What was wrong with "Hard Candy" anyway?!

mad4mad2

I remember this Britney Stan in here having a go at me because I said I liked Incredible. I logged off and didn't come back for 2 more years :lmao:

OMG :lol:

People are crazy! I forget just how bizarre it use to be here

"Hard Candy" was just a bit boring, to be honest. It had some good moments -- I still love "Heartbeat" -- but the most of the album was lifeless, especially the Timabland tracks.

Someone upthread pointed to "20/20" and "Blurred Lines" as proof that "Hard Candy" was ahead of its time, which is crazy to me since "20/20" sounds like someone "FutureSex/LoveSounds" in a microwave and "Blurred Lines" is absolute shit. Since when did "played on pop radio" become synonymous with "good?"

Also, Timberlake was just the worst during this era. I think it was on the Ellen show where he tried to take credit for writing "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" -- said he saw the line in a book of her poetry or something and thought it would make a good song. Bitch didn't realize that the title had been floating around the internet since the Reinvention Tour. There's probably an acoustic demo of the track from 2004 too.

Thank God for Sticky. Crow vocals be damned, some of these tracks came alive on stage. "She's Not Me" is near the top of my list of songs where a weak album cut became a classic live perf.

The negativity was she was working with black producers. I stand by this. Since 1996, when those ray of lighters emerged, they were used to aryan Madonna. David foster, Andrew Lloyd webber, William orbit, mirwais, Stuart price.

Remember the time, madonna fans were upset that radio was all R&B.

They will NEVER admit this.

I argued with so many people that this wasn't going to be a "rap" album.

Ridiculous.

Guest Rachelle of London

Timbaland loves the socks off M. Every interview about her he gushes about her, even on his E True Hollywood Story. I'm gutted she never worked with him end of the 90s. I preferred him and Missys work back then.

I love it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. There are some sincere wonderful songs on it.

I listen to it all the time. It's a a great album to work-out out to.

I love the cover too. Spread those legs, baby.

This forum was a nightmare back then with the Rayoflighter othersnorer mtripers running amok in here. The forum was very negative and the bitchfights were endless. I started that mnation twitter/fb as my own refuge and to be able to enjoy posting about Madonna with less annoying fans. It was fucking ridiculous even appreciation threads here turned into bitchfests complaining she's no longer great, lost it, should retire, etc. This was all going on before the album was even released! It then got worse and they were also hopping on the Gaga train. Thankfully it's a whole different world here nowadays and most of these dreadful people are gone!

I agree. It was awful. Even though I don't really care for Hard Candy, these Rayoflighters are the worst. Unless Madonna is singing an "age-appropriate", white woman sounding ballad, they complain and bitch about EVERYTHING and make this place so unpleasant.

I can't believe some of the things I'm reading on here!! Hard Candy is incredible (pun intended) and does the trick of being both fun AND interesting - it's such a pleasure to listen to and jam to but underneath all the "mindless" songs that people complain about is a lot of subtext and tension - about her divorce, going against time/turning 50, between her collaborators...I believe making this record helped her rediscover herself and gave her the willpower to slay even harder.

tumblr_n74rh8PEIB1qlycwjo1_1280.jpg

I adore this Tisci dress :inlove::inlove::inlove:

and the S&S tour version too.

It must have been a grueling time for her. Right on the tracks of being universally criticized for saving David, turning 50, Christopher book, wanting to move back to New York, menopause, editing her movie, finishing the album and most of all being in the middle of a divorce, trying to hide it as much as possible plus rehearsals. It's not a perfect album and it's not a perfect era but she was such a trooper and she went through it with panache. Everything was against her.

I love the album! Like these past two years I've really started to appreciate it. It has some of her best melodies imo especially She's Not Me! The only thing I couldn't get into was her image for the era, other than the BET look

What has been done to her face since, her nasal -"cheek" folds (don't remember the correct word) are almost gone now compared to then?

And I really rhink she tried to save her marriage even very late in this period, she had been out late the night before S&S London celebrating Guys birthday.

I loved this album and tour very much. I did think that it will have been received better in 1998 rather 2008. When I heard 4 minutes with the "pickie pickie"- it took me back ten years. That is when both Timbaland and Justin just were getting hot. She will have "discovered" them, and have been ahead. That is the era when the "featuring _____" started. I still liked it, no matter what year it came out.

"Hard Candy" was just a bit boring, to be honest. It had some good moments -- I still love "Heartbeat" -- but the most of the album was lifeless, especially the Timabland tracks.

Someone upthread pointed to "20/20" and "Blurred Lines" as proof that "Hard Candy" was ahead of its time, which is crazy to me since "20/20" sounds like someone "FutureSex/LoveSounds" in a microwave and "Blurred Lines" is absolute shit. Since when did "played on pop radio" become synonymous with "good?"

Also, Timberlake was just the worst during this era. I think it was on the Ellen show where he tried to take credit for writing "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" -- said he saw the line in a book of her poetry or something and thought it would make a good song. Bitch didn't realize that the title had been floating around the internet since the Reinvention Tour. There's probably an acoustic demo of the track from 2004 too.

Thank God for Sticky. Crow vocals be damned, some of these tracks came alive on stage. "She's Not Me" is near the top of my list of songs where a weak album cut became a classic live perf.

Co-sign.

How does HC sound like more of her producers album than any of her other efforts? That "criticism" is so tired. How is HC Timbaland feat. Madonna any more than COADF is Stuart Price feat. Madonna or Music/AL Mirwais feat. Madonna or William Orbit feat. Madonna for ROL? The whole reason Madonna works with a specific producer(s) for any of her albums is so she can have their sound as the sonic focal point.

What has been done to her face since, her nasal -"cheek" folds (don't remember the correct word) are almost gone now compared to then?

And I really rhink she tried to save her marriage even very late in this period, she had been out late the night before S&S London celebrating Guys birthday.

I agree. Songs like Miles Aways, Devil Wouldn't..., She's Not Me.