Ghosttown #1 Best Song of 2015 | Rolling Stone mag readers' poll

Gaudet

Readers' Poll: The 10 Best Songs of 2015 See which single beat Drake and the Alabama Shakes for the top spot

720x405-GettyImages-487488124.jpg
(Kevin Mazur/Getty)

The music industry has had a historic 12 months as the streaming wars heated up and album sales reached record-breaking highs thanks to Adele after years of diminishing returns. As the business itself faced incredible changes, breaking artists and veteran musicians alike experimented with their sounds, doing everything from throwing back to the Seventies to getting everyone to cha-cha. As 2015 comes to an end, we asked our readers to vote for their favorite songs of the year.

1.Madonna, "Ghosttown"

Even in a great year for pop music, Madonna is still the queen. The power ballad off her March album Rebel Heart was a more classic pop turn for the singer after the house hit "Living for Love" and trap digression of "Bitch I'm Madonna." On the massive, romantic track, the singer tackles both world issues and a reflection of self. Even though the single didn't crack the Billboard Hot 100, it still topped the dance charts and showcased one of the singer's strongest vocal performances.

Rolling Stone

:clap: :clap: :clap: Ghosttown is such an amazing song, and yes this also took me by surprise!

I love this song and it's great that they made it their #1

However, every time they write "even though it didn't crack the Hot 100" they should explain their readers why.

Too often you read "Madonna always an icon, great at tours but not selling like she used to". That's misleading when put into context. When the truth is she is not to be found on US radio (and now increasingly in Europe as well), her new songs for sure. And everybody is selling less anyway, you cannot compare sales between acts who have 100 in radio exposure with acts who have 1. And in the US, of all places, thanks to Billboard dodgy streaming, you tube clicks, odd payola and corporate deal compiled charts

Ghosttown is a great pop song and deserved a shot at radio fit for an act like her

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I wish that love had shown up in the sales. This is nice recognition too, however.

IKR

But if people don't hear the song on radio, in malls etc they are not going to know about it. And it's not because she is not with WB anymore, has a touring/merchandising centred deal with LN and only a distribution deal with Universal

It's like they refuse to give her space on radio simply because she's the only 50 something female who still rakes in tens of millions from other platforms, in a radio and digital sales market artificially dominated by 20 and 30 yo acts

But if people don't hear the song on radio, in malls etc they are not going to know about it. And it's not because she is not with WB anymore, has a touring/merchandising centred deal with LN and only a distribution deal with Universal

It's like they refuse to give her space on radio simply because she's the only 50 something female who stills rakes in tens of millions from other platforms, in a radio and digital sales market artificially dominated by 20 and 30 yo acts

I love this song and it's great that they made it their #1

However, every time they write "even though it didn't crack the Hot 100" they should explain their readers why.

Too often you read "Madonna always an icon, great at tours but not selling like she used to". That's misleading when put into context. When the truth is she is not to be found on US radio (and now increasingly in Europe as well), her new songs for sure. And everybody is selling less anyway, you cannot compare sales between acts who have 100 in radio exposure with acts who have 1. And in the US, of all places, thanks to Billboard dodgy streaming, you tube clicks, odd payola and corporate deal compiled charts

Ghosttown is a great pop song and deserved a shot at radio fit for an act like her

Watch out XXL, you speak too much truth for some folks... :wink:

Ageism didn't stop radio stations all over Europe from playing every new single of hers up until Celebration. Once she switched her contract and the MDNA singles were released that's when airplay suddenly started to drop heavily. Don't get me wrong there's definitely ageism involved as to why her songs won't receive much airplay anymore, especially in the US I'm sure it's the most valid reason. But it's definitely not just ageism, her contract IS at fault for the ongoing situation too.

Anyway I guess I'm getting off topic...So happy to see non-hardcore fans appreciating the song that much, and I definitely agree with them it's one of the best songs if not the best song of this year. Definitely a hit that never was.