J.LO: How a photograph of Madonna changed everything

billiejean

Madonna’s jogging never went unnoticed, with pictures of her running in the park, often surrounded by bodyguards, going round the world. Boy George recently told HuffPostUK that he used to laugh at the pop superstar’s tireless exercise regime “and now I jog”.

One young girl in particular used to pore over those photographs of Madonna at her home in New York’s Bronx. Now she’s a superstar in her own right, she credits those early images for inspiring her to follow her dream.

Jennifer Lopez tells HuffPostUK: “It was all about Madonna for me. She inspired me to want to sing, to dance, to work hard. I saw those pictures of her running in the park, training, and I thought, that’s what I need to be doing.

“I’m a girl living in the Bronx at this point. I’ve never seen the inside of a gym, but I thought, I’m going to find myself a track. It wasn’t a moment on stage that did it, it was a picture of Madonna in the park.”

o-MADONNA-570.jpg?1

One of the pictures of Madonna jogging that inspired young Jennifer Lopez to do her thing

25 years later, and Jennifer Lopez has proved herself a worthy follower, with the sale of more than 60 million records, and matching success on screen and in business. Surprisingly, it was only in 2012 that she embarked on her first world tour, visiting 65 countries and reaching a million fans.

Even more surprisingly, this massive effort came as Jennifer was still recovering from the tumultuous process of splitting from Marc Anthony, her husband of seven years and the father of her two children. She tells HuffPostUK of the tour: “I had just gotten through the divorce, I was going on the road as a single mother. There were emotional aspects of the unknown.”

The HBO documentary ‘Dance Again’ captures her tireless musical performance, along with a far more vulnerable Jennifer behind the scenes, rehearsing, relaxing and being mother to her twin children Emme and Maximilian.

“This tour was therapy,” is how she describes it now. “It was a case of, pick yourself up and dance again. That’s why this documentary was born, it was an account of survival.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/21/jennifer-lopez-dance-again_n_8348168.html

I was never into the jogging pics, even though they inspired me. I thought they were too invasive. I wonder what that guy in the tie thinks he is doing lol- it looks like he doesn't belong. It is great to hear that of Jennifer. I never knew this.

Invasive indeed - and these pics were such in contrast to all the glamorous photoshoots that were used in the magazines, back in the day.

Not surprised to see Madonna being an inspiration yet again :)

If they were all sincere they would all be saying the same as Jlo. The iconic Courtney Love / Madonna VMA awards 95 interview crash is always cut short but if you watch in full, you'll see Courtney tell Madonna that Kurt and her went to see "Truth or Dare" and he kept telling her "It's you, it's you" and she was proud of it. She's also kneeling before her and saying "95 was bad right but let's hope 96 will be better" and you see that she's desperate to be close to her. If you read Christopher book, he says the same thing about Courtney but also about all the celebrities he was close to because he was the closest to Madonna they could be. Madonna don't hang out, don't like celebrity parties and she puts barriers that's a what made some really mad like Elton John because she always refused to go to his parties and be closer. There's an interview of him from the mid 90's where he says he does not invite her anymore because she never comes.

I love J.Lo and she was big in the beginning of 2000, Her debut album, her second album and that remix album were really good. But after that she lost the connection. I didnt like her recent stuff, her works with that Pitbull guy, it all made her cheap somehow, since I dont like Pitbull maybe. But her stuff with Jarule were really good. And that song she stole from Mariah is better then Mariahs aswell.

I remember an MTV item on JLo in 1999 when she was just starting. One of the first shots was JLo returning from a run in NY or LA. She already had the madonna-thing going back then, in terms of exercise... ; )) [in the background playing if you had my] when you watch her first video now, it looks so very old.

But who ISNt inspired by M running. Its an expression of sheer determination/drive and stamina and one of the few moments many could enjoy.

I always felt a little bit like that running in Nice/promenade des Anglais.

But who ISNt inspired by M running. Its an expression of sheer determination/drive and stamina and one of the few moments many could enjoy.

I always felt a little bit like that running in Nice/promenade des Anglais.

:chuckle: But it's so true. Who isn't inspired by M's flawlessly buff and toned arms? She makes me want to be better, that's why I love her.

Oh, and there's definitely a soft spot in my heart for J. Puta too.

Edited by billyto

I once sighted a photograph of Madonna eating, it changed everything, now i eat.

JLO is so insightful, I'm pleasantly surprised she has not yet received a Nobel peace prize for outstanding excellence in jogging.