What was wrong with "Hard Candy" anyway?!

mad4mad2

I get the whole "came a bit late" after all the Timbaland and Justin stuff but then look at the 20/20 experience. And then Pharell with Robin Thicke etc so in a way she was a bit ahead of the curve. It was like a bit late to the party with things too early for everyone to appreciate

The "working late with a producer" thing was so biased, why didn't people say it for Bloodshy & Avant on COADF? Then Klas Ahlund, Jean-Baptiste & Jimmy Harry for MDNA? Not to mention, Diplo, Kanye, Avicii, Billboard, MoZella, S1 & Toby Gad on Rebel Heart? All of these people gave hits for other artists before Madonna used them...

Plus, she was returning to her funky side, which she has done before, and I think people didn't like that she wasn't stepping up to the plate by doing something new. Her fans just want electronic music and ballads. No hip hop beats. It's silly.

Guest Rocco Papa

After the disappointing (just my opinion) MDNA, I have grown to really like Hard Candy. To be honest, I always felt it was a great album, but it was very disappointing as the follow-up to Confessions. A masterpiece like that is very difficult to live up to!

The promo thing. Well the woman was going through a divorce and was doing two legs of the tour. What kind of promo did some fans want? She's not Joan of Arc (not yet). She has a personal life and was going through a tough time.

Also, it was her last studio album with Warner. So perhaps that influenced the "lack" of promo.

I also agree it sounded like the Madonna for the new generation. Funky and dancey all throughout. Even the ballads (Miles and Devil) were accompanied by beats that you can dance to.

And I highly disagree that the album was impersonal. I mean:

Candy Shop - how very Erotica of Madge

4 Minutes - lyrics is very American Life

Give It 2 Me, Heartbeat, Dance 2Night - lyrics are reminiscent of her early 80's songs and her empowering message/theme

Miles Away, She's Not Me, Incredible, Voices - Hello divorce

Spanish Lesson - The love child of Jimmy, Jimmy & La Isla Bonita

This is my favorite Madonna album of all time. I wish heartbeat had gotten a single release that track is amazing. Candy shop should have been called sticky and sweet and as much as I love beat goes on I prefer the demo version !! The one on the album should have been called the Remix. But I love every track even incredible.

The leaks hurt the process, Beat Goes On was beautiful as a demo.

The lack of promo, only a few magazines and interviews, the promo tour was fine.

The lack of image from her, she didn't use the boxer/fighter look.

Guest Pud Whacker

The "working late with a producer" thing was so biased, why didn't people say it for Bloodshy & Avant on COADF? Then Klas Ahlund, Jean-Baptiste & Jimmy Harry for MDNA? Not to mention, Diplo, Kanye, Avicii, Billboard, MoZella, S1 & Toby Gad on Rebel Heart? All of these people gave hits for other artists before Madonna used them...

To be fair, they do. That's why people say she follows trends now...

Don't flip crazy born agains. I'm a theologian.

Guest Pud Whacker

What's this lack of promo you guys are referring to?

M did loads of promo for HC

Heaps and it was marvelous. Roseland front row center was amazing!!! :headbang:

Love how beautiful she was in the Jo Wiley interview. That hair alone! Fab with Cynthia.

What's this lack of promo you guys are referring to?

M did loads of promo for HC

IKR. She did like 10 radio interviews, when has she ever done that before?

There was a lot of negativity when the album was released and I think that influenced my perception of "Hard Candy" a lot during that time, but I really, really like the album and in my opinion it's much better than MDNA.

Guest Pud Whacker

Madonna's fans are the worst. That's just a fact. They're fair weather. Since the beginning, In between projects they have gravitated towards and placed bets on Kylie, the beast, bjorkle, torn anus, lady forever ugly...

Guest Pud Whacker

There was a lot of negativity when the album was released and I think that influenced my perception of "Hard Candy" a lot during that time, but I really, really like the album and in my opinion it's much better than MDNA.

The negativity was she was working with black producers. I stand by this. Since 1996, when those ray of lighters emerged, they were used to aryan Madonna. David foster, Andrew Lloyd webber, William orbit, mirwais, Stuart price.

Remember the time, madonna fans were upset that radio was all R&B.

They will NEVER admit this.

Guest Rachelle of London

The negativity was she was working with black producers. I stand by this. Since 1996, when those ray of lighters emerged, they were used to aryan Madonna. David foster, Andrew Lloyd webber, William orbit, mirwais, Stuart price.

Remember the time, madonna fans were upset that radio was all R&B.

I remember arguing with a fan on another board back then. He was saying Madonna only jumped on the bandwagon of "black producers" because of Nelly Furtados success so I schooled him good and proper about the amount of black musicians Madonna has worked with since the 70s. He didn't even know Nile Rodgers was black :lmao:

Guest Rachelle of London

IKR. She did like 10 radio interviews, when has she ever done that before?

She was even on BET. Who would've thought they'd see Madonna on 106 & Park :lmao:

HC is by far M's most generic album. Her lack of interest in recording it is evident on every phoned in note, her chronic lack of enthusiasm apparent in every effort she made to promote the release.

She had nothing fresh or creative to say, sonically or visually, at the time. The songs are professionally crafted but thoroughly paint by numbers, and the videos and her looks and visual themes a far cry from the wild creativity of COADF – and, to think of it, all her previous albums.

It's not her worst work – the hooks are smart and the flow is pleasantly cohesive – but it marks the first time she ran out of creative juices, and appeared oddly distanced from her own musical vision; I believe this was because the vision was that of her collaborators rather than hers, resulting in an album that is a fulfillment of contractual obligation rather than a piece of artistic expression.

Guest Pud Whacker

I remember arguing with a fan on another board back then. He was saying Madonna only jumped on the bandwagon of "black producers" because of Nelly Furtados success so I schooled him good and proper about the amount of black musicians Madonna has worked with since the 70s. He didn't even know Nile Rodgers was black :lmao:

:lol:

Not to mention Stephen Bray her first producer! And Reggie Lucas from the first album!!!

Guest Pud Whacker

HC is by far M's most generic album. Her lack of interest in recording it is evident on every phoned in note, her chronic lack of enthusiasm apparent in every effort she made to promote the release.

She had nothing fresh or creative to say, sonically or visually, at the time. The songs are professionally crafted but thoroughly paint by numbers, and the videos and her looks and visual themes a far cry from the wild creativity of COADF and, to think of, all her previous albums.

It's not her worst work the hooks are smart and the flow is pleasantly cohesive but it marks the first time she ran out of creative juices, and appeared oddly distanced from her own musical vision.

Ridiculous.

Give It 2 Me is an amazing sonic boom! One if her best! She's Not Me is BEYOND FABULOUS! The fade in and out.

I'm sorry ziggy I have to complete disregard your post.

Incredible. Spanish Lesson. These beats are fresh and timeless.

Guest Rachelle of London

Totally!

That hair! That dress! That make up! The GLAMOUR of it all! EVERYTHING!!!

HC promo makeup is my fave Madonna make up look. The BBC interviews with Jo Whiley her face is literally perfection.

Guest Pud Whacker

HC promo makeup is my fave Madonna make up look. The BBC interviews with Jo Whiley her face is literally perfection.

I'm completely obsessed with that interview. That silver/white dress. THAT HAIR and MAKE UP!

She's really poised and cool. I love everything about it!