Let's appreciate: SANTA BABY

Guest Rocco Papa

Guest Rocco Papa

Now that it's Christmas time I thought it would be appropriate to dedicate a thread to this song.

I just love her version of this song. It's definitely my favorite rendition of it. The production is very Christmassy and evokes the right mood. Plus, her vocal interpretation of it is fantastic. The Betty Boop thing is genius. It gives it a classic and timeless feel.

Guest Rocco Papa

What makes it perfect is that it's the one Christmas song that truly suits her. I mean, I can't picture Madonna doing O Holy Night or Santa Claus Is Coming To Town! :laugh:

It truly is the perfect Christmas song for Madonna and I love that radio still plays it during the holidays. I've always wanted to know exactly when she recorded this, what prompted it....just the story behind it. I've never once heard her speak on the song. It just appeared on the radio one Christmas season and stayed there. lol. At least, that's my memory.

Guest Rocco Papa

It truly is the perfect Christmas song for Madonna and I love that radio still plays it during the holidays. I've always wanted to know exactly when she recorded this, what prompted it....just the story behind it. I've never once heard her speak on the song. It just appeared on the radio one Christmas season and stayed there. lol. At least, that's my memory.

It was recorded for a charity album called A Very Special Christmas in 1987. Proceeds from the album benefited the Special Olympics. Many other artists appeared on the compilation like Stevie Nicks, U2, Bruce Springsteen, and Whitney Houston. There have been a lot of volumes in this series released since. The artwork was done by Keith Haring.

71VAXjTtZZL._SX355_.jpg

VA-A-Very-Special-Christmas-1988-Back-Co

Not my favourite Christmas rendition if you ask me. I'm glad she never did others after this one :electropop:

It's not like she'd sing every Christmas song like Nikki Finn, haha. tumblr_mtj2wnQpBX1rxml8no8_250.gif

I'd love to hear more from her, TBH. Not sure if she needs to do a Christmas album though. That seems pretty last resort or nothing-else-to-do kind of move for a lot of artists. Maybe someday though, something.

It's not like she'd sing every Christmas song like Nikki Finn, haha. tumblr_mtj2wnQpBX1rxml8no8_250.gif

I'd love to hear more from her, TBH. Not sure if she needs to do a Christmas album though. That seems pretty last resort or nothing-else-to-do kind of move for a lot of artists. Maybe someday though, something.

Cute song BUT, I hope she never does a Christmas album. Thankfully, I don't think she ever will.

Guest Rocco Papa

A new version of Santa Baby sung by Out of the Blue, an all-male a cappella group at Oxford University. Not as good as Madonna's version though...