M&F

runa

After my work, tonight, I felt a little down. I took 2-3 glasses of wine.

I went on Youtube and started to watch and listen to some live performance of M.

And then I fell on this.

God, how I love this song.

I will never understand all the hate for AL.

:inlove:

I like the song minus the "My mother died when I was five" bit. She could have written much more hard hitting lyrics. I know it's in the perspective in a child but "Promise To Try" is timeless and packed a powerful punch when dealing with her mother. The vocals are also not as great as they were live.

Guest bluejean

Mother and Father is fantastic. I love it. That acoustic version is unbelievably good. I remember thinking wow, I've never heard her sing like this before.

Mother and Father is fantastic. I love it. That acoustic version is unbelievably good. I remember thinking wow, I've never heard her sing like this before.

Same !

I was like: OMG! The woman can sing !

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I'm a Fan for nearly 20 years now.

Just wanted to say, that I listened to that song just two days ago. Love it so much! I still love the whole album very much, but this song is my favourite! :-)

Yaaaaaaaasssssss!!!

This song helped me fall in love with Madonna.

I didn't know AL album existed until I read it on Wiki. Intrigued because of the reception, I downloaded it. I fell in love with it on first listen, finding the clash of the folk and electronic music sonically beautiful. The lyrics appealed to me as well. Some were simplistic, some were tongue-in-cheek, but I felt they were all genuine.

This song in particular was one of the highlights in that album. I felt that the nursery-rhymy-rap and the repetition of the lyrics were a clever choice to "hide" the emotions as I think it's the goal of the song. "I got to give it up", M claims she's almost over it. But the truth is she'll never be.

I was surprised most fans didn't like it. :lol:

And the RIT version was undeniable proof of the song's brilliance.

when I started therapy and a not so great one banged on about my parents how I search for something I can never have since I'm not a child, unconditional love, I sat on a pavement in a busy crossing aftewards listening to it on repeat crying my eyes out. i couldnt move just had to when a woman nearly sent for an ambulance.

Some of the rap lyrics are pretty embarrassing and shit. Chorus / ending is nice and definently works better as a live performance. By far the weakest song ( along with I'm so stupid ) on an otherwise splendid album.