NY Times: Tour Industry Plans Changes in Response to Attacks (Madonna mentioned)

Apples388

http://www.nytimes.com/live/paris-attacks-live-updates/concert-industry-plans-changes-in-response-to-attacks/

The music concert industry is starting to impose new security measures after performances were canceled in Paris and throughout Europe by U2, the Foo Fighters and other acts in the aftermath of the attacks at the Bataclan concert hall in Paris.

Live Nation, the global concert giant, said on Saturday that it would increase security at its venues, and other industry representatives are expected to do the same.

“The safety and security of our shows, fans and venues continues to be our highest priority,” the company said in a statement. “Due to the recent events in Paris and in an abundance of caution we have implemented heightened security procedures globally. However, because of the sensitive nature of these protocols, we cannot elaborate further on the specific details.”

Additional security and police officers were present at a promotional event for Justin Bieber at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Friday, Billboard magazine reported. The Staples Center is owned and managed by A.E.G. Live, a rival of Live Nation.

Among the other concerts that have been canceled or postponed in France and around Europe over the weekend were appearances by Haitus Kaiyote, Motorhead, Nekfeu, Marina Kaye, Christophe Willem and Cirque du Soleil’s “Amaluna.”

In some ways the concert business is still reeling from the fire in a nightclub in Bucharest, Romania, last month that killed 55 people. Some in the concert industry said it was too soon to assess what the developments would mean in the long term for tours and promoters, and it was unclear what effect greater security measures would have against highly coordinated attacks like the one in Paris.

“It’s only logical for major venues worldwide to have heightened security,” said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of Pollstar, a concert industry trade magazine. “But the truth is that there is only so much anyone can do to stop a wave of suicidal attackers.”

Music stars also began to react to the killings. In an interview with the Irish radio station RTE FM2 on Saturday, Bono of U2 called the attacks “the first direct hit on music that we’ve had in this so-called war on terror.”

Madonna addressed the killings in a long statement from the stage during her concert in Stockholm on Saturday. “In many ways, I feel torn,” she told the crowd, her voice breaking. “Why am I up here dancing and having fun when people are crying over the loss of their loved ones?

“However, that is exactly what these people want to do,” Madonna continued. “They want to shut us up. They want to silence us. And we won’t let them.”

Guest Rocco Papa

I hope Madonna goes on with the tour as planned. These other acts shouldn't have cancelled. As she said, we shouldn't let these terrorists win. This is what they want.

If anything, people need music to bring them together and make them happy now more than ever.

Guest Rocco Papa

I don't think the other acts had a choice. They were playing Paris and the government shut down all activities.

I heard Foo Fighters cancelled the rest of their tour. I could understand if they just cancelled the Paris show, but why cancel the other shows? If Madonna can go on with her tour, why can't they?

I heard Foo Fighters cancelled the rest of their tour. I could understand if they just cancelled the Paris show, but why cancel the other shows? If Madonna can go on with her tour, why can't they?

They only had a few shows left

I went to see the Drowned World Tour in Los Angeles on Sept 9, 2001 and then 9/11 happened two days later. She had the last three scheduled dates of the entire tour still left in LA. She postponed one date but went on stage wearing an American Flag kilt just a few days later (Sept 13-15).

I vividly remember watching the news on TV and hearing a city spokesman mentioning event cancellations in light of the attacks and when he announced Madonna's shows would go on he made the comment, "Nothing stops Madonna".

Maybe Foo Fighters and others who canceled their shows have a different view than Madonna's on this? People could think Madonna is a money greedy for not canceling shows ? In all this I remember Bob Marley when he was shot and continued his shows saying something like Evil takes no break, why should I?, and that is what Madonna is doing so Bravo for it.

Everyone simply has a different view on this. If they cancelled their tour that's fine, if they didn't that's fine!

I don't see it as M being greedy or insensitive for not cancelling shows. Should we all just stop and not go on with our lives? Cancelling shows or the tour will not change anything. Let the tour continue as scheduled and pray it all goes smoothly. I trust Madonna has a security team fit for the POTUS so I'm sure all security measures will taken for her and fans at the venues.

I would not blame her for cancelling shows and understand why other performers would be worried. However, we only have to listen to her speech at the Stockholm concert to understand why she is continuing and she should be applauded for it. She always does what she thinks and knows is the right thing to do.

To this day I don't understand why she did a show two days after 9/11. I still think it was inappropriate. Yes I understand don't let the terrorists win, bla bla bla. But by that Thursday, they thought that tens of thousands of people had died. She could have just skipped one show and lost the money.

It's so not about losing the money, according to this logic she just should have cancelled last night's show as it was just 1 day after the tragedy?

That's just not what she is about, listen to her speech.

To this day I don't understand why she did a show two days after 9/11. I still think it was inappropriate. Yes I understand don't let the terrorists win, bla bla bla. But by that Thursday, they thought that tens of thousands of people had died. She could have just skipped one show and lost the money.

Have you not been paying attention to what she's said in her speech yesterday? It's not about money. It's the principle.

But cancelling a show is not going to bring any of those people back. I think we need music to escape the pain of life sometimes as long as it is safe for everyone to attend a public gathering. It's not just about her and her money. What about all the people who were looking forward to the show?

I would not blame her for cancelling shows and understand why other performers would be worried. However, we only have to listen to her speech at the Stockholm concert to understand why she is continuing and she should be applauded for it. She always does what she thinks and knows is the right thing to do.

This!

MTV News 9/17/2001

The singer pledged that proceeds from her final shows would go to relief funds for victims of the attacks and their families. Saturdays show was originally scheduled to be held Tuesday but was nixed due to the attacks, as were other major entertainment events around the country

http://www.mtv.com/news/1448909/madonna-closes-drowned-world-tour-with-prayer-donation/

Guest Rocco Papa

MTV News 9/17/2001

The singer pledged that proceeds from her final shows would go to relief funds for victims of the attacks and their families. Saturdays show was originally scheduled to be held Tuesday but was nixed due to the attacks, as were other major entertainment events around the country

http://www.mtv.com/news/1448909/madonna-closes-drowned-world-tour-with-prayer-donation/

:thumbsup:

Guest Rachelle of London

Everyone simply has a different view on this. If they cancelled their tour that's fine, if they didn't that's fine!

This

Guest eroticerotic

Fear will take away your ability to defend yourself.

Everything should go on but with more security and vigilance. That is the lesson,

And we should all be ready to fight. I think. We all work hard for what we have so we should not rest on our laurels anyway, I feel.

Cannot believe some think Madonna should cancel. Or worse that she's worried about lost revenue. There are people who would use this as an excuse to scrap an entire tour. She is simply saying we mustn't give in to the logic of fear and imo she's only to be applauded for that

I saw all three shows after 9/11 and they were all amazing. She was truly revolutionary and fearless in this moment. She did not profit from these shows and actually much professional strife occurred for her due to them.

By September 13 - no one thought tens of thousands of people had died. Quit trying to rewrite history for yourself.

I can't understand how a Madonna fan wouldn't understand her need to march on. It's exactly her very essence for the last 30 years. Inappropriate is just another form of thinking others should act like you. Thank heavens Madonna doesn't think this way or give two cents about the appropriate police.

She is the voice that won't be silenced.

Let's not forget that people all have different reactions to terror. I found it insensitive and shocking to see people laugh at cafes in Oslo days after our massacre and bombing because I was extremely shocked, sad and heavy hearted.

But cancelling a show is not going to bring any of those people back. I think we need music to escape the pain of life sometimes as long as it is safe for everyone to attend a public gathering. It's not just about her and her money. What about all the people who were looking forward to the show?

Well I guess it was very "inappropriate" for the thousands and thousands of Americans still going to the show..

I wish each city would put extra police and military for every big show. Better safe, I say. I applaud them going on but what if anything were to happen.

I don't know....I guess there is no right or wrong here...our security is the most important thing.

No city is safe, it could happen at any time. Up to the fans/GP if they want to go or not and for the artist to put on a show or not.

For me terrorists ain't stopping me having fun and getting on with my life. I will not live in fear, I will not let them win,

Cannot believe some think Madonna should cancel. Or worse that she's worried about lost revenue. There are people who would use this as an excuse to scrap an entire tour. She is simply saying we mustn't give in to the logic of fear and imo she's only to be applauded for that

I can't understand how a Madonna fan wouldn't understand her need to march on. It's exactly her very essence for the last 30 years. Inappropriate is just another form of thinking others should act like you. Thank heavens Madonna doesn't think this way or give two cents about the appropriate police.

She is the voice that won't be silenced.

THIS.