What were your first impressions of Erotica album?

Shane

I was obsessed with Erotica. I felt as if Madonna was free of any artistic restraints. It was also refreshing when I'm sure the world wanted another Like A Prayer or Vogue.

It's a gutsy and bold album as well as personal and artistic. I adore it.

It really scared me because I was so young.

Then I remember a few years later for whatever reason buying it. I popped it in my computer, put my headphones on and it was seriously like a revelation. From beginning to end. I then started downloading all the videos and performances over my dial up internet. I bought the Girlie Show. I was obsessed.

It's my favorite album of all time.

I was 11, and wasn't really aware of the press lashings she was getting. I remember the local kiss station played tracks from the cd before it was released and I happened to catch the tail end of Fever on the radio and LOVED it.

My parents refused to let me buy the cd, so I stole it from the store by undoing the shrink wrapping, taking the cd out of the case and stuffing it down my pants. My favorites were Fever and In this Life, which is weird because now I think they are two of the weaker tracks, and tracks I didn't like back then (where life begins, secret garden) are some of my favorites now.

I still loved the album back then, but I knew I wasn't gonna be playing it on family trips like I did with Like a Prayer. Oh well.

I just turned 19 when it was released and I was really disappointed by the album. At the time I was really chart-obsessed and feared for Madonna's immaculate and flawless chart statistics... I mean Oh Father was a first indication that the magic wouldn't last forever... but after listening to the album, I thought that only Rain and Deeper And Deeper had any chart potential... I was very happy, when Deeper And Deeper was announced to be the second single, but was crestfallen when it performed so bad and that she looked so ugly in the Video (compared to her 80s material)... at the time it was the battle Madonna vs. Paula Abdul and Madonna was losing it... chart-wise... (of course Paula's streak ended in 92 as well, but at the time it seemed that she was surpassing Madonna with her next album).

Personally I only really liked Erotica and Deeper And Deeper and was disappointed by songs like Did You Do It? and Bye Bye Baby...

Today my opinion hasn't changed much... I had to wait another 6 years for an Madonna album I really liked again... Ray Of Light...

Well, yesterday was the 23 year anniversary date, and I was thinking about this. Before Erotica came out, I was enthusiastic about it. It was going to be the first CD of hers I ever bought, and in fact, I reframed from buying any CD until I bought Erotica, because I wanted Erotica to be a first in years (not counting CDs given to me as gifts lol). I had a best friend who is a musician come with me to buy it. He knew how excited I was for this. I did not know what the album cover was going to be or anything, I only knew the title track, and the remixes. I really didn't like the cover- I wanted hair and clothes. I wasn't into the back cover, either, because to me, she all ready did that look for TOD promos. Later on, when I figured out where the album cover close up came from, I was like why wasn't THAT used, it's so much better! I was still excited, anyway, When we got back home, we played it from start to finish. I read the lyrics as I listened, but when D&D came on, I HAD to dance lol. He, being a musician, had technical music comments, of course, but I didn't mind. He actually predicted what she will release, and he was almost right (BBB was surprising, even though it was released over seas) - almost right, because he thought Thief Of Hearts, Words, and WISH were definite no questions asked releases. After the first listen, we played it again and again. He was not a Madonna fan, yet, but he liked most of the album. I loved most of it (of course the slower songs, I had no interest in, even though ITL got me emotional). We both thought this album was going to be hit after hit, and him saying that at the time was shocking to me, because usually he dissed Madonna a lot. The next day, we got the SEX book (which is today), and he commented he thought it was too soon for the book to be released. LOL I yelled saying I waited all year for it- but he meant it in a promotional, give it time kind of way. This was and is still a favorite album. It does miss a lot of releases, IMHO. Oh- and also, I did not think it was a "sexual" album. The way it was being talked about, it sounded like it was going to be sex sex sex, like Two Live Crew. Aside from Erotica and WLB, it was pretty much a calm album to what I was expecting. I certainly was not disappointed. What I liked about the songs, is I got different images of what they (or she) will look like if they were live or a video. For example, when I heard D&D, I actually imagined how she currently looks singing it. When I heard Thief Of Hearts, I saw her doing a video where she plays two roles- one as a hot cop, and the other as the thief she catches. For words, I saw her wearing a newspaper skirt with newspaper flying around her. The Bad Girl video looked exactly the way I envisioned it. For Rain, I actually saw her seated at a large window. It was fun guessing/predicting what will be released, how she will look, and how the next tour will be.

