The 60 greatest female singer-songwriters of all time

lasky

13: MADONNA The woman born Madonna Louise Ciccone is the biggest selling female artist ever, with 300 million records sold worldwide. From her beginnings as a rock drummer in The Breakfast Club in the late Seventies, through chart stardom with songs such as Into the Groove and Like a Prayer in the Eighties, up to her experimentation with dance and hip hop since the millennium, Madonna has tried most contemporary pop styles, mastering many. A current sold out world tour shows the ground-breaking 57-year-old is as popular as ever.
Credit: Gareth Cattermole/Getty

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/the-60-greatest-female-singer-songwriters-of-all-time/madonna/

Guest jamesshot

Great list. She should be higher but she is among great company. I feel artists who weren't around for a long time should not be so high on these lists. I think you need to have proven yourself for many years to be placed in this rarified company. I am looking at you Amy W, Adele, Goober (what a joke). There is something to say for longevity and creating great work over decades. That is so rare and extremely difficult to achieve. Dying young, before you had the chance to burn out, really elevates many people.

Great list. She should be higher but she is among great company. I feel artists who weren't around for a long time should not be so high on these lists. I think you need to have proven yourself for many years to be placed in this rarified company. I am looking at you Amy W, Adele, Goober (what a joke). There is something to say for longevity and creating great work over decades. That is so rare and extremely difficult to achieve. Dying young, before you had the chance to burn out, really elevates many people.

I agree let's see Adele or the artists who died young if they will/would be making great music even 2 decades later.

Longevity is the key.

Okay. How many artists have been inspired by Janis Joplin over the last 40+ years since her death at the age of 27?

Looks like the usual unbalanced list we are used to seeing around these days, even from once respectable publications such as RS etc. Some of the acts in the top 10 are so overrated. What pisses off some people is that Madonna is the only woman and one of the few acts period, male or female, to have both a huge commercial side to her career and at the same time authentic creative input and control and to have enjoyed that for much longer a period of time than anybody else on that list

You cannot lock someone of her countlessly proven songwriting talent out of the Top 10 and have her shortly followed by manufactured crap like Gargamella and Taylor Broomstick. But yes Joni Mitchell is more refined, dignified and a better lyricist than Madonna I guess :chuckle:

giphy.gif

tumblr_m8hyim1sy81ra9zzko1_400.gif

2mi2m1l.jpg

Taking into consideration "songwriting as well as singing"...

For me Top 10 should have been:

1 Kate Bush

2 Joni Mitchell

3 Bjork

4 Siouxsie

5 Madonna

6 Tori Amos

7 PJ Harvey

8 Sinead O'Connor

9 Nina Simone

10 Stevie Nicks

Why? Joni Mitchell is brilliant. Madonna is a big fan. She said one of her favorite albums is Court and Spark. I don't agree with the things she's said about Madonna and yes, she's old and bitter now but it doesn't change the brilliance of her older work.

Why? Joni Mitchell is brilliant. Madonna is a big fan. She said one of her favorite albums is Court and Spark. I don't agree with the things she's said about Madonna and yes, she's old and bitter now but it doesn't change the brilliance of her older work.

I agree with you that Joni is a brilliant lyricist

But so is Madonna as attested so many times by industry people and we know that as fans

I just don't understand why she's at #1 and Madonna is at #13 being closely followed by acts like Germanotta and Swift

That's the element of unbalancedness in this list

It doesn't make any sense at all

Good list and great to see Madonna at such a high position.

Notable omissions : Liz Phair, Heather Nova, Marina and the Diamonds.

So glad someone else knows the work of Heather Nova. Oyster, Siren, 300 Days at Sea: all divine.

I think this list is great!