thebeatswithin

Apologies if this has been reported before, but I checked and don't think it has, so here goes......

OK, so like a lot of people, I always assumed that Jump was inspired by Pet Shop Boys' amazing single, West End Girls, but I just discovered something that makes me think that Jump took its inspiration from a lesser known song. Intrigued? Then read on......

So, my boyfriend and I were having a random conversation last night about Japanese anime (as you do) and old 1980s cartoons, such as Ulysses 31 (anyone remember that one?) and I had a flashback about this old animated video of a robot-faced, Baroque-style orchestra flying around on a gondola into space (for real) that used to freak the fuck outta me - I was only a kid after all. Naturally, I googled it and found this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UDT3RtbYQw

Sounds to me like La Serenissima by Rondo Veneziano inspired the bass line and orchestral intro to the non-mixed album version of Jump. Apparently I'm not alone in thinking this, as someone has already created a mash-up of Jump / La Serenissima that I'm currently obsessed with - check it out on Soundcloud......

https://soundcloud.com/stedosa/madonna-vs-rond-veneziano-jump

Randomly, this video used to get regular play (as far as I remember after Saturday morning kids' TV ended) on ITV in the UK, as filler. I checked in case this was unique to UTV in my native Northern Ireland, but it was apparently shown across all ITV regions in the UK. I was born in 1977, the same year as Stuart Price, so chances are a young Stuart Price also saw this broadcast after watching Saturday morning cartoons and it stuck with him. Apparently the song reached Number 58 in the UK singles chart in 1983 and the album from which it came, Venice in Peril (named after the charity that the album's profits contributed to), was a global classical hit.

As a side note - the animated video (which incidentally still slightly freaks me out - but now in a good way), which I guess must have been pretty ground-breaking for 1983, looks like it might have even influenced the videos from Daft Punk's Discovery album.

Oh yeah, and I'm not dead, I promised Pud I'd return to Madonnanation, so blame him ;)

Guest Pud Whacker

Apologies if this has been reported before, but I checked and don't think it has, so here goes......

OK, so like a lot of people, I always assumed that Jump was inspired by Pet Shop Boys' amazing single, West End Girls, but I just discovered something that makes me think that Jump took its inspiration from a lesser known song. Intrigued? Then read on......

So, my boyfriend and I were having a random conversation last night about Japanese anime (as you do) and old 1980s cartoons, such as Ulysses 31 (anyone remember that one?) and I had a flashback about this old animated video of a robot-faced, Baroque-style orchestra flying around on a gondola into space (for real) that used to freak the fuck outta me - I was only a kid after all. Naturally, I googled it and found this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UDT3RtbYQw

Sounds to me like La Serenissima by Rondo Veneziano inspired the bass line and orchestral intro to the non-mixed album version of Jump. Apparently I'm not alone in thinking this, as someone has already created a mash-up of Jump / La Serenissima that I'm currently obsessed with - check it out on Soundcloud......

https://soundcloud.com/stedosa/madonna-vs-rond-veneziano-jump

Randomly, this video used to get regular play (as far as I remember after Saturday morning kids' TV ended) on ITV in the UK, as filler. I checked in case this was unique to UTV in my native Northern Ireland, but it was apparently shown across all ITV regions in the UK. I was born in 1977, the same year as Stuart Price, so chances are a young Stuart Price also saw this broadcast after watching Saturday morning cartoons and it stuck with him. Apparently the song reached Number 58 in the UK singles chart in 1983 and the album from which it came, Venice in Peril (named after the charity that the album's profits contributed to), was a global classical hit.

As a side note - the animated video (which incidentally still slightly freaks me out - but now in a good way), which I guess must have been pretty ground-breaking for 1983, looks like it might have even influenced the videos from Daft Punk's Discovery album.

Oh yeah, and I'm not dead, I promised Pud I'd return to Madonnanation, so blame him ;)

so glad youre back and with this fabulous post!!!

listening now and i love it!!!!

I love all of the influences that can be heard all over Confessions and some of them are just little flourishes rather than big samples, like the Abba sample on Hung Up for example.

Parts of Forbidden Love have always given me Evelyn Thomas' High Energy / Laura Branigan's Self Control vibes - anyone else pick up on this? I'd love to hear what influences people can hear across Confessions, apart from the obvious and often cited Abba / Jackson 5 "samples".

You're right barneyboy, Jump was indeed one of the songs that originated from the abandoned musical projects.

I promise not to be a stranger. And I'll see if I can make up for lost time - stay tuned!