I was very happy, when Deeper And Deeper was announced to be the second single, but was crestfallen when it performed so bad and that she looked so ugly in the Video (compared to her 80s material)...

Personally I only really liked Erotica and Deeper And Deeper and was disappointed by songs like Did You Do It? and Bye Bye Baby...

I just turned 19, as well! lol- I felt the same way when I saw the previews of the D&D video on MTV. First, I thought it looked too similar to the Erotica video, but I thought I have to give it a chance when I actually see it. I thought maybe it will make more sense and have some cohesiveness. No- it was a big mess. The -only- part of the video that was cool was her wearing the red dress with the loose crimped hair and ostrich boa, and that lasted a few seconds. Everything else had to go. The balloons being popped and her freaking out, the no lip syncing, the no dance sequence/choreography, the Vogue photo shoot, the German guy saying "clock clive ah!", and worst of all that freak guy pounding his chest. LOL I had to let it out. I almost forgot about DYDI- I never counted that as a song lol- it was rap over Waiting. Oh- I know D&D was "supposed" to be like that (for fans that like this video)- but I was not into it.

Oh I went down to OUR PRICE in my lunch hour. Got the cassette and had it on my Walkman non stop. In fact it's surprising as loads of people had the album and got it for Xmas.

I got the vinyl as well.

I recall my little cousin who at the time was 8 demanded it for Xmas as she always copied me. My auntie got her the "dirty " version. She still has it and always goes on about it

Anyways I fucking loved the album. As a 15 year old it has so many memories. Deeper and Deepr stood out for me and still does but u love it all. My best friend sill adores Secret Garden.

I think the ones I played most were D&D, Erotica, Waiting and Thief of Hearts.

Side note. Mama Lecter loved Bye Bye Baby. I have no idea .

I also don't get the hate for Did you do it.

It has the fabulous Waiting beat. What's not to like.

I think In this Life was the only duff one but the liver performance made it better

I wanna go back to 92

I was 14 and waiting for this album to come out was the most agonizing experience of my life at the time. :lol: I rushed to the record store in town, after school, went straight home and popped in the stereo. I closed my bedroom door and gave explicit instructions to everyone in family that I was NOT to be disturbed. :lmao: (I still do this with every new album - the first listen is an EXPERIENCE). I unfolded the lyric booklet so I could read along as she was singing. I was shaking with anticipation as I started listening. My expectations and hopes were otherworldly. This was my first new Madonna album. I had been a completely obsessed megafan for just over a year at that time, so I missed out on every new release pre-Erotica. This was truly the biggest thing in my life. All that being said, I cannot lie - initially, I was let down. It took a few listens before I realized its brilliance. I was disappointed, at first, that there was a lot of speaking instead of singing (or, what felt like a lot at the time). I didn't pick up on anything being particularly catchy, like the Madonna I was so used to hearing. But with each spin, I fell deeper and deeper. :inlove: And little did I know then how much her music would change and evolve through the years, and keep getting better.

Now, it's forever a part of me. It truly helped define and mold me as a young teenage gay boy, coming to terms with who I was and the man I would become. I owe a great deal of my strength and self-acceptance to this album, and of course, to Madonna in general.

I was 14 and waiting for this album to come out was the most agonizing experience of my life at the time.

I totally understand... I have this theory that the music you listen to/love at the age of 13/14 leaves the biggest impact on you in your entire life... for me it was the True Blue era...

And I also get what you say about that you felt it was a lot of speaking and no catchy tunes on there... I felt the same... unlike you I never got into Erotica... but I appreciate the album and get why it became a fan-favourite over time, because it didn't get the love from the public...

Guest eroticerotic

hmm at the time it was all about gangster rap/rap/hip hop/house/trip hop/drum and bass so erotica fit right into what i was listening to. i was 12/13 so it affirmed my teenage rage/angst haha. i remember taking a pencil's metal part and wrapping it around my front tooth (i have a gap there too so it was easy to do) :D. My nickname was Tito so I introduced myself as that as well. Her album and attitude just felt on point to me. :)

Now that I'm remembering the culture then, omg have we gone so backwards this day and age. I was listening/watching Howard Stern, David Letterman was on point as well, Arsenio, Nine Inch Nails, Roseanne was on fire, Dr Judy on z100 too, MTV was groundbreaking, society was much more open to discussing things that exist in real life. even though we had a long way to go back then, i feel like its as if the 90s never happened the way people react to things. there was a respect that lacks in today's culture. so sad!

It was a good time actually

I loved it the first time I played it and still do. Was blown away by Bad Girl, Waiting, Words, Why's It So Hard and Where Life Begins.

I remember thinking it was a long album and also thinking that it actually wasn't very 'sexy' - the titles sounded sexy, like 'DAD' and 'Why's It So Hard' but they didn't go on about sex. Also, it was very different to anything in the UK charts which was ravey and europoppy so that was refreshing.

I find it odd when people say it's a cold album as I find it very rich and chunky sound for nightime. ROL is much colder to me. I loved Erotica as well as Waiting, DAD, Fever, Thief of Hearts... Words production was intriguing. I often wonder how they make the sounds in that. Bye Bye Baby was too lightweight and in the wrong place for me. I never did like Rain or In This Life and would still bin those tracks! Secret Garden was a surprise and sounds slightly out of place to the rest of the club sound but I admire it. I hated Bad Girl and thought it dreary but fell in love after the video came out and now I love it. Where Life Begins lyrics still make me cringe when she says 'finger lickin' good' but I do love the tune. I must play it again.

I must admit, I'd still prefer a different cover. I've never loved it like I love LAV, TB and Madonna covers.

It's an album I'll play in winter on dark nights but not one I'd play in the summer.

It's still one of my faves overall with the wonderful video and photoshoots that went with it.

I was 14 and I bought it the day it came out. I loved every single track on the album. My least favorite, strangely enough, was Bad Girl; I found the chorus too "easy". I changed my mind when I saw the video, of course. Please note that Did You Do It was not included on my version. I found the beats to be her best ones yet, it was a bit house-y at the time. It was my favorite album in 1992, but the most recent album is pretty much always my favorite. The cover is still my favorite though, along with MDNA and American Life.

Now, as for the Sex book, it was 75$ here in Canada, and I didn't have 75$ when I was 14. My mom didn't want me to see the book, but I knew I had to buy it cuz I knew it was a limited edition. So I made a deal with my dad: He buys the book and he hides it until I turn 18. I refunded him in the next year. I also found the book the next day he bought it LOL When I told my parents about it, they gave it to me when I just turned 17. My mom was really unhappy about it LOL It was a good time to be a Madonna fan.

I loved the single so much. It was dark , menacing and the chorus is ecstatic. When i got the album i thought the tracks were too long (i still do). I fell in love with Secret Garden right away and i still am, i loved Why's it so hard (should have been a single instead of Fever in Europe to compete with All that she wants from Ace of Base that has the same vibe). I had a problem with her voice on some parts of Bad Girl and Deeper and Deeper (too nasal). I didn't like the flamenco guitar in DAD (the Rebel Heart tour version redeemed it for me finally). I loved Waiting so much. I thought "Thief of hearts" was a missed oppurtunity because it was way too slow for a club banger. Words was fantastic. I loved the strings and orchestra in In this life. I loved her voice on Rain. I thought that overall it's a cold album but i loved it and i still do the exact same way.

I was 15 when it came out. I had been a huge M fan since I was little and I kept up with her every move. I was intrigued by the song Erotica but I was feeling a little nervous for her at that point, because I had seen articles bad mouthing her for taking things too far and I was worried for her lol. When I first listened to the album, it pained me that I didn't like it that much outside of a few tracks (D&D, Bad Girl, Rain) And that felt so foreign because that had never happened to me with her previously. The more I listened the more I grew to like more tracks and it eventually won me over as a whole. But it marked the first time ever my reaction wasn't immediately positive for her material.

I just turned 19 when it was released and I was really disappointed by the album. At the time I was really chart-obsessed and feared for Madonna's immaculate and flawless chart statistics... I mean Oh Father was a first indication that the magic wouldn't last forever... but after listening to the album, I thought that only Rain and Deeper And Deeper had any chart potential... I was very happy, when Deeper And Deeper was announced to be the second single, but was crestfallen when it performed so bad and that she looked so ugly in the Video (compared to her 80s material)... at the time it was the battle Madonna vs. Paula Abdul and Madonna was losing it... chart-wise... (of course Paula's streak ended in 92 as well, but at the time it seemed that she was surpassing Madonna with her next album).

Today my opinion hasn't changed much... I had to wait another 6 years for an Madonna album I really liked again... Ray Of Light...

I'm confused when you say that Deeper and Deeper performed so bad. It was a huge hit! Went to Number One on Casey's Top 40, and 7 or 8 in Billboard I believe. The song was all over the radio and MTV. It was Bad Girl that just grazed the top 40, and then Rain was another big hit.

I hated it.

I found it extremely boring and dark...

i used to listen to Deeper&Deeper and Why's It So Hard only. :)

What the?

Dark and boring?

Firstly, dark is a good thing. Explain the boring parts?

That album is full of alluring hooks and classic riffs. All the songs have a remarkable melodies and arrangements. The lyrics are deep and meaningful. My first listen, I was enamored.

Are you sure you weren't accidentally listing to The Bodyguard Soundtrack at the time?

People pontificate in this forum all the time. If you have that strong of an opinion about something, elaborate.

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm asking because maybe I missed something. I'm your Devil's advocate for the sake of a friendly debate.

I was 15 when it came out. I had been a huge M fan since I was little and I kept up with her every move. I was intrigued by the song Erotica but I was feeling a little nervous for her at that point, because I had seen articles bad mouthing her for taking things too far and I was worried for her lol. When I first listened to the album, it pained me that I didn't like it that much outside of a few tracks (D&D, Bad Girl, Rain) And that felt so foreign because that had never happened to me with her previously. The more I listened the more I grew to like more tracks and it eventually won me over as a whole. But it marked the first time ever my reaction wasn't immediately positive for her material.

LCD, had the same reaction as you. When Erotica first come out, I did not instantly love it like I loved every other previous album. Also just the same as you, the more I listened to it, the more I began to love it and appreciate it. It was a pretty big departure and sound from her previous records. It was way before it's time. I now see it as being a master-stroke and exciting change up. Love this album now with a passion. Madonna's music is always ever changing from album to album. She has always taken risks and recorded the music she wanted to record.

She was the biggest pop star the world had ever seen, and Erotica was her first new studio album in more than three years.

Although a fan favorite now, the cd received mixed reviews in 1992. Do you remember (those who are old enough) your initial impression of the album? What tracks struck you right from the get go? Did you love the entire album, or were you underwhelmed?

I can vividly remember sitting on my bed and playing the cassette (!) for the very first time.

To be honest, I remember thinking that both Fever and Bye Bye Baby went on a bit too long. The first track to blow me away was Deeper and Deeper. I enjoyed the slinky Where Life Begins, and then was blown away again by the hook and chorus melody of Bad Girl. I loved the trinity of Waiting, Thief of Hearts and Words, then went into ecstatic reverie for Rain.

The final section didn't stick as much at first.

What are your memories of Erotica?

Loved it to the death. Still do. Her best album, hands down.

