When listening to the "Hits" - which version do you prefer?

UnapologeticRebel

Everybody- Celebration

Burning Up- Celebration

Holiday- IC

Borderline- US 7in single edit

Lucky Star- Celebration

Material Girl- IC

Crazy For You- STR

Into The Groove- DSS ending credits

Dress You Up- Celebration

Open Your Heart- video version

Like A Prayer- 7 inch single edit

Express Yourself- 7 inch single edit

Keep It Together- 7 inch single edit

Vogue- radio edit

Deeper and Deeper- GHV2

Fever- video version

Love Don't Live Here Anymore- LAV

What It Feels Like For A Girl- Above & Beyond

Hollywood- Thin White Duke

Celebration- Benassi mix edit

Bitch I'm Madonna- video version

Oh, one TIC version that I sort of prefer is La Isla Bonita, because whereas other songs are cut annoyingly short, LIB randomly gets an extra repeat of the chorus towards the end.

I generally listen to the album versions, it'd be nice to have the 7" versions and single edits all on one lovely album as the differences are interesting, I never listen to that radio remix of Rain though, totally ruins the song, the album version is perfect.

This, for me. Spotify only has album versions -- except for some songs, like "Dress You Up," where they accidentally have the extended mix listed as the album cut from "Like a Virgin" -- so I mostly find myself listening to album cuts. I do prefer the 7" mixes whenever I open iTunes, though.

The radio mix of "Rain" is one of the worst mixes of her career. God, what a horrible mix. I came across an edit of the album version that was labeled "radio edit" year ago. I can't understand why that wasn't promoted to radio. SO much better.

Tbh, I prefer the Celebration version of Into the Groove because you immediately hear the iconic bassline and due to the remastering it's very noticeable whereas in TIC you can't really hear it well. The piano part in the TIC version is cute though.

Does anyone know why Justify My Love had an official Q-Sound Mix included in the Maxi-Single? I can't for the life of me tell the difference between that version and TIC version.

Oh, one TIC version that I sort of prefer is La Isla Bonita, because whereas other songs are cut annoyingly short, LIB randomly gets an extra repeat of the chorus towards the end.

That's exactly why I prefer the TIC version of LIB :laugh:. To my delight, Madge sings the chorus of LIB at the end three times for the new tour as well.

Both JML and Rescue arnt in qsound on the album. Most likely cause they weren't completed in time to be remixed in qsound.

The q sound mix of JML has a lot of heavy breathing and moan sounds

I tend to listen to the album versions. I find myself preferring the Celebration version of ITG and EY because they immediately bring forwards the bass and sound fresh today. The IC version of ITG, EY and LAP sound too soft for the song, despite groove having that stunning piano part chucked in.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've been listening to all the different versions on repeat trying to hear the little differences and they are all good in their own way but I think for the most part the album versions are what works for me the most.

A few things I've noticed:

"Like a virgin" - the IC and C versions have this bell sound in them that the album version doesn't - is it because they are remastered? Should we hear that in the original? or was it added? that might sound stupid, but I had to ask. The C version is better than IC's version, however, it cuts out at the end a little too soon....therefore, the album version is my favorite.

"Borderline" and "Material Girl" - the vocals on the GH cd's sound very high pitched and there's almost an echo to them - this doesn't exist on the album versions. Does anyone else hear it?

"Holiday" - So the album version and the C version are the same - but the IC mix is different. I LOVE the IC mix - the drums in the middle/breakdown are great, however, I miss the whole "Holiday...Celebration...Come together in every nation" part towards the end which is typically done when Madonna performs it live. It's missing from the IC version.

"Like a prayer" and "Express Yourself" are completely different from the album versions on IC as we all know, and I like them equally. I switch on and off and it sort of refreshes the song for me when I play the album version again after listening to the IC versions. My least favorite version of EY is the "Celebration" mix though.

"Into the groove" - I like the IC version and the piano solo in the middle, however, the beat is way harder on the C version - and from what I understand - that is the "album" version, right?

"Dress You Up" on Celebration is kind of ruined for me with the missing drums in the beginning - so album version wins.

"La Isla Bonita" - is there a difference between the album and C? IC's is missing the drums in the beginning, and I like that a lot, but I prefer the album version.

