The Famous 1985 AMA Appearance

Shane

Madonna presented an award with Huey Lewis at this ceremony.

We know Madonna didn't win an American Music Award until 1987, but there is the famous photograph of her, a closeup in which she is holding a statue. Was this the statue that she and Huey were presenting, or did she accept an award on someone's behalf?

I know that certain Madonna bios erroneously published that she won an award that year for Like a Virgin.

You just don't usually see photographs of singers with a trophy that they didn't win so I want to know whose it is!

I was always surprised that she didn't win more AMA's in the 80s because they were voted on by fans.

It's a pity that she has only won 3 awards thus far... none of which for Fav album or female... and the worst of all, she has never won the fav pop/rock female category

she did won for fav video female, fav dance single and international artist of the year (which only make the airtime like 5 sec)...

its quite evident that she's not a popular choice when it comes to awards....

Someone out there must know the answer to this! I feel like the picture of her holding the trophy is so famous that certain biographies went so far as to state that she won for Pop/Rock Album, which according to the AMA site, she did not! It's so odd that she's holding a trophy, but I suppose it could just be the one that she presented.

It's also interesting given how popular she was and how many awards she won over time that she never captured Pop/Rock Female at the AMA'S, losing in her peak years to Cyndi, Tina, Whitney, and Paula.

She was always a bit edgy and divisive even when she was the biggest seller by far, and that's part of why she's outlasted all of them.