What was wrong with "Hard Candy" anyway?!

mad4mad2

when the news surfaced that she was about to collaborate with Timbaland and Pharrell, the album was dismissed right away and all the COADF loons started the bashing campaign. HC was supposed to be a dead on arrival type of album just because she didn't catter to the euro-trash dance loving gays. In many ways HC has a lot more DISCO music influences than COADF ever had.

This right here! :clap:

I can distinctly remember the album being dismissed before we ever heard anything. Once we did hear it, people were saying she wasn't really into it, she was "forced" to go into that musical direction and that her legacy was ruined.....oh...and S&S was underperforming....lol. It was her most "jarring" reinvention since ROL era and it seems like a lot of fans considered this side of her to be immature and desperate since she was "supposed" to be a grown up, wise, mature Mother. Add to that fact that after 10 yrs of working with relatively unknown producers, she went for the most popular producer on radio at that time. This was just too much for our Indiedonna fans. :dramatic:.

Totally agree about your disco observation. To me, the actual sound of COADF was way too modern and electro to be considered disco. I understand that basically all modern dance music is rooted in disco in one way or another but HC has a lot of that classic, original disco/funk sound that COADF simply doesn't have. Had Madonnas debut album come out about 4-5 years earlier, it probably would've had a lot in common with the Pharrell tracks (+Dance 2night) on HC.

Because it seemed to be the first instance in which she began relying on featuring and the support of younger acts to propel her music. The only other feature she had done was for Britney's "In The Zone" record but nothing else was released as a single on her part. Suddenly, it seemed every first single needed someone to keep it afloat until "Living For Love" broke that streak.

There are amazing tracks such as Give It 2 Me, She's Not Me and countless others that make this a Madonna record. At times, the sudden and constant cameos of JT, Timbaland and Pharrell make Madonna sound like a passenger on her own record. The outtakes were also gorgeous; Across The Sky, Latte to name a few.

It's a departure from the electronica route she had been experimenting with since 1998 but she could have executed it better. The woman was in the beginning of a failed marriage, the promo was decent but unlike COADF, the tour was life but the album does sound a bit late to the game so to speak with JT/Timbaland. It felt like a copy of "Loose."

This forum was a nightmare back then with the Rayoflighter othersnorer mtripers running amok in here. The forum was very negative and the bitchfights were endless. I started that mnation twitter/fb as my own refuge and to be able to enjoy posting about Madonna with less annoying fans. It was fucking ridiculous even appreciation threads here turned into bitchfests complaining she's no longer great, lost it, should retire, etc. This was all going on before the album was even released! It then got worse and they were also hopping on the Gaga train. Thankfully it's a whole different world here nowadays and most of these dreadful people are gone!

This forum was a nightmare back then with the Rayoflighter othersnorer mtripers running amok in here. The forum was very negative and the bitchfights were endless. I started that mnation twitter/fb as my own refuge and to be able to enjoy posting about Madonna with less annoying fans. It was fucking ridiculous even appreciation threads here turned into bitchfests complaining she's no longer great, lost it, should retire, etc. This was all going on before the album was even released! It then got worse and they were also hopping on the Gaga train. Thankfully it's a whole different world here nowadays and most of these dreadful people are gone!

Funny this is the last post as I read this thread, because as I was reading through the comments I was recalling the same thing. How SO many people were negative as hell on here during this era bashing Madonna left and right.

I remember even watching her promo gig in NYC loving it, and then coming on here bummed out because everyone was ripping it to shreds. I was like, did we all watch the same show?

Awful negative time on this forum. And I still say this album wouldn't have gotten half the hate it received if we had no clue who the producers were.

I just maintain the only thing wrong is the sensational queen Shirley Sherri cover

I was incensed with people saying about her jumping trends and working with black producers

Excuse me? Did these late to te party people realise that many thought Everybody was by a black girl when it first came out and no one knew who she was?

And fuck me She's Not Me is one of the funkiest things going

Also her look on the promo shows. The track suit bottoms in heels. And those TITS hitched up like she was smuggling Two bald convicts up her too.

abfab.jpg

Who else?

