MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rocco Papa

Canada Accepting Gay Syrian Refugees, But Not Straight Ones

Guest Rocco Papa

This is fucked up. Segregation. Discrimination. I don't know how else to say it. Forget about the fact that a ton of refugees will lie about being gay. This sentiment is wrong. This is discriminating against straight male Syrian refugees. I don't care how they try to justify it. This is unacceptable.

http://www.advocate.com/world/2015/11/24/canada-plans-welcome-single-gay-syrian-refugees-not-straight-ones

Well this is kind of....fucked up.

Again this incident in Paris as sad and disgusting as it was has shown me how the majority of humanity is nothing but a bunch of scared sheep the way they are so frightened of these refugees now.

well...reading carefully the article (and sorry if i don't understand but people know my english nvnzs.f ònzsrin), it says the canadian governement changed the plan, giving priorities on families (women and children), then "government officials have acknowledged that gay men face intense persecution and will also give them priority status. "

this doesn't mean that straight men are out of consideration.....and the plan has not revelead in all the details yet

much fuzz about nothing?

well...reading carefully the article (and sorry if i don't understand but people know my english nvnzs.f ònzsrin), it says the canadian governement changed the plan, giving priorities on families (women and children), then "government officials have acknowledged that gay men face intense persecution and will also give them priority status. [/size]"

this doesn't mean that straight men are out of consideration.....and the plan has not revelead in all the details yet

much fuzz about nothing?

I think you are right.

Guest Rocco Papa

well...reading carefully the article (and sorry if i don't understand but people know my english nvnzs.f ònzsrin), it says the canadian governement changed the plan, giving priorities on families (women and children), then "government officials have acknowledged that gay men face intense persecution and will also give them priority status. "

much fuzz about nothing?

If a straight man has a wife and kids, then he will be allowed. But if you're a "lone" straight man (single, no wife, no kids), you're not allowed. It may not be excluding all straight men, but that doesn't really make a difference. It is still discriminating against straight men because of their sexual orientation and gender.

well.....it's the quote for refugees, not general immigrants....in the list of priorities i don't see anything wrong to put on top women, children, and gay men (esp from a muslim country). and i didn't read anything about excluding straight men...only that they're not on top of priority choices...and full detail of the program still must be released....if you want to criticize that 25,000 ok....it's subject to discussion, otherwise i don't see anything wrong.....

If a straight man has a wife and kids, then he will be allowed. But if you're a "lone" straight man (single, no wife, no kids), you're not allowed. It may not be excluding all straight men, but that doesn't really make a difference. It is still discriminating against straight men because of their sexual orientation and gender.

No. What it is actually doing is giving priority to people who are vulnerable.

Guest Rocco Papa

No. What it is actually doing is giving priority to people who are vulnerable.

They're flat out rejecting them because they're straight men. They're not last on the list. They're not even on the list. They're turned away completely. That's discrimination no matter how you slice it.

They're flat out rejecting them because they're straight men. They're not last on the list. They're not even on the list. They're turned away completely. That's discrimination no matter how you slice it.

Single straight men are fleeing because they don't want to be conscripted into the Syrian army and forced to fight (most likely), not for economic or humanitarian reasons.

Guest Rocco Papa

Single straight men are fleeing because they don't want to be conscripted into the Syrian army and forced to fight (most likely), not for economic or humanitarian reasons.

And...?

:dazed:

Maybe Canada's trying to make up for the past.

Last week MP Thomas Mulcair exploded at hecklers in the Commons and later shed tears at a news conference after Immigration Minister Diane Finley refused to allow Canada’s latest gay refugee claimant Kulenthiran Amirthalingam stay in the country on compassionate grounds. He later told the Montreal Gazette that he had seen a disturbing video depicting the kind of brutal punishment gay men receive in Malaysia, including strapping a naked man until raw flesh was exposed.

Amirthalingam, who is now back in Malaysia where he spent time in jail for being gay, was declared not credible by the one-adjudicator panel. He joined a growing list of refugee claimants who have been rejected because they can’t prove they are gay.

Amnesty International is keeping an eye on Amirthalingam but a spokeswoman says even if he is thrown back in jail the odds of him getting help from Canada are slim.

“Where a person is being persecuted for their very identity they should be granted protection, but it often is not the case here,” said Gloria Nafziger, a refugee co-ordinator for the organization. “If the testimony is not credible everything goes out the door.”

Michael Battista, a Toronto lawyer who has expertise in dealing with gay and lesbian refugee claims, says the problem is there is no consistency of analysis. If claimants have pictures of themselves at a gay pride parade, proof of participating in online gay-chat rooms or witnesses who can testify they have had gay partners, then the adjudicator has some evidence.

But there are no clear guidelines to follow if the applicant has little proof.

“We have guidelines for gender (and) race, but for the last 17 or so years that (gay and lesbian) claimants have been seeking refugee status there have been no guidelines for sexual orientation,” said Battista.

