When listening to the "Hits" - which version do you prefer?

UnapologeticRebel

I have almost every version of Madonna's hits in my iTunes and on my iPhone and since there are some slight and some major differences in the versions of her hits (the album version, the IC version and the Celebration version) which versions do you prefer and listen to the most? For the longest time, I typically only play the album versions of most of the tracks except for "Express Yourself" and "Like a Prayer" which typically I listen to the IC versions, however, the album versions are also amazing and I basically end up switching it up from time to time and I don't know if I could every say which one I like more than the other. I've noticed that "Holiday" is quite different on IC but the same on the album version and Celebration.

I'm actually trying to compare them all but the bottom line is that they are all good! I guess I just wanted to see what other fans typically listened to when playing her music.

Guest Rocco Papa

I prefer the IC version of Like a Prayer. I don't know if I prefer the IC or Celebration version of Express Yourself, but I know the album version is last on the list for me. The single remix of Keep It Together also takes the cake for me over the original. I think Shep Pettibone is a genius. If only he got involved on the Like a Prayer album sooner, they could've/should've used his remixes instead. I don't really have a preference for any of the others.

I prefer the IC version of Like a Prayer. I don't know if I prefer the IC or Celebration version of Express Yourself, but I know the album version is last on the list for me. The single remix of Keep It Together also takes the cake for me over the original. I think Shep Pettibone is a genius. If only he got involved on the Like a Prayer album sooner, they could've/should've used his remixes instead. I don't really have a preference for any of the others.

I definitely like the IC version of Express Yourself better than Celebration's version.

I mostly prefer album versions. TIC versions of LAP and EY rate high for me. I do prefer the single remix of KIT and the video remix of Fever to their album versions.

The IC remixes are so unique for each track that I love them all! I do prefer the IC versions of all of the tracks except "Like A Prayer"....I like the dance beat, but just hate that "Yea! Yo! Yea! Yo!" in the break down. lol

I mostly prefer album versions. TIC versions of LAP and EY rate high for me. I do prefer the single remix of KIT and the video remix of Fever to their album versions.

We are soulmate, babe. Seriously.

I love listening to them all to be able to listen to the variations and versions of tracks. A lot of the time, I end up listening to the Celebration versions as they are the most recently remastered tracks and really brings up to date with today's technology.

I'm in the minority here. I think most of the TIC versions suck. No raw or organic elements in them at all..

TIC Lucky Star - I liked the guitar effect revamp. That was an improvement.

TIC Holiday - The beginning bongos are superfluous. Madonna album versions is better.

TIC Into The Groove - Suck my ass and eat my shit. Again with the bongos! Horrible! The original is corporeal, crude and HARD!

TIC Express Yourself is good. The LAP version is better. Apples and Oranges on that one.

TIC Vogue: Again, the "what are you looking at" is not needed. IB version is better.

TIC Borderline - The sound is muted and that fucking cow bell annoys the hell out of me

TIC Borderline version is this:

video.snl.com@447e3c37-f7a8-3a2b-acd7-71

I'm not a fan of the TIC Into the Grove that doesn't include the dramatic "now I know you're mine" bridge, and LTT is cut short. I also don't like the lack of a double chorus on MG. Cherish loses its "joy, my boy" bit. All just annoying.

BUT ... there's an extra oomph to Lucky Star that I like, and the drama in Papa Don't Preach seems heightened.

Burning Up and Lucky Star sound better, more up-to-date remastered on the Celebration gh album. Hung Up also. And Revolver is a great song.

Burning Up and Lucky Star are the best songs. The basslines, the riffs in those two songs are the best. Even better than in Beat It or Back in Black.

Edited by waradula

When listening to the hits... I prefer The Immaculate Collection but I will say that I tend to skip songs like "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl". I never liked the TIC version of those two songs for some reason, probs b/c they're edited versions and I just feel like it's not as I don't know as great as the album version.

I don't really listen to GHV2, just cause I haven't really gotten around to listening to it being that I've read so many bad reviews from fans and I guess non-fans, their reasoning being the songs being heavily edited in a bad way? And also, not having released a new song like TIC had.

