Borderline or Burning Up?

Diversity83

I've been listening to the first album a lot lately while driving and Borderline and Burning Up seem to be about the same thing. I've never liked Borderline and I think it's because it doesn't seem Madonna to me. She comes off very desperate, whiny, and pathetic whereas in Burning Up she comes off desperate yet in control. knowing what she wants, and horny which I love. I've never understood why Borderline is so loved

I love them both and think they have completely different meanings. Borderline is a classic pop song and I love how she sings it. She nails the sadness in this song which not many singers would be able to. Madonna always sings with more feeling than most other stars could only dream of doing. I don't find it whiny or pathetic as the lyrics express the confusion of someone who is still in a relationship and trying to understand what is happening . It is not like songs where people are forever thinking back and pleading with ex lovers, which too many songs are about now.

Burning up I also love with a passion. It is more of a song about pure lust though and she also sings it that way. The video demonstrates that entirely with her writhing and crawling around on the road. :lol: Epic video.

I'll pick Borderline too, especially if we're talking about original album versions.

I like Burning up, but I tend to listen to the demos (especially that one on Pre Madonna) or the RIT version (haven't exprienced the RHT one yet)

"You cause me so much pain, I think I'm going insane" get out of that relationship girl. Why do you still love this piece of shit? Ugh

I love the Burning Up video too! The ending where she's driving the car and he's nowhere to be seen. Represents her power over the whole situation.

I guess I just like the empowered Madonna more than anything

"You cause me so much pain, I think I'm going insane" get out of that relationship girl. Why do you still love this piece of shit? Ugh

I love the Burning Up video too! The ending where she's driving the car and he's nowhere to be seen. Represents her power over the whole situation.

I guess I just like the empowered Madonna more than anything

The ending of Burning up is epic. Love that as well and is quite a twist. Her then on/off boyfriend Kenny Crompton was the guy in the video which is interesting too.

Borderline all the way.

So passionate and melancholic. :inlove:

That is exactly the words so it. Passionate and melancholic. I think it sums up so many relationships when they are dying - the sadness, passion and confusion of it all. Love how Madonna sings her songs and does not shout and shriek but conveys the emotion completely. When I think that Holiday is also on this album and she expresses the complete joy of that as well, what a debut. Holiday, Burning up and Borderline are all so different but she nails them in every way. Such an under-rated album.

That is exactly the words so it. Passionate and melancholic. I think it sums up so many relationships when they are dying - the sadness, passion and confusion of it all. Love how Madonna sings her songs and does not shout and shriek but conveys the emotion completely. When I think that Holiday is also on this album and she expresses the complete joy of that as well, what a debut. Holiday, Burning up and Borderline are all so different but she nails them in every way. Such an under-rated album.

So true jazz. Her vocals here :wow: you can actually feel the lyrics and her emotion.

tumblr_ltn4hdEH131qlycwjo1_r3_400.gif

Guest bluejean

Borderline is cool and a classic but Burning Up is one of her best songs ever. The energy of that song is insane. And it really did tear the roof off live when I saw her last month. I almost shot a load in my jocks.

BU is one of my all time favorite Madonna eighties tracks, but agree borderline is a great pop song and video too!

Critics seemed to always praise borderline and comment how it showed M early music did contain depth.

Borderline.

Dont know what y'all smoking. That was many years ago and of course M's not the "desperate" girl like she used to. Anyway, this is a classic. No one can deliver the emotion of that song like she does.

She had me when she kicked the lamppost in her yellow stilettos and ankle socks in the video !

3TPoRp.jpg

Burning up all the way. It was my favourite on the first album from the moment i heard it and im so excited she is performing it on tour im going to go nuts when she performs it as i never thought id hear it live.

Dont get me wrong i love borderline too well i love the entire album but theres a certain spark and energy in burning up it was a sign of what was to come especially the film clip!

Borderline.

Dont know what y'all smoking. That was many years ago and of course M's not the "desperate" girl like she used to. Anyway, this is a classic. No one can deliver the emotion of that song like she does.

All of this!

BORDERLINE

Hands down. Her first 'survival' song. She's being rejected in this song and she's trying to hang on to something they've started. She's not desperate!, and she never was!! Once again, she's a survivor in this song.

The line, "'Cause you got the best of me..." This is it, you've got all that I can give. She's being honest. The person who's fucking with her isn't. A very passionate pop song.

This is the 80's version of 'Waiting'.

A classic.