Do Teens know 80s music?

horn

Not really too surprised teens don't know eighties music since many of them don't even know popular music from 10 to 15 years ago!

Popular music also use to be a bit more revolutionary and interesting. and not nearly as stale, generic, and overly corporatized as recently. There's still amazing music being released, but mainly from less popular artists.

Yeah, but I was listening to Buddy Holly, Frank Sinatra and The Beatles when I was teenager. 10 to 15 years before my time.

What the hell were their parents listening to?

If I had kids today, they'd be able to name every Madonna song. Because I'd quiz them. LOL.

I learned so much from my father but most of all when I got into Madonna I learned everything from MTV Madonna weekends. I used to tape them. I still have them and even memorised the jewish commercials. they advertised a lot of amazing 70s CDs in the commercials too. now, kids got everything at their fingertips and know NOTHING.

To be fair when I was growing up, I only listened to current stuff from MTV and the radio, and not older artists from other times. But back then, it was harder to find out about older artists since we didn't have youtube or the Internet.

I never took advice from my parents on music. They didn't like pop music, just classical, jazz and bluegrass. I actually have educated my mom about pop music. I made her like Madonna and Tori Amos!

I think some teenagers now do know about older artists. Among some teenagers who are into rock/indie, Nirvana is the hottest thing now so it's not true all teenagers don't know about older artists, but it's normal you relate more to people closer to your own age. Nothing wrong with that, but I wish there were more younger artists now who had more substance and write their own music like Madonna and Duran Duran when I was growing up.

To be fair when I was growing up, I only listened to current stuff from MTV and the radio, and not older artists from other times. But back then, it was harder to find out about older artists since we didn't have youtube or the Internet.

I never took advice from my parents on music. They didn't like pop music, just classical, jazz and bluegrass. I actually have educated my mom about pop music. I made her like Madonna and Tori Amos!

I think some teenagers now do know about older artists. Among some teenagers who are into rock/indie, Nirvana is the hottest thing now so it's not true all teenagers don't know about older artists, but it's normal you relate more to people closer to your own age. Nothing wrong with that, but I wish there were more younger artists now who had more substance and write their own music like Madonna and Duran Duran when I was growing up.

lets be honest, the only song from nirvana they know is the Teen spirit one. or maybe one other. or the grease movie. whatever's popular at a time. I just browsed around youtube and saw this documentary about madonna as a dancer and like 1/3rd of the "like bar" are dislikes. she doesn't have the best reputation and people dont like to give her credit as a songwriter, singer, or dancer.

lets be honest, the only song from nirvana they know is the Teen spirit one. or maybe one other. or the grease movie. whatever's popular at a time. I just browsed around youtube and saw this documentary about madonna as a dancer and like 1/3rd of the "like bar" are dislikes. she doesn't have the best reputation and people dont like to give her credit as a songwriter, singer, or dancer.

It depends on the teenager. Teenagers who are into rock and indie do know Nirvana and are influenced by them. I guess it's the nature of rock to look back at older artists since styles don't change as much, whereas pop is more about the hottest new thing.

I think people do respect Madonna's talents as a songwriter, singer and dancer. You cant' really go by stuff on youtube because most of the comments about every artist there are negative. It attracts haters. It's not really a fair sample of how all people think. For whatever reason people who love an artist, don't take the time to post there, just haters.

I learned so much from my father but most of all when I got into Madonna I learned everything from MTV Madonna weekends. I used to tape them. I still have them and even memorised the jewish commercials. they advertised a lot of amazing 70s CDs in the commercials too. now, kids got everything at their fingertips and know NOTHING.

Right?? You think that with how easy and accessible EVERYTHING (information-wise) is these days, that the younger generations would have one up on all of us older folks when it comes to pop culture (past and present). They just don't care, I guess.

On second thought, when they do happen to have some knowledge of 80s music and fall in love with major artists such as Madonna and Michael Jackson for instance, nothing else exist to them, they don't seem to have the curiosity to see where M and MJ's sound and style for example came from. Nothing prior to the 80s appear to have existed for these half-knowledge teens :biggrin:

They embark on hilarious claims such as "Madonna and MJ invented Pop Music" which, as much as I adore both of them, couldn't be further from the truth. It really isn't just a specific decade teens seem to be lacking knowledge of these days, it's the curiosity of digging a bit beyond what is corn-fed to them. As others have mentioned and I agree, with today's available information technology is kinda absurd, everything is at their disposal if they wish to, with very little effort unlike it was for us 20, 30+ years ago. :old:

No. The internet has robbed this younger generation's curiosity. They believe everything they read and aren't really interested in history.

Like my ex told me one time (he's really young) when talking about his education "Why would I be interested in history and theory? How's that going to teach me how to make money?" That basically sums up that generation :rolleyes:

No. The internet has robbed this younger generation's curiosity. They believe everything they read and aren't really interested in history.

Like my ex told me one time (he's really young) when talking about his education "Why would I be interested in history and theory? How's that going to teach me how to make money?" That basically sums up that generation :rolleyes:

Also no Music on TV

I remeber when i was a teen watching those MTV top 10s, and u learned from that

Disgusting.