Battista said he has seen cases rejected because the person had children or was married.

“Saying that this is not how a gay or lesbian person would behave is a stereotype,” he said.

For decades gay and lesbian Canadians have held splashy pride parades and won rights to marry their same-sex partners. But for others in the more oppressive parts of the world, open displays of affection for someone of the same sex could find them jailed, tortured and even killed.

For these people this expected punishment leads to a lifetime spent covering their tracks.

Those who flee to Canada to seek refuge face one very tough question in Canada: How can you prove that you are gay?

With no witnesses, photographs, love-letters or other documents indicating a gay lifestyle, refugees are often left showing up before the refugee board acting flamboyant or acting on other gay stereotypes.

“This is silly and demeaning,” says Suhail Abualsameed, who works with Supporting Our Youth, an organization that helps young gay immigrants and refugees in Toronto. “Not all (gay people) are like this,” he said.

Social workers send Abualsameed young refugees and he helps them get involved in the gay community by meeting people and having relationships to build a portfolio of documented proof.

“I was at a refugee hearing and the judge was grilling me saying how do you know he is gay? And I say I have seen him go to gay activities.”
“How do I know, short of me having sex with them? I can only tell them what I see.”

But often witnesses and letters are dismissed as hearsay and claimants are accused of fabricating lies to stay in Canada.

Abualsameed has been working with Alvara Orozco, 22, a gay Nicaraguan youth who is still in hiding in Toronto after losing his last bid to stay in Canada.

Orozco fled Nicaragua, which outlawed homosexuality in 1992, after fearing for his life. He says he was violently abused by his father because of being gay.
Orozco was ordered deported Oct. 4, 2007, but has been hiding out with friends in the Toronto area.

The adjudicator said that Orozco was not gay and accused him of lying about his sexual orientation to stay in Canada. He was told his case was not credible because he had no significant relationships while he was in the U.S.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=a3eed096-09d7-4a69-8b86-67a7366f2e29

Putting aside how one proves they are a gay refugee, what's the problem? There are limited spaces for refugees and they should go to the most vulnerable.

Know it's a controversial issue, but don't see any problem with giving women and children, including gay single men, priority over straight men unless maybe they're separated from their own children.

One of my closest friends just started teaching English to a gay Syrian refugee who is here in the states trying to escape. If you're gay in Syria, and especially don't conform to traditional gender roles, you're basically treated like a piece of s**t and at higher risk to experience threats and violence.

Anyway, it's up to the Canadian government and people to decide what policy feels right for their own country!

It isn't hard to claim asylum from any country into the West if there is proof of sexual discrimination or abuse, even the Canadian government has identified gay men, children, religious minorities and women facing sexual violence as being in particular peril among Syrian refugees. But now that one of the Paris attackers is thought to be gay it is going to complicate things and probably run afoul of Canadian anti discrimination laws.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/22/missing-paris-attacker-loved-gay-bars-and-playstation/

Guest Rachelle of London

I agree. Yes gay men in Syria are vulnerable that's undeniable however let's not forget the straight single men that are also in trouble because they cannot "find a wife." It's not a bed of roses for them. They're being persecuted too. Personally I wouldn't blame any single straight refugee who's pretending to be gay to seek asylum.

I agree. Yes gay men in Syria are vulnerable that's undeniable however let's not forget the straight single men that are also in trouble because they cannot "find a wife." It's not a bed of roses for them. They're being persecuted too. Personally I wouldn't blame any single straight refugee who's pretending to be gay to seek asylum.

Top tier criteria for seeking asylum.

:lmao:

A better solution would be those Muslim countries to end polygamy for men or, give it to women as well.

Guest Rachelle of London

A better solution would be those Muslim countries to end polygamy for men or, give it to women as well.

It's not a laughing matter, Maritial status in those countries means everything. Some cant find employment because theyre not seen as responsible enough due to not having a wife. Look it up, I'm not lying.

I don't agree with it. The thing is everyone is vulnerable in Syria because there's a war going on there. Anyone of any gender or sexual orientation could be killed at any time.

And there's no guarantee that a gay man or a woman can't be involved in terrorism. They have been female suicide bombers. They need to evaluate everyone individually for their terrorist connections and not exclude categories of people.

...and deal with their serious homophobia... :newspaper:

It's not a laughing matter, Maritial status in those countries means everything. Some cant find employment because theyre not seen as responsible enough due to not having a wife. Look it up, I'm not lying.

And if they can't find work maybe they can go back to fighting which will only exacerbate the conflict. :(. OTOH Canada is only taking 10,000 refugees this year and most candidates for resettlement are referred through the UN which identifies legitimate refugees with the greatest needs such as women and children, those with medical needs, and survivors of violence and torture. Sadly, there are more than enough of these people who face serious threats to their physical security due to political opinion or belonging to a minority group and there is absolutely nothing wrong with prioritizing the saving of lives over single men who simply need a job or relationship counseling.