It's the album that impressed me most at first listen. I don't recall being shocked at the musical departure. Let's face it, from LAP to I'm Breathless was a bigger musical departure. At that time, she could have record some Medulla and i would have found it ok, hahahah.

I recall i was ready with JML and Erotica for that new sound but when i put the cd i was so trapped that i was playing it over and over and over and made me stop just in case i got sick of it, hahahaha.

I still play it very often. It's the Madonna album that i play the most.

I recall i was disappointed with the end of the album. I'm still are. In This Life/Did You Do It/Secret Garden was not as good as the rest of the album. That's why i still don't know by heart the lyrics for Secret Garden, because i used to stop the cd when WISH ended.

LCD, had the same reaction as you. When Erotica first come out, I did not instantly love it like I loved every other previous album. Also just the same as you, the more I listened to it, the more I began to love it and appreciate it. It was a pretty big departure and sound from her previous records. It was way before it's time. I now see it as being a master-stroke and exciting change up. Love this album now with a passion. Madonna's music is always ever changing from album to album. She has always taken risks and recorded the music she wanted to record.

Totally agree, jazzy! Definitely before its time and I grew to love it more and more with each passing year.

I was 19 when it came out. I remember being a little depressed and wasnt sure if it was me or the tracks werent really as melodic and uplifting as I expected. It was suppose to be my antidepressant at the time.. I did love JML the year before and had been watching TOD a million times. This, I guess was suppose to be LAP part II for me. expectations...

Deeper and deeper was the only track my friends liked. and I played all tracks// usually on my way to shitty jobs in the rain on my sony-wm. [i was a student with lots of jobs] some of the music [for me] is connected to dark, cold autumn mornings & endless bike rides.

I must say this album has grown on my more than i could ever imagine. & Bad girl and rain video's were stunning. I think 90% of this album is still on heavy rotation on all my devices.

But if I may compare, I remember a few years later i picked up BS from my fave record store and instantly feeling happy and satisfied. Both these albums are still very high on my list!

She is clearly all about change, growth, darkness and light. In the end it all works so well. :inlove::inlove: Amen

I played hookie from school, took the bus to the mall, and bought the cassette. I still remember stalking through the book store looking longingly at the Sex book. I put the tape in my Walkman and listened to it on repeat for almost a year. Favorite album ever. I was 13. On November 12, I got my mom to return to the mall and buy Sex for me. I would not be deterred.

When the video premiered on midnight on a Friday, I'd been at church youth group so one of the Jesus freaks gave me and my sisters a ride home and came in to watch the video. He was appalled in every way. The sex. The nudity. The cross in lights. Of course, he was totally a self-loathing closet gay. Anyhow, I loved it and watched the video on repeat until dawn.

Those were the days.

Waiting. Rain. Thief of Hearts.

guys, i was just 8 years old when the album was released :):D

i was not into the adult music... and i did not know any english then... :)

(and Erotica was the first M album i bought)

Sorry, didn't know. I assumed, and made an ass of myself. Sorry, hun!

:kiss2:

I'm confused when you say that Deeper and Deeper performed so bad. It was a huge hit! Went to Number One on Casey's Top 40, and 7 or 8 in Billboard I believe. The song was all over the radio and MTV. It was Bad Girl that just grazed the top 40, and then Rain was another big hit.

As I said... I was a chart-loon at the time and usually Madonna could do no wrong... with her album releases she usually had a couple of No.1 singles and the rest were Top5 hits... Erotica marked the time, when she was losing the chart battle the first time since she became a superstar... Whitney, Janet and Paula were scoring No.1s left and right while my fave for the first time in my life wasn't...

And when I first listened to the Erotica album Deeper And Deeper stood out as the track with the most chart potential... I had so high hopes that she would widen her lead over her chart rivals... so when it "performed bad" for Madonna's standards at the time... I was very disappointed since I thought no other single release off Erotica for the rest of 1993 would do any better... in retrospect it was a hit and successful... sure... it peaked at No. 7 in the US and was a Top10 hit in many countries... but at the time it felt like a huge let-down...