Desperately seeking Madonna fans from 1985 Portland show

rebelvvv

http://www.oregonlive.com/history/2015/09/seeking_portland_madonna_fans.html

In April 1985, Madonna played a pair of sold-out shows at Portland's Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall.

Were you there?

As the "Rebel Heart" tour's Oct. 17 stop at the Moda Center approaches, we're desperately seeking Portland area residents who were at Madonna's first Portland shows 30 years ago.

We'd especially love to talk to Danette Dollar, Bart Allen, Kimberly Meade, Michele Uanno, Liz Ephren, Linda George and April Simmons. The Oregonian's coverage of the concerts included photos of those seven MTV generation teens dressed in "Catholic a go-go," like their "favorite video performer," as the newspaper described it.

Look at the photos above. Do you recognize yourself from 1985? Are you out there? I'd love to talk to you?

Are you still Madonna fans? Do you call her Madge or the Material Girl? What do you remember about the shows? Do you still have the outfits you wore? What was she like before the Kabbalah yarn, the chest cones, the foray into children's books and the fake British accent?

I have so many questions.

Of course, based on the breathless-yet-stuffy coverage by The Oregonian, you would have thought the pope was coming to town.

From stories about teens upset about how tickets were sold to the concerts' aftermath, the newspaper dedicated 13 stories with photos to the event in less than a month.

Of course, much of the coverage was awash in skepticism, with reporters trying to figure out why children of the 1980s were so obsessed with the Material Girl.

"Hordes of Portland-area fans of rock singer Madonna, the latest overnight superstar in that volatile calling, are miffed in the extreme," wrote reporter John Painter Jr. "They came to that state when tickets to the steamy, overtly sexual singer's two Portland concerts set for April 15-16 in the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall were quietly put on sale last Friday and quickly sold out."

Were you at those shows? I'd like to write about your first encounter with "M" in Portland. Here's my contact info:

— Joseph Rose
503-221-8029
jrose@oregonian.com

I think a lot of those fans have moved on. The few still remaining are very rare and valuable. I only know some like Pud Whacker, Suedehead, Carta, Blue Jean and Chellagasm that went to the Virgin Tour.

are you sure ALL of them attended the VT?

I think a lot of those fans have moved on. The few still remaining are very rare and valuable. I only know some like Pud Whacker, Suedehead, Carta, Blue Jean and Chellagasm that went to the Virgin Tour.

:lmao:

I think a lot of those fans have moved on. The few still remaining are very rare and valuable. I only know of Pud Whacker, Suedehead, Carta, Blue Jean and Chellagasm that went to the Virgin Tour.

ldv2i.gif

I think a lot of those fans have moved on. The few still remaining are very rare and valuable. I only know of Pud Whacker, Suedehead, Carta, Blue Jean and Chellagasm that went to the Virgin Tour.

I wish I'd been to the Virgin Tour...!!! I was absolutely a fan back then, but she didn't come to Australia and as a 12 year old, I wasn't in a position to fly to the US to see her :). Blue Jean didn't see it, either (I'm not even sure he was born then...!) and Chelle definitely wasn't born until the 90s, so that just leaves Suedehead from your list (and Pudwhacker was there, too, I'm sure). I think there are at least 20-30 of us on here who were fans back then, though...

I like the way everyone just assumed that I'm old enough to have travelled to the US from Australia to see the Virgin Tour 30 years ago :p My parents wouldn't even take me to see Culture Club an hour away in 1984! :p

I like the way everyone just assumed that I'm old enough to have travelled to the US from Australia to see the Virgin Tour 30 years ago :p My parents wouldn't even take me to see Culture Club an hour away in 1984! :p

:lol: Would have been a great tour to fly to. You would have had junior airfares too so cheaper. This thread is priceless.

:lol: Would have been a great tour to fly to. You would have had junior airfares too so cheaper. This thread is priceless.

Sadly, I was 12, so no junior airfares for me (11 is the cutoff for child airfares...although maybe it was 12 back then...!) ;)

BahahahhaahgahahhaaavahahaHahgahaaa oh dear.. I remember you, Chellagasm and the rest on my list saying you went to every single tour since Virgin Tour.

Either we're all lying now, we were all pulling your leg back then or you're thinking of the Madonnanotion forum, where you'll find Corta, Chellegosm and Blue Joan, all of whom went to the Vorgin Tour ;)

this is interesting.

in ny msg, ariana grande's mother was such a big stan for madonna and has been that way more than 30 years.

she went to madonna's virgin tour in msg, and remembered it.

and then on this tour, she got to grab madonna's hand in front of her kids and broke down.

she totally got exited and sentimental on her instagram.

madonna was also into meeting her old fans.

this could be a nostalgic trend.

now we see this article.

i think it's wonderful for madonna to acknowledge her oldest fans throughout the years.

they've been with her through thick and thin.

they deserve her love and embrace.

i've been a die-hard fan of hers since 1986 too.

this gets really touching and special.

Not sure what this is for. An article? I was at the Virgin tour in Portland.

I was 14. It's been 30 years - fuck if I remember anything. I actually do remember a little.

Still have my outfit too.

I'll contact you with the best my memory serves.

I must warn you, I'm a rival as I used to work for the Willamette Week. :lol: