What were your first impressions of Erotica album?

Shane

As I said... I was a chart-loon at the time and usually Madonna could do no wrong... with her album releases she usually had a couple of No.1 singles and the rest were Top5 hits... Erotica marked the time, when she was losing the chart battle the first time since she became a superstar... Whitney, Janet and Paula were scoring No.1s left and right while my fave for the first time in my life wasn't...

And when I first listened to the Erotica album Deeper And Deeper stood out as the track with the most chart potential... I had so high hopes that she would widen her lead over her chart rivals... so when it "performed bad" for Madonna's standards at the time... I was very disappointed since I thought no other single release off Erotica for the rest of 1993 would do any better... in retrospect it was a hit and successful... sure... it peaked at No. 7 in the US and was a Top10 hit in many countries... but at the time it felt like a huge let-down...

Oh sorry, thanks for clarifying! I followed the charts then too, but the difference is that in my rural area, we only got Casey's Top 40. I can never remember what his was based on, either Radio and Records or Cashbox. One of you chart experts will know. But my point is, it was only as an adult (probably on this forum) that I learned that Billboard was the official music industry bible. Madonna did really well on the other chart during that era. This Used to Be My Playground was number one for a full month, they made a big deal about Deeper and Deeper being her thirteenth number one, and Rain was in the top ten for weeks. Then you went into the I'll Remember - Bedtime Stories era where the positions I think lined up more with Billboard. But as a teen listening to Casey's Top 40 in that era, you would never have known that Madonna was "under performing" by some standards. Even Bad Girl ranked fairly high (but not top 10), and I remember just chalking it up to being too serious for Joe Public, like Oh Father.