Guest Rachelle of London

I remember this Britney Stan in here having a go at me because I said I liked Incredible. I logged off and didn't come back for 2 more years :lmao:

Still listen to HC all the time after all these years, but in my opinion it's just not as interesting or amazing as many of her previous albums. The music sounded somewhat dated by the time it was released, but it was still very good! Saw the tour twice, but I was too disappointed to fully enjoy it. Did love the polarizing concert DVD.

Hard candy was bland and lifeless which was the main problem. It wasn't all Madonna. The production sucked. Thin voice, wan instrumentation. The only great song was Give it 2 Me.

jt1ai0.gif

Guest Pud Whacker

Still listen to HC all the time after all these years, but in my opinion it's just not as interesting or amazing as many of her previous albums. The music sounded somewhat dated by the time it was released, but it was still very good! Saw the tour twice, but I was too disappointed to fully enjoy it. Did love the polarizing concert DVD.

Too disappointed to enjoy it?

What were you disappointed with?

Hard candy was bland and lifeless which was the main problem. It wasn't all Madonna. The production sucked. Thin voice, wan instrumentation. The only great song was Give it 2 Me.

You're the one with the problem

Why don't you just deal with it?

HANDLE IT

Guest Pud Whacker

I bet this none got 'caught up' in gag.

Guest Pud Whacker

:thumbsup:

People (fans)hated 4 minutes even tho it was a legit hit, they kept saying it wasn't "Madonna" sounding, I remember hearing that a lot. I still love it. Candy shop leaked 1 year before and it was trashed by fans and non fans a like. fast forward 7 years later she is still performing the song in 3 consecutive tours :lol:

4 Minutes is an all-American pop classic. The horns! The beats! Madonna! Justin! Timbaland!

In the grand scheme of things no one will remember or care that Timbaland was perhaps already past his sell-by date when she hooked up with him. He'll just be a name in the long list of producers / artists / people that were once upon a time associated with the one and the only, MADONNA. He should be privileged as I'm sure he is. And that's all there is to it really.

(However - I have the prerogative to maintain that Spanish Lesson remains one of the worst things she's ever recorded. Possibly the 2nd worst Madonna song of all time, just behind "B'Day Song".)

Haha - look it's just my opinion. I think a lot of the songs had potential, but they were ruined by awful awful production and sounded like they decided to just finish the song before they reached the pinnacle of what it could be.

DWRY could have been FUCKING AMAZING. Instead, it's just pretty good. Dance Tonight is a prime example of a song that just sounds utterly lifeless. The production on Voices ruins it, and Heartbeat is ruined by the crow vox.

Guest Pud Whacker

Haha - look it's just my opinion. I think a lot of the songs had potential, but they were ruined by awful awful production and sounded like they decided to just finish the song before they reached the pinnacle of what it could be.

DWRY could have been FUCKING AMAZING. Instead, it's just pretty good. Dance Tonight is a prime example of a song that just sounds utterly lifeless. The production on Voices ruins it, and Heartbeat is ruined by the crow vox.

Didn't address your gag fandom. So I'll assume I'm right again. :rotfl:

As quiet

As it is tonight

You almost think you were brave

Your eyes

Are full of surprises

They cannot predict my fate

"Devil" contains some of the best lyrics she's ever written and I still love the S&S performance. Yes she did capes before LFL! :wow:

Guest Pud Whacker

As quiet

As it is tonight

You almost think you were brave

Your eyes

Are full of surprises

They cannot predict my fate

"Devil" contains some of the best lyrics she's ever written and I still love the S&S performance. Yes she did capes before LFL! :wow:

:inlove:

Say which flavour you like

And I'll have it for you

C'mon on into my store

I got candy galore

Don't pretend you're not hungry

I've seen it before

I've got Turkish Delights, baby,

And so much more

Too disappointed to enjoy it?

What were you disappointed with?

Just many of the musical arrangements and it was nowhere as interesting or theatrical as some previous tours. From what watched online, the 2nd leg did look significantly better with changing a few songs on setlist.

Madonna's dancing was undeniably fantastic for the tour!

Thank goodness you flush those people. :thumbsup: