money into :laugh:

:dead:

Exactly!!! :lmao:

A bigger fan than you.

Anyone who has five posts, one of which accuses Madonna of payola and one of which says Rebel Heart is a terrible album will certainly be flushed out of here within a day or so.

A bigger fan than you.

The trolls get stupider and stupider. Fancy telling Raf who is a huge Madonna fan and loved member for years , that you are a bigger fan than him. Especially when every post you have done is negative trolling. I can feel a royal flush coming.

Bitch please! Rebel Heart sold 800K, and obviously, Ghosttown is part of that album so these 800K people have heard Ghosttown (plus the 20 millions who watched the video on Youtube or her many performances on TV, and also the people who downloaded the song). It's hardly "nobody".

nCnTCMEW.gif

And yet the song flopped everywhere? Didn't even chart on billboard? Doesn't make sense to me.

The trolls get stupider and stupider. Fancy telling Raf who is a huge Madonna fan and loved member for years , that you are a bigger fan than him. Especially when every post you have done is negative trolling. I can feel a royal flush coming.

I'm not a troll, I'm actually a huge Madonna fan, but that's the way of fan forums, there is no dissension tolerated and certainly no individual thinking of any kind.

I'm not a troll, I'm actually a huge Madonna fan, but that's the way of fan forums, there is no dissension tolerated and certainly no individual thinking of any kind.

Surely when someone joins a fan forum, they don't start off by saying a positive poll result is payola and saying her albums are terrible. You are a troll and we are not stupid.

Surely when someone joins a fan forum, they don't start off by saying a positive poll result is payola and saying her albums are terrible. You are a troll and we are not stupid.

You most definitely are because I think for myself and as much as I love her, I'm not going to pretend Rebel Heart is ANY good because it isn't. And that's her latest project, so of course that's what I'm going to comment on. Tow bad you can't understand something so simple.

This miserable, disturbed cake creature is clearly not a fan AT ALL and is only here to troll. *FLUSH*

:tigger: Yes, Hector's Royal flush to the rescue. Love how Hector and our mods don't tolerate obvious miserable trolls.

I was listening to it last night and thinking how beautiful this song was. Well deserved!

It is such a beautiful song. Should have been a number 1 hit everywhere but lovely to see it get the recognition it deserves.

What was it, post #5 before eatmydirtycakesplease mentioned The Reductive Ones name?? Rather transparent wouldn't you say. :sassy:

PRESSED MUCH??

Love that GT is getting some props!! Truly, one of the best songs she's ever recorded! I feel like traditionally, M tends to fare quite well in RS year end readers polls', no?