How do you feel about CELEBRATION

Shane

Guest Rocco Papa

I thought Revolver fit right in with the direction MDNA took. MDNA had the gun theme going on, especially in the tour.

Exactly. And Benny Benassi (who did the remix for Celebration) worked on Girl Gone Wild and a lot of the other songs.

I don't like the tracklist very much... I heard it was based on Madonna's own personal taste and fans selections that Oseary collected (on Twitter?). I barely listen to it and I've got all the formats that were released. Looks nice in the collection but NOTHING to die for.

I was pissed American Life wasn't even on the DVD. It's like she has forgotten that masterpiece all in all.

Love the rest though (except the black bar thingy covering the tits)

YES. That JML video edit is unforgivable, as is the exclusion of Bad Girl.

I thought Revolver fit right in with the direction MDNA took. MDNA had the gun theme going on, especially in the tour.

Revolver is actually one of my all time favorite Madonna songs! I don't even know why I love it so much but it's in my Top 3 along with LAP and Secret. :dazed:

Edited by LikeaRebelGambler

Revolver is flawless. Now that I think of it, it was like an introduction into Madge's new direction/theme with guns and violence making up the theme of MDNA. It was giving people a little taste of what was to cone just like justify My Love/Rescue Me giving people a little taste of what's to come just before unleashing Erotica with the whole sexual theme and dark New York Jazz theme so people were not too shocked.

Fab cover.

Revolver should never have seen the light of day.

TUTBMP and Deeper and Deeper SHOULD have been on it.

There should've been a huge write up about her fantastic career and legacy in the booklet. Instead, nothing. Half baked.

The mastering on tracks was so messy - Dress You Up/Erotica.

Guest Rocco Papa

I didn't even know there was a problem with the Celebration DVD until I read all sorts of comments online. It was the one DVD I chucked on if I wanted to watch any of Madonna's videos.

Same deal with the Celebration CD.

I still don't understand the problem with the DVD. I watch it a lot and it looks just fine to me. Maybe some people just got defective copies or something. :dazed:

- Not a good idea to include 16 songs out of TIC for this GH.

- JML should not be on it and should remain exclusive to TIC, just like YS for STR.

- 5 songs from debut album? BU should be excluded.

- CAC should have been included since it has not appeared in any GH.

- Where is global monster hit AP?

- Why Hollywood / Miles Away? It didn't make a dent on the chart. This is a Greatest "hits", not Greatest "fan favourite" album. Should've made room for NRM/GITM/TUTBMP/IR.

I love CELEBRATION! In fact I'd say it's underrated. It was a perfect 'new track' on a GH and perfectly encompassed everything about Madonna to book end "Holiday" with one side and "Celebration" with another - taking the '83 to '09 thing full circle.

I was baffled by the inclusion of Miles Away, though I guess at the time it made sense because Hard Candy was the latest album and that was the most recent single, but I highly doubt it would have been included if this compilation were released today.

I think Miles Away's inclusion was solely due to its success in Japan. It sold over 680,000 in the country which is insane. It was the best selling digital single of that year in Japan.

This is a Greatest "hits"

Is it though? It acts more as a "Best of Madonna" with post-Erotica albums represented evenly, adding Everybody & Burning Up in favor of True Blue and the 1990s ballad hits strays away from a proper GH concept as well...

As for Miles Away, I believe Guy Oseary himself confirmed Japan was the reason of the inclusion of Miles Away and that they did not want to have different editions based on markets.

Is it though? It acts more as a "Best of Madonna" with post-Erotica albums represented evenly, adding Everybody & Burning Up in favor of True Blue and the 1990s ballad hits strays away from a proper GH concept as well...

As for Miles Away, I believe Guy Oseary himself confirmed Japan was the reason of the inclusion of Miles Away and that they did not want to have different editions based on markets.

That would have been cool to have different formats for different markets like a different tracklisting for Japan. Perhaps, Miles Away could have just been a Japanese bonus track.

I was originally disappointed that Get Together and Jump were not included on this compilation. Both songs were huge hits in Japan and somewhat hits in Australia to.

Refuse to purchase for first few months after it was released just because the track listing seemed so random and sloppy. The CD artwork won me over big time, and still listen to it all the time to this day. Imagining it must fantastic on vinyl!

Would also have personally preferred more nineties and even 00s tracks, but gotta love that somehow everybody and burning made it.

Obviously I mean the essential two disc retrospective of the greatest artist of all time, not the inadequate single disc.

I personally love Celebration, and I feel positively bowled over by the genius on display. There are certain stretches that put everyone else on the planet to shame (LAV-ITG-LAP-ROL), and it's just one gem after another on both discs.

It would be nice to have all twelve of her US number ones on one collection, but I can understand that Warners probably liked having TUTBMP as a selling point for STR, since that's the only place it can be found.

The only thing I would have done differently is to axe one song (probably Revolver) for Deeper And Deeper or Rain, so that Erotica isn't her only album only represented by one track. Other than that, I worship Celebration.

I hate it. Quality is bad or worse. Her worst collection ever!

On the other hand, it was her last big seller..thats about the only good thing about it.

I think Miles Away's inclusion was solely due to its success in Japan. It sold over 680,000 in the country which is insane. It was the best selling digital single of that year in Japan.

it sold well because it was a theme song of a day time soap opera.

it was a big airplay hit also in Germany , Austiria and Switzerland..

- JML should not be on it and should remain exclusive to TIC, just like YS for STR.

- 5 songs from debut album? BU should be excluded.

- CAC should have been included since it has not appeared in any GH.

- Where is global monster hit AP?

- Why Hollywood / Miles Away? It didn't make a dent on the chart. This is a Greatest "hits", not Greatest "fan favourite" album. Should've made room for NRM/GITM/TUTBMP/IR.

I think Miles Away was a big hit in some couturis like Japan, Germany and Austria..

The artwork is stunning and the little promo for it made it seem like it was going to be the best compilation ever. But it is all over the place with the tracklisting and. as mentioned before, the edits and mastering are annoying, especially for the long-time fans who know what they should sound like.

It should have been a massive box set with the option of a two-disc highlights disc but in chronological order.

It seemed that both Madonna and Warner did not have any enthusiasm for this project and it shows.

The artwork is stunning and the little promo for it made it seem like it was going to be the best compilation ever. But it is all over the place with the tracklisting and. as mentioned before, the edits and mastering are annoying, especially for the long-time fans who know what they should sound like.

It should have been a massive box set with the option of a two-disc highlights disc but in chronological order.

It seemed that both Madonna and Warner did not have any enthusiasm for this project and it shows.

:thumbsup:

Blasphemous!!

They're classics!!! And should be included!!!