BloodDiamonds on Madonna/Rebel Heart

STEREOGUM: Moving away from Purpose, you co-produced music on Rebel Heart and toured with Madonna.

BLOODPOP: Yeah, I think I did 13 dates with her.

STEREOGUM: How did you get hooked up with her? How did touring go? How was recording that album?

BLOODPOP: Madonna is one of my favorite artists of all time. She’s the queen of pop. So I was stoked to work on it. And DJ Dahi, one of my best friends in recent years, had called me up for that because he thought I would be a good fit for that project. What was supposed to be three days ended up being six weeks in total. We were in New York. It almost felt like summer camp because Dahi and I, we’d walk 15 minutes to the studio every morning and 15 minutes back every night. Madonna is so fucking tight because she is just so involved in every small thing. I didn’t realize that at the time, because that was like my first big pop production. I had no idea what the protocol was or what usually goes down but, you know there are 18-year-olds who are massive and they don’t even come to the studio to meet the writers or the producer or engineer. They just get handed a phone by the label and the management are like, “Cut this record, it’s a hit.” And they’re like: “OK, fuck it.” But Madonna, she’s at the studio every day, right on time. And she’d sit on a drum stool two feet away from me and we’d go through clap sounds and we’d go through bass drums and bass sounds and all this shit and to this day, I’ve never worked with an artist who takes the time.

STEREOGUM: You were involved with “Iconic,” the song on Rebel Heart that features Mike Tyson and Chance. How was recording that?

BLOODPOP: We were getting a sample of something iconic, like an iconic speech. And then everyone decided that we should get a living person to recite a monologue. I kind of half-jokingly suggested Mike Tyson and everyone was like: “Fucking done. Let’s get him to come in tomorrow.” Outside of the critical world and album sales I feel like Madonna deserves more credit for making her own fucking record. Even like the art direction, it’s her. On the other hand, you have brand new artists with a team of thinkers behind them who have no artistic inclination for their own project.

http://www.stereogum.com/1845164/qa-bloodpop-fka-blood-diamonds-on-the-indiepop-divide-working-with-grimes-justin-bieber-madonna/franchises/interview/

-----------

He is my fav producer on RH, wish she had more time to work with him

Yay I love what he said in the end.

To this day, you still read people saying that Madonna doesn't write her own stuff. Like wtf. She's written the vast majority of her songs since her debut album. People try so hard to limit Madonna as a mere superficial pop star and will never give her credit as someone who actually is a creative person and is involved with every step of the artistic process.

This is great! Thanks for posting! All of the evidence suggests that Madonna's stamp is all over everything she records, yet people still try to discredit her and claim that her co-writers only praise her because they want to work with her again and aren't game enough to "tell the truth". Complete garbage. You only have to listen to the demo of something like "Love Spent" to hear that even when she doesn't write something from scratch, she always does something to the track (whether it's altering the lyrics or reshaping the melody) to make it her own.

This is great! Thanks for posting! All of the evidence suggests that Madonna's stamp is all over everything she records, yet people still try to discredit her and claim that her co-writers only praise her because they want to work with her again and aren't game enough to "tell the truth". Complete garbage. You only have to listen to the demo of something like "Love Spent" to hear that even when she doesn't write something from scratch, she always does something to the track (whether it's altering the lyrics or reshaping the melody) to make it her own.

:thumbsup:

This is receipt #629148

Loved reading this. All her collaborators always talk about her work ethic and people still can't believe she's behind every aspect of her music and career. Hopefully one day the world will realise and give her the credit she deserves.

"Outside of the critical world and album sales I feel like Madonna deserves more credit for making her own fucking record. Even like the art direction, it’s her. On the other hand, you have brand new artists with a team of thinkers behind them who have no artistic inclination for their own project."

Bless him. Bless his soul.

Madonna deserves more credit for making her own fucking record

Fuck YES !

Loved reading this. All her collaborators always talk about her work ethic and people still can't believe she's behind every aspect of her music and career. Hopefully one day the world will realise and give her the credit she deserves.

So true. My blood literally used to boil when I kept reading garbage on other Madonna forums about how she takes credit for others work re her involvement in writing, producing and creating music. Even when every single musician , song-writer and producer would continually say how involved, creative and brilliant she was and also how they loved and enjoyed working with her. Her creativity and talent in the recording studio is extremely under-rated although many of us have been aware of it for decades. Eventually, the rest will catch up to her musical genius.

This is one of the reasons that makes Madonna so magacial compared to any artists.

She is so involved in every level of a project and you can even tell by some demos that have been divided into 3 stages, she tries to make the song sound as best as possible for the album.

Loved reading that. Every producer who has worked with her has said the same thing. She's been so consistent all these years. We are truly lucky to have her. A lot of these other pop bitches are not involved at all.

Yay I love what he said in the end.

To this day, you still read people saying that Madonna doesn't write her own stuff. Like wtf. She's written the vast majority of her songs since her debut album. People try so hard to limit Madonna as a mere superficial pop star and will never give her credit as someone who actually is a creative person and is involved with every step of the artistic process.

I think true creativity seems effortless - hence, those people with no creative bones in their body dismissing her talent. It's like someone looking at a Picasso in a gallery and exclaiming 'I could paint that!'. Really?

^

Could Lunice be her next big producer?

He mentioned it's a possibility which is a nice way of putting it might happen. He's very good and I can see Madonna be totally into his production. He's very very NOW but I'd say his music is very progressive and more futuristic than Kanye or even Diplo. A whole album produced by him would be something I'd say.

Maybe they're already planned something out but it's all hush hush as she doesn't want anyone to know she's recording new music so people wouldn't try to hack their system and leak it lol

But from what I know she does record some stuff while touring.. Didn't she record I Love New York during the Reinvention tour as Stuart Price was touring with her? Anyone in the know can say anything?

Madonna needs to do another one album = one producer. This could be the one!

I agree with this. I want her to make something weird with one producer/musician this time. Hopefully not a DJ.

Make something avant garde that's experimental. It's been awhile

But this article is great, another reason why I love her and why she's the best