22 YA Authors Reveal Their Secret Music Video Inspirations

MadCrazy

http://www.mtv.com/news/2616673/ya-authors-music-video-inspiration/

22 YA Authors Reveal Their Secret Music Video Inspirations

Veronica Roth, Marissa Meyer, Margaret Stohl, and other rock stars of YA share the music videos that rock their worlds.

Many Madonna references..

So many to go through in that article!

I have no clue who most of these YA authors are but here's the list and what they said. 7 out of 22 mentioned M.

Back when the YALLFest book festival was in Charleston, SC, it drew many YA authors to town. Not only the fabulous authors presenting at YALLFest, but additional authors who came to participate in several YA book events around the city. Surrounded by so many rock stars of the YA world, MTV News chatted with 22 of them about the music videos that inspire them to get up and dance.

Authors who mentioned Madonna:

2 Hannah Barnaby
First? The first one I remember watching was “Money for Nothing,” but the one I really remember was “Thriller” because it was an event. We didn’t have MTV at my house, but my friend had it, and she had a huge gathering, and of course we learned the dance.
Dress up and dance? I went to a Madonna-themed birthday party where we all dressed like her from “Like a Virgin.”
Current? Adele’s “Hello.”
Favorite? “Sledgehammer” by Peter Gabriel because it was so cool and so different.
3 Gwenda Bond
First? Probably a Madonna video – one of the early ones like “Lucky Star.”
Dress up and dance? Oh yes! I was the lone Cyndi Lauper in a camp group where everyone else dressed up as Madonna. I ratted my hair, and it took two hours to un-rat it afterwards. Girls just wanna have fun!
Current? OK Go always has those super fun videos. And I like Janelle Monáe.
Favorite? I think Madonna’s “Vogue.” It became a cultural touchstone, and it references so many aesthetics of that period.
6 Susane Colasanti
First? I know there was life before “Thriller”, but that’s the first one I remember getting really into. I would go over to my friend Kim’s house because she had a VCR, and she had the tape of the making of “Thriller,” and we watched that so many times it was ridiculous. And of course we practiced all the moves in the rec room.
Dress up and dance? My friends and I were a quirky, crazy group of girls who would go into one of their basements and make music videos. We would totally do the outfits and the makeup and the choreo and film it. We made a lot of dorky videos. It was super fun.
Current? I really love the Skrillex, Diplo, Justin Bieber’s “Where Are Ü Now.” First of all, the whole sound is very different. But I think they said they let fans come into some room with either white walls or paper on the walls, and the fans were able to make art, which was incorporated into the video. And of course I love the flip phone in Adele’s “Hello” and the nostalgic tone of the video.
Favorite? I bet a lot of people are saying A-ha’s “Take On Me.” I remember it being very innovative and loving it. I respected how creative it was, and in the years since, it’s what everyone raves about, so it’s what first comes to mind. But I also loved Cyndi Lauper and Madonna. Oh, “We Are the World” – I really, really loved that one! At the time it was epic and everybody was talking about it.
10 E. Lockhart
First? There’s a Madonna video where she’s dressed in black, and she’s in a white room with a bunch of dancers. I don’t even know what song it is, but I can remember what she’s wearing.
Dress up and dance? Well, I was a musical theater geek, so yeah, I did, but it was a little more Liza Minnelli than it was pop music.
Current? “Chandelier” by Sia. And there’s a video with Sam Rockwell where he dances, and I really think he’s a hotsy totsy dancer – “Down To Earth” by Flight Facilities.
Favorite? The “Leeds United” video is where I discovered Amanda Palmer. I just thought she was the coolest person I’d ever seen in my life, and that’s her most glitzy video. Like, she’s sort of in drag, and everyone is completely crazy dolled up, and at one point they throw all these bagels at each other and have sort of a food fight. But it’s sickly glamorous in a very fresh way. I love it.
16 Danielle Paige
First? Probably Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” or “Bad.” I don’t know which one, since it was a long time ago. I kind of put them together in my head. They were amazing.
Dress up and dance? Who says I don’t do that now? But, yes, to Madonna’s “Material Girl” or other old stuff. I love music. I don’t know if I dressed up, but I would definitely dance around. I still do.
Current? The Drake one where he’s grandpa dancing.
Favorite? I can’t say which one’s the best, but I’m hooked on the Taylor Swift ones right now, just because they feel old school. Like the one where she’s doing the conservation video with the lions or the “Bad Blood” one. I’m into the fact that she’s bringing the video back in a way. But best of all time, I have to go back to “Thriller.” It broke the mold.
20 Margaret Stohl
First? Duran Duran’s “Rio.”
Dress up and dance? Yes! Mostly to Madonna songs.
Current? I just watch what my kids show me.
Favorite? Madonna’s “Like a Virgin.”
21 Sandra Waugh
First? The one that stands out in my memory is Duran Duran’s “Rio” because I so wanted to be on that boat living their lives.
Dress up and dance? In the 80s, we all dressed like we were in a video. Everything we wore was an offshoot of what Madonna was wearing: the off-the-shoulder, cut sweatshirts, the ankle boots, and the hair. So I didn’t really shut the door, get dressed up and sing, but I certainly sang and then got dressed up and went outside.
Current? I recently watched Taylor Swift’s “Wildest Dreams.” And I like Sia’s “Chandelier” video a lot.
Favorite? “Billie Jean” – I thought that was the coolest thing. And then the one where Michael’s wearing the red jacket and the bad guy is wearing white – “Beat It.”
The other YA authors who did not mention M
1 Victoria Aveyard
4 Martina Boone
5 Gail Carriger
7 Elle Cosimano
8 Ashley Elston
9 Ryan Graudin
11 Mindy McGinnis
12 Marissa Meyer
13 Megan Miranda
14 Brandon Mull
15 G. Neri