Lyric Questions

Shane

After all these years, I'm still not clear on whether she sings "I bet he couldn't" or "I barely couldn't" in Devil Wouldn't Recognize You; some lyric sites say one, some another.

In Voices, is it "you claim madness" or "you play 'round this."

Haha :D I'm not sure about Devil, but I believe she sings you claim madness in Voices (and you can clearly hear it in Is This Love which is basically the demo version of the song). By the way does she sing "Are you walking that dog, 'cause that dog isn't "NEW"? It doesn't make much sense to me :D

I have always thought it's I bet he couldn't recognize, but now I'm unsure :cries:

But I'm sure it's You claim madness on Voices.

DanM, yes I think it's "that dog istn't new" because she is speaking in metaphores, "or is that dog walking you" .

I wrote this is in another post about Voices....

I love Voices !!!!!!

Especially the line:

Are you walking the dog

'Cause that dog isn't new
Are you out of control
Is that dog walking you
Anyone can relate to this song. How many times have we truly felt like we were in control of our lives?
Anything can take us over. Skeletons in the closet. Figuring out your sexual identity. Past abusive experiences. Traumatic relationships. Drugs!
This song says to me; take control of yourself. Be who you want to be. Leave your demons behind. And, stop using excuses.
Walk that dog - don't let it walk you.
In Voices:
Voices start to ring in your head
Tell me what do they say
Distant echoes from another time
Start to creep in your brain
So you claim madness like it's convenient
You do it so often that you start to believe it
You have demons so nobody can blame you
But who is the master and who is the slave

In Devil:

I bet he couldn't - "He", meaning the Devil.

I bet he couldn't recognize
But I played right into it
Who am I to criticize?
Somehow I'll get through it
And you won't even realize
You've fallen for your own disguise
Two wonderful great songs!

I wrote this is in another post about Voices....

That's it, good thing someones more eloquent :lol:

But what about the lyrics in Devil? At least the meaning dosen't change quite as drastically as when I first heard Inside Out and tried to forgive Madonna/figure out why she was singing "I'm your niece confess to me". The relief when I saw it was on your knees! :lol:

But what about the lyrics in Devil? At least the meaning dosen't change quite as drastically as when I first heard Inside Out and tried to forgive Madonna/figure out why she was singing "I'm your niece confess to me". The relief when I saw it was on your knees! :lol:

"I'm your knees, confess to me". It's a play on words.

I'm gonna go smoke a joint then write about Devil. Be right back.

I

This post about her being someone's niece killed me

and i am confused with I'M A SINNER lyrics

which is correct?

a. surfs the sky for a place to call home

b. surf the sky....

c. searches the sky....

d. search the sky...

e. something else... :/

I'm pretty sure it's d.

Now, my round: what does the "devil" says in Devil Pray chorus? Have we figured out already?

I'm pretty sure it's d.

Now, my round: what does the "devil" says in Devil Pray chorus? Have we figured out already?

But that's easy?

Oo save my s., oo save my s., oo save my soul, devils here to fool ya.

Oo sing hallelujah oo save my soul, ooooo the devils here to fool ya, until my story is told.

Or did I miss something?

I had this on repeat for hours straight making my collage.

Huh? But knees don't confess or get confessed to, they are what you are ON kneeling in a chapel for example. Must be On your knees! :)

It doesn't need to make since.

It's her way of expressing her feelings. We all get the meaning. We're also being ravished by the way she puts words together.

That's art!

:rotfl:

Webo's assessment of 'Devil Wouldn't Recognize You".

Written while on a few Vs and a couple ....maybe four...tokes.

