Rebel Heart Vs. MDNA

Guest bluejean

I love Rebel Heart but I just wanna say how great MDNA is, throwaway tracks or not. To me the album is the sound of a woman rediscovering and reclaiming herself both musically and personally. She wanted to find herself again after a brutal divorce and wanted to have fun and forget about it and maybe revert back to who she was before she met G-y. Perhaps songs like Superstar and Girl Gone Wild were so immature (read: amazing) because she felt like putting on an almost exaggerated sense of bravado, like everything was fine and she was hotter than ever. But then there are songs like Falling Free, Gang Bang and Love Spent that reveal how she's really feeling underneath it all.

Anyways this is so badly written but MDNA revealed more about herself than she had intended (which rarely happens in her music, if ever) and is one of her most personal, honest records. Both MDNA and Rebel Heart to me sounded like she went into the studio solely motivated by expression, and whatever music came out was what we ended up with, whereas I've often felt that she went into the studio knowing the kind of album/statement she wanted to create. Both albums seem to paint a pretty complete picture of her, rather than a fragment like on American Life or Bedtime Stories or whatever

I love Rebel Heart but I just wanna say how great MDNA is, throwaway tracks or not. To me the album is the sound of a woman rediscovering and reclaiming herself both musically and personally. She wanted to find herself again after a brutal divorce and wanted to have fun and forget about it and maybe revert back to who she was before she met G-y. Perhaps songs like Superstar and Girl Gone Wild were so immature (read: amazing) because she felt like putting on an almost exaggerated sense of bravado, like everything was fine and she was hotter than ever. But then there are songs like Falling Free, Gang Bang and Love Spent that reveal how she's really feeling underneath it all.

Anyways this is so badly written but MDNA revealed more about herself than she had intended (which rarely happens in her music, if ever) and is one of her most personal, honest records. Both MDNA and Rebel Heart to me sounded like she went into the studio solely motivated by expression, and whatever music came out was what we ended up with, whereas I've often felt that she went into the studio knowing the kind of album/statement she wanted to create. Both albums seem to paint a pretty complete picture of her, rather than a fragment like on American Life or Bedtime Stories or whatever

this so much!

For me MDNA had higher highs and lower lows. Rebel Heart is fairly steady for me. Like there's no song that gave me chills the way Gang Bang and Falling Free did. It's consistent. MDNA is half great half throwaway.

Thank you!

It's popular to beat up on MDNA. I have a big connection to that album and era.

The opening of the album MDNA was perfect "girls they just wanna have some fun" so I dont know about those who were surprised it was a very dancey record.

The only weak songs are Some Girls :lmao: (sorry Crystal) and Overrated Killer. The rest are fantastic.

The opening of the album MDNA was perfect "girls they just wanna have some fun" so I dont know about those who were surprised it was a very dancey record.

The only weak songs are Some Girls :lmao: (sorry Crystal) and Overrated Killer. The rest are fantastic.

SHUT THE FUCK UP :censored:

Beautiful Killer is the best song on MDNA bye

I love MDNA as an album. She wanted to do a dance record and she did. Even if Everybody hates SUPERSTAR which is a really cool song,

For me, RH shines in its best tracks not as an entire album. I know it's the craziness of the Rebel and the Heart sides but I listening to the entire album sometimes tire me out. :chuckle: I guess i overplayed the 25 songs.

But yes back to MDNA. It's a journey from start to finish. I cannot relate to the dislike of this album. If all singles were hits, people would be singing a different tune.

This is a bullshit argument that everyone who's in love with less-successful album makes and it needs to stop. Seriously, just stop acting like people who disagree with you on the merits of one album are doing it for shallow reasons or that you are somehow more sophisticated for liking it. Just accept that some people -- maybe even large numbers of them -- don't like it.