"Vogue" - is there a difference between the "I'm Breathless" version and IC and C's versions? besides the "What are you looking at" in the beginning? I couldn't pick up on it but I think there might be.

So that's as far as I got but I'm like, screw it, they are all amazing so does it matter? But, I wanted to put all of my favorite versions together in a playlist but I couldn't decide which ones to use. I feel like I need to use the album versions the most but that really shouldn't be the case, especially if a GH version has better sound due to being remastered.

Any other thoughts on this?

On celebration:

Borderline

Like a Virgin

Crazy For You

And

Open Your Heart

Are all lifted directly from The Immaculate Collection

Maybe someone else can back this up. but from what I've noticed from listening to TIC over the years, is that when Shep went to work on TIC, he based a lot of the songs (like Borderline, Virgin, Material, La Isla, Papa, etc....) on the remixes/12" mixes. It's like he edited them down, and scaled down the remix elements. Like the extra percussion in the virgin remix isn't on the immaculate mix, but the twinkle sounds during the chorus on the remix are present on the immaculate version.

Because of that, Ive always wondered if WTG or even DYU made it on TIC, would their immaculate mixes be based on the 12" mix or the album version?

Guest bluejean

Like a Prayer TIC is LIFE!

Usually I prefer to listen to the original single 7" of each song. Express Yourself I think the video mix is where its at, that's basically the one she did on the MDNA tour and its the one that's more famous these days.

I'm in the minority here. I think most of the TIC versions suck. No raw or organic elements in them at all..

TIC Lucky Star - I liked the guitar effect revamp. That was an improvement.

TIC Holiday - The beginning bongos are superfluous. Madonna album versions is better.

TIC Into The Groove - Suck my ass and eat my shit. Again with the bongos! Horrible! The original is corporeal, crude and HARD!

TIC Express Yourself is good. The LAP version is better. Apples and Oranges on that one.

TIC Vogue: Again, the "what are you looking at" is not needed. IB version is better.

TIC Borderline - The sound is muted and that fucking cow bell annoys the hell out of me

TIC Borderline version is this:

video.snl.com@447e3c37-f7a8-3a2b-acd7-71

Also, on TIC the more emotional outo for Open Your Heart is gone.

that depends on the songs...

i love The Immaculate Collection & GHV2 edits... except some songs....but i HATE the Celebration edits.

Open Your Heart edit is horrible. I love the album version end.

Agreed on OYH (see above).

On celebration:

Borderline

Like a Virgin

Crazy For You

And

Open Your Heart

Are all lifted directly from The Immaculate Collection

Maybe someone else can back this up. but from what I've noticed from listening to TIC over the years, is that when Shep went to work on TIC, he based a lot of the songs (like Borderline, Virgin, Material, La Isla, Papa, etc....) on the remixes/12" mixes. It's like he edited them down, and scaled down the remix elements. Like the extra percussion in the virgin remix isn't on the immaculate mix, but the twinkle sounds during the chorus on the remix are present on the immaculate version.

Because of that, Ive always wondered if WTG or even DYU made it on TIC, would their immaculate mixes be based on the 12" mix or the album version?

This explains a lot! Thank you!

What about these?

Holiday is the album version on Celebration - correct?

Burning Up is the album version on Celebration - correct?

La Isla Bonita - is the album version on Celebration but is essentially the same as IC except IC doesn't have the bongos.

Live To Tell - Album version and Celebration are the same - IC is shorter

Material Girl - Album version on Celebration - IC is shorter

I've always wondered why Shep used some 12" mixes for TIC but not others. OYH and LIB had 12" mixes but he modelled their TIC versions on their original album sound.

It really depends on the song...

But from old hits: those are the ones I pretty much never listen to original versions:

Like a Prayer Celebration Version / 12" Dance Mix

Like a Virgin The Confessions Tour Version

Into the Groove Sticky & Sweet Tour Version

Vogue MDNA Tour Version

Edited by MonsieurB

I've always wondered why Shep used some 12" mixes for TIC but not others. OYH and LIB had 12" mixes but he modelled their TIC versions on their original album sound.

Maybe he wasn't fond of some of them?

I think Borderline is his best TIC version, so much fresher than the album version and cut to a better length.