Papa Don't Preach Video: A Masterpiece

Shane

I just watched this video for the first time in several years. I've probably seen it one hundred times in my life, and it's always been one of my favorites.

But damn, absence makes the heart grow fonder. This video has stood the test of time. Sure, the setting of Staten Island in the 80s is very much of its era, but the performances and narrative are timeless.

Madonna's acting is extremely good, the guy is HOT, Danny Aiello as Papa is spot on, we get to see Debbi Mazar ... and ... Madonna's look in both the story scenes and the cutaway dance footage is divine. This was THE NEW MADONNA of 1986, and she was (and is) everything!

What a video!

Yes, this is the kind of video that works for me. It is like a movie that I don't have o sit 2 hours through and fall asleep. I love how she plays the part in the video, but also narrates it, and she uses the power of different looks to portray two different roles. The part she plays with the striped shirt and the wet look hair is convincing, and it is emotional. The part where she "narrates" with a dance and a glamorous look gives us choreography and another perspective of what is happening. Though the song is about teen age pregnancy, some thought the "baby" was the boyfriend she wanted to keep and marry, and pleaded for her father's acceptance. I really don't like saying this, but I will love if she did more videos of like this now. It is a good template that can work in many different ways. Like her tours always have four sections- it never gets old, because she changes it, and it is always interesting. If she used videos like PDP, EY, and Vogue as templates, like the tour template, I think her videos will be better received. La Isla Bonita did this- we had the simple girl looking out the window, and then we had the Senorita dancing in candles. I like when there are "two" Madonnas in one video.

Brilliant video and message. She looked hot. My favorite part where is all about her, the jacket and the wonderful walking:

4774685_orig.jpg

"It just fit right in with my own personal zeitgeist of standing up to male authorities, whether it's the pope or the Catholic Church or my father and his conservative, patriarchal ways."

:wow:

Everything about it is perfect.

It is one of the best, actually the one that started it all for me back when. I think l was 14 or so and never took to the virgin era but then l saw this on morning TV. Madonna's power of communication in voice and those eyes. My mind was blown and l haven't looked back since. I was so late to school watching on repeat.

My 16 year old sister had fallen pregnant at the time so l had a bit of a connection, l was angry that my family were playing the have to get married card when clearly my sister was not ready for that let alone a baby, l wanted her to stand up and be strong but l also knew she just needed to be hugged by her father like at the end of the video. Madonna gave me comfort and a voice that my thinking and feelings were right and all that judgment and tradition was a load of crap we had to change.

Does anybody know the location of their house in the video? I have always wondered if the house and street still exists, and what the heck is she eating when she is on the ferry, I have always wondered about that too haha

Excellent vid and song, one of her best

Yes, an absolute and timeless classic. I think it stands the test of time better than some of her other 80s videos because these videos were made for a medium that doesn't exist today. You had to be there at that time to fully appreciate them and I'm not sure if young people get them. Whereas Papa Don't Preach also plays like a short film. The director made some feature films, he recently directed some House of Cards episodes (as has David Fincher) and he is signed to direct the Fifty Shades of Grey sequel.

I bought the cd video immediately when it was released and played it all the time, my brother felt so annoying and asked me to stop playing this song anymore😂

whatever happened to the hot guy in the video?

just remember him like in this video... ; ))

and this IS an iconic video

it has NY skylines/M dancing/little controversy. thats a Madonna video for sure.

I can't be the only one that recreates the climbing the stairs walk when they are walking up steps.

guilty for sure!! ; ))

it makes me want to walk stairs more instead of elevators.. thanks M :biggrin:

Oh there's so many fabulous Madonna on stairs / moving floor moments I recreate daily

I love this video. I had the same Pink Panther toy as well :wow:

Oh wow that really looks like it! Someone should get down there and take a picture, or better still, throw on a leather jacket and just walk right in :lol:

pretzel.

Aaaah!