As for Celebration, I bought the physical release and all I can say is, apart from the beautiful packaging, it was just bad, poor and lazy release. Supposedly, the songs are remastered but from what I could tell the songs were just altered, as in they just turned up the volume to make it sound "mastered".

I'm trying to come up with the ultimate greatest hit's playlist so I find all of your comments interesting! I definitely feel like the remasters do add some extra power to the tracks - but, I miss the extra vocals on songs like "Lucky Star" and "Borderline" that you get with the album versions...the longer versions.

As far as "Into The Groove" goes, I too like the keyboard solo, but I find the Celebration version has louder and more distinquished sounds - I can't explain it.

Sometimes when I play the GH albums the songs just sound so fresh it's hard to choose.

I'm always confused as to which is the proper version of Express Yourself. Radio seem to play the Q-Sound Mix, album version is the album version and the 12" only contain remixes as well as the 7". Which one is the proper single version that radio played at the time of release?

I'm always confused as to which is the proper version of Express Yourself. Radio seem to play the Q-Sound Mix, album version is the album version and the 12" only contain remixes as well as the 7". Which one is the proper single version that radio played at the time of release?

The version that was on the 7" single.

Theres a version of Holiday I haven't been able to find, its only on Spotify but I prefer that over the iTunes version I have. I also prefer the Immaculate Collection of Into The Groove over Celebration :sassy:

I generally listen to the album versions, it'd be nice to have the 7" versions and single edits all on one lovely album as the differences are interesting, I never listen to that radio remix of Rain though, totally ruins the song, the album version is perfect.

I mostly listen to the album versions of every song. Exceptions are Take a Bow (I prefer the GHV2 version: the original repeats the chorus a bit too much) and Deeper and Deeper (the GHV2 edit somehow flows better than the original). I loathe the IC version of LAP but the EY remix is awesome!

I liked the IC LAP because it was close to the BAT version - I loved how it was originally performed live. I usually tend to prefer the mixes she uses live. The video mix of Fever is far superior than the album version to me.

TIC Into The Groove - Suck my ass and eat my shit. Again with the bongos! Horrible! The original is corporeal, crude and HARD!

TIC Express Yourself is good. The LAP version is better. Apples and Oranges on that one.

TIC Vogue: Again, the "what are you looking at" is not needed. IB version is better.

LOL - I like the ITG version at the end of DSS - to me, THAT is the original version, I love it! Oh- how about YCD's ITG c-c-c-c--c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-ome on come on! come come come come come come! c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-ome on! lol for me, it was just as annoying as the WTG version (which is where it c-c-c-c-c-comes from)

TIC's EY beginning - the sounds sound like "suckity suckity suck suck suck" if the sounds were words. I used to be happy she didn't start the BAT with this. Imagine those sounds as she comes up the elevator lol.

TIC Vogue- well, I think Madonna loves the "wadda u lookin' at taahhh!" - because she keeps using it for most current live performances since RIT (not S&S) -and I LOVE the s&s version- she looks powerful.

For me, I usually tend to like live mixes of her songs. There are always extra tweeks that make them sound like how they are meant to be, or a better version. A few examples: I loved LAP on the BAT, even though I wanted to see the album version, this (TIC) version floored me, and I even liked it better than the video. Fever on GS was waaaaay better than the album version, and that was like the video mix. I did like GS's D&D better than the album until RH. DW's WIFLFAG was better than the album version IF it was in English, but I like that mix better, and I liked the video version almost better- if it had all of the lyrics, I think that will have been the best version. Hollywood at the VMA's was hot like that, and a shame it wasn't performed in RIT. Future Lovers on CT surpasses the album version.

Also, since I don't like slower songs/ballads, I always like the dance/sped up remixes better. When I used to make tapes/cds of her albums, I used to replace them with the remix I thought was better. Now, I just replace the remix I like over the original in a play list. It makes the albums more exciting to me. Yes, I have the Don Diablo Ghosttown replaced over the album version.