How do you feel about CELEBRATION

Shane

Obviously I mean the essential two disc retrospective of the greatest artist of all time, not the inadequate single disc.

I personally love Celebration, and I feel positively bowled over by the genius on display. There are certain stretches that put everyone else on the planet to shame (LAV-ITG-LAP-ROL), and it's just one gem after another on both discs.

It would be nice to have all twelve of her US number ones on one collection, but I can understand that Warners probably liked having TUTBMP as a selling point for STR, since that's the only place it can be found.

The only thing I would have done differently is to axe one song (probably Revolver) for Deeper And Deeper or Rain, so that Erotica isn't her only album only represented by one track. Other than that, I worship Celebration.

I was baffled by the inclusion of Miles Away, though I guess at the time it made sense because Hard Candy was the latest album and that was the most recent single, but I highly doubt it would have been included if this compilation were released today.

While it was supposed to be a "celebration" of her hits, I felt it was too 80s-centric. I felt there should've been more 90's songs there.

Also, the mastering is a bit annoying. Some songs are louder than the others. It makes for a jarring listening experience.

That being said, it's a nice listen. IMO, TIC and GHV2 were better made/assemble/whatever.

Whats tutbmp str?

Secret could have been there, or Deeper and Deeper.

This Used To Be My Playground, which is found only on the Something To Remember collection.

Secret is on Celebration!

Guest Rocco Papa

I can't beat up on Celebration, because her career can't possibly be adequately represented on two CDs at this point. She needs a box set. Every single she ever released on as many CDs as they need, every music video she's ever done (including uncensored JML, France version of Erotica, and original American Life) on as many DVDs as they need, and an amazing booklet with pictures, liner notes, and songwriting/production credits. Warner should've put together a box set edition of the album in addition to the 2-disc and single disc version.

Some extra things that would be cool to include would be unreleased songs/outtakes, demo versions, and behind the scenes/b-roll footage as bonus features on the DVDs. Maybe even a nice, large poster as well.

This Used To Be My Playground, which is found only on the Something To Remember collection.

I'm a deadly tired flop fan :laugh: Besides I haven't listened to it in a while, got all the songs from the albums anyway :)

I wish the album was given an "Immaculate Collection" treatment. New mixes with slight updates. I never listen to my Celebration album. :( I put "Celebration" and "Revolver" on the end of my Hard Candy album. :D

It's not as "smooth" of a listen as the impeccable IC but I do feel like they chose the right songs for the most part. Agreed with what's been said about MA.....seems an odd inclusion now but in '09 it made sense. We finally got the real version of ITG and unlike GHV2, Celebration had new songs so it gets an A from me overall. I love the artwork as well.

Guest Rocco Papa

It's not as "smooth" of a listen as the impeccable IC but I do feel like they chose the right songs for the most part. Agreed with what's been said about MA.....seems an odd inclusion now but in '09 it made sense. We finally got the real version of ITG and unlike GHV2, Celebration had new songs so it gets an A from me overall. I love the artwork as well.

That (in addition to Who's That Girl & Like A Prayer (album version) remastered) was the big reason I was so happy with this album! I remember being so disappointed that the 2001 reissue of Like A Virgin didn't include ITG, since I heard they re-released the album in 1985 with the song included. As much as I love Shep's remix, I wanted to have the original version on CD. I can't believe I had to wait so many years until Celebration in 2009.

Guest Rocco Papa

i think it they wanted to make a *radio friendly* album... that's why it is lack of some ballads...

but,

instead of Miles Away, i'd like to see Give it 2 Me.... and 4 Minutes never deserves being on the album!..

If that's the case, then they should've stuck to radio edits of the songs (except for Hung Up of course!). It would've had a smoother flow, rather than hearing a full 6-minute album version of one song (Holiday) and then hearing short 4-minute radio edit of another (Everybody). They may have even been able to include more songs that way.

I wish the album was given an "Immaculate Collection" treatment. New mixes with slight updates. I never listen to my Celebration album. :( I put "Celebration" and "Revolver" on the end of my Hard Candy album. :D

This. That's why I love TIC. Celebration should have been this, or nothing but the single versions.

The inclusion of some rarities like HU unmixed and Frozen unedited etc make it unique

But other than that, it seems like a rushed effort, except for the beautiful artwork

I loved Celebration when it was released in 2009, it was on constant play for months and I was obsessed with the song Celebration, I enjoyed the track list, obviously the erotica botch was annoying but other than that I really like this album, although there were a lot of great tracks missing, hopefully one day there will be a definitive collection.

I love it.....bought the 1 & 2 disc....I really thought it was going to have

a big booklet with lyrics according to the commercial

I love all the songs...nice to have all songs in one collection....replaces

IC imo

They should have made all radio edits....fans already had album versions,

and general public would know only radio hits....then they could have put 19

songs on each disc

Few I would have added....True Blue, Deeper And Deeper, Causing A Commotion

and taken off revolver

It's impossible to have a comprehensive Madonna hits collection with only 2 CD's, IMO.

I do think including songs like Everybody and Burning Up and excluding number #1 hits like True Blue and American Pie is weird. Also Give It 2 Me should be there. 4 Minutes should be the album version and those first few seconds of Dress You Up are missing.

Still, i find it even more weird how some people say stuff like "forget Celebration. TIC is much better" when Celebration actually has more 80's hits than TIC, and most of them are album versions and not bad edits like Like A Virgin, Into The Groove, Live A Prayer, etc. (added all the 90's and 00's hits of course).

Really grown to enjoy listening to most of Celebration even though the sequencing of tracks are somewhat of a problem like MDNA.

The artwork is fantastic and including the hits, such as, Everybody, BU, and WTG made some fans extremely HAPPY! :yes:

Should have been in a vaguely chronological order - otherwise fine. I wanted it to start with HOLIDAY and end with CELEBRATION you know so you can sing

HOLIDAY!
CELEBRATION!
COME TOGETHER
IN EVERY NATION