As quiet as it is tonight

You'd almost think you were safe
Your eyes are full of surprises
They cannot predict my fate
How many times have we all been in a relationship where you were almost afraid to talk? The fighting and nagging has had a quiet moment in their life, for the moment. They can't think of anything to bitch or moan about - but the hate is still there.
Waiting underneath the stars
There's something you should know
The angels they surround my heart
Telling me to let you go
While we're having this quiet time alone and we're getting along with each other so nicely, at the moment. Now, maybe this is a good time for me to tell him how I really feel. "I've been soul searching. I've been looking inside myself and asking myself, what do I really want to make myself happy?". My inner instincts are telling that I should be leaving you". I'm leaving you and theres nothing you can do to change my mind.
I bet he couldn't, I bet he couldn't recognize
But I played right into it, who am I to criticize?
Somehow I’ll get through it and you won't even realize
You've fallen through your own disguise
I've been noticing these strange things about you. I caught you lying. With people I don't know. Making strange phone calls. I ignored it, inside. It's my own fault. Things will be ok, because I might leave you. He tripped up He's said so many lies and has been so deceitful , he's now fallen for his own lies. He's used trickery to get his way so often, that he never even realized that he's now fooled himself. He can't tell right from wrong anymore.
It's like over and over
You're pushing me right down to the floor
I should just walk away
Over and over, I keep on coming back for more
I play into your fantasy
You've been fooling me so much to get what you want. And, I've been taking it over and over. I come back, because I love you so much. Keep using me, keep lying to me, keep being deceitful to me, keep fooling me.......... Wait a second! Maybe I could walk away from all this on my own. ????. He thinks he can keep using me to keep believing his lies. I'll be his perfect actress. Because he now knows that I'm going to leave him now.
Now that it's over
You can lie to me right through your smile
I see behind your eyes
Now I’m sober, no more intoxicating my mind
I did end up making my mind up. I left him. I've opened my eyes! I see through him now. I can see his invisible face and his deceit and lies float out if his beautiful mouth. I've survived and I'm wiser now. I won't let a man overpower me again!
Oh look, there's the Devil. We're waiving to each other. Yes, he fooled the both of us, didn't he?

For all these years, I thought it was "I barely couldn't." I'm gonna now stick with "I bet he couldn't" cause I think that sounds better :laugh:.

I don't mean to sound painfully pedantic but I've always scratched my head at "the steps that edge along the ledge IS much higher than it seems." It should be ARE instead of IS :dramatic:.

and i am confused with I'M A SINNER lyrics

which is correct?

a. surfs the sky for a place to call home

b. surf the sky....

c. searches the sky....

d. search the sky...

e. something else... :/

I'm pretty sure she sings this line differently live than on the album version.

Webo's assessment of 'Devil Wouldn't Recognize You".

Written while on a few Vs and a couple ....maybe four...tokes.

As quiet as it is tonight

You'd almost think you were safe

Your eyes are full of surprises

They cannot predict my fate

How many times have we all been in a relationship where you were almost afraid to talk? The fighting and nagging has had a quiet moment in their life, for the moment. They can't think of anything to bitch or moan about - but the hate is still there.

Waiting underneath the stars

There's something you should know

The angels they surround my heart

Telling me to let you go

While we're having this quiet time alone and we're getting along with each other so nicely, at the moment. Now, maybe this is a good time for me to tell him how I really feel. "I've been soul searching. I've been looking inside myself and asking myself, what do I really want to make myself happy?". My inner instincts are telling that I should be leaving you". I'm leaving you and theres nothing you can do to change my mind.

I bet he couldn't, I bet he couldn't recognize

But I played right into it, who am I to criticize?

Somehow I’ll get through it and you won't even realize

You've fallen through your own disguise

I've been noticing these strange things about you. I caught you lying. With people I don't know. Making strange phone calls. I ignored it, inside. It's my own fault. Things will be ok, because I might leave you. He tripped up He's said so many lies and has been so deceitful , he's now fallen for his own lies. He's used trickery to get his way so often, that he never even realized that he's now fooled himself. He can't tell right from wrong anymore.

It's like over and over

You're pushing me right down to the floor

I should just walk away

Over and over, I keep on coming back for more

I play into your fantasy

You've been fooling me so much to get what you want. And, I've been taking it over and over. I come back, because I love you so much. Keep using me, keep lying to me, keep being deceitful to me, keep fooling me.......... Wait a second! Maybe I could walk away from all this on my own. ????. He thinks he can keep using me to keep believing his lies. I'll be his perfect actress. Because he now knows that I'm going to leave him now.

Now that it's over

You can lie to me right through your smile

I see behind your eyes

Now I’m sober, no more intoxicating my mind

I did end up making my mind up. I left him. I've opened my eyes! I see through him now. I can see his invisible face and his deceit and lies float out if his beautiful mouth. I've survived and I'm wiser now. I won't let a man overpower me again!

Oh look, there's the Devil. We're waiving to each other. Yes, he fooled the both of us, didn't he?

I'm picking up what ur putting down in this post