PEOPLE: "Justify My Love Turns 25: 20 Things You Didn't Know"

Guest Rocco Papa

Guest Rocco Papa

PEOPLE.com posted an article celebrating the 25th anniversary of Justify My Love.

How much controversy can you cram into five minutes? If you're Madonna, enough to make your new single a hit. On Nov. 6, 1990 – 25 years ago this week – Madonna released the first single from The Immaculate Collection, "Justify My Love." In the month that followed, Madonna filmed a video for the song, submitted it to MTV (which promptly rejected it), and then rode the resulting controversy all the way to the bank. The video was ultimately sold as a "video single," and it sold well.

Today, the incident is remembered as one of the biggest controversies in Madonna's career, which is saying a lot. In case you didn't shell out for the VHS tape back in the day, watch the video below. (And yes, it and other videos in this post may be NSFW. Obviously.)

Read more: http://www.people.com/article/madonna-justify-my-love-25th-anniversary?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

The video may be considered "tame by today's standards" but, I watched this video with a group of mostly 18-25 year olds and a few of them said they felt like they were watching something "naughty", lol. A couple of them said they felt a bit uncomfortable watching it. Yeah, watching Nicki Minaj girate her gigantic ass in your face in her "Anaconda" video is way more graphic but, what else is there to say about it? The JML video was definitely ahead of it's time.

I was never shocked by it. You only saw a bit of nipple. I could never understand why it got an 18 certificate in the UK though.

Still I love the song and video and the GS performance is amazing!

I'm convinced the music video was inspired by Godard's Vivre Sa Vie, namely the scene where she's walking down the halls of the whore house, and peeks into the rooms and gets a glimpse of all the naughty stuff going on, before hoing it up herself.