Look around this forum. There was a recent "rank the albums" thread where "Like a Virgin" -- one of the biggest albums of her career -- consistently ranked in the bottom third. Meanwhile, "Erotica" -- considered a flop in its time -- consistently ranked in the top half, and "Rebel Heart" -- objectively her least successful album commercially, failing to provide even one top ten hit -- consistently ranked towards the top of people's lists.

Give other fans some credit.

This is a bullshit argument that everyone who's in love with less-successful album makes and it needs to stop. Seriously, just stop acting like people who disagree with you on the merits of one album are doing it for shallow reasons or that you are somehow more sophisticated for liking it. Just accept that some people -- maybe even large numbers of them -- don't like it.

Look around this forum. There was a recent "rank the albums" thread where "Like a Virgin" -- one of the biggest albums of her career -- consistently ranked in the bottom third. Meanwhile, "Erotica" -- considered a flop in its time -- consistently ranked in the top half, and "Rebel Heart" -- objectively her least successful album commercially, failing to provide even one top ten hit -- consistently ranked towards the top of people's lists.

Give other fans some credit.

excuse me?

I never acted like im more sophisticated than others just because I liked MDNA. I never said people who hate MDNA are shallow. Don't put words into my mouth.

I like Jimmy Jimmy, Superstar, American Life, and I'm Going Bananas. I don't go around bashing people who dislike them. When i say Some Girls or Overrated Killer are weak songs, it's always with jest and not with a personal vendetta against people who love them. You don't have to point me to that rank the album thread because I went there and put Like a Virgin in the bottom three too.

Like a Virgin was released during Madonna's golden years. MDNA during a tough time and a different landscape in the music industry. So perhaps I wrongly chose a word and shouldve wrote "people might be singing a different tune" but to say I have something against people who hate or dislike MDNA is preposterous. I have no problem with people liking whatever song or album they want and was just simply expressing my opinion. I didn't even say anything bad about RH when stating why I prefer MDNA over it.

Ooh la la.

MDNA apparently also ended up with her vocals pitch higher... did you guys ever discuss that here? I downloaded from someone a while ago a pitch corrected version... I don't even know if her vocals were truly pitched higher, do you guys think they were? They are awfully high, haha. I definitely like TUTR lower (the version I have of "Love Spent" as well - even when she did it live, she had to sing the damn thing lower, haha). Here is a video showing examples (again, you guys may have discussed this).

It's definitely one of the cons with MDNA IMO. Her vocals sound more natural on RH. Both albums have mixing issues though.

MDNA apparently also ended up with her vocals pitch higher... did you guys ever discuss that here? I downloaded from someone a while ago a pitch corrected version... I don't even know if her vocals were truly pitched higher, do you guys think they were? They are awfully high, haha. I definitely like TUTR lower (the version I have of "Love Spent" as well - even when she did it live, she had to sing the damn thing lower, haha). Here is a video showing examples (again, you guys may have discussed this).

It's definitely one of the cons with MDNA IMO. Her vocals sound more natural on RH. Both albums have mixing issues though.

Demo Castellon. He's the mixer and the sound engineer who recorded Madonna's voice on MDNA and Rebel Heart (with the awful treatments on both Living for love, making it sound metallic and distant and on ghosttown with that horrible vocoded correction on bre-aaaak that ruins the song.

I feel like this could perfectly be applied to HC and COAD too.The album version of her voice on Let It Will Be,Candy Shop,Heartbeat,Hung Up sounded OK but when you hear her sing them live,you appreciate it more on new level with her real voice(esp on Candy Shop,Let It Will Be,and Beat Goes On)

I can't even remember the last time I played the album version of CS,certain songs always sounds better from her LIVE voice

Guest Rachelle of London

It was even used for a Bravo commercial!Bless Andy Cohen for making that happen

She's even sampled it in Ironic. Superstar is a classic!!!

RH is my no.1 Madonna album. It dethroned ROL.

MDNA as a concept I wouldnt compare it to RH, more to COAD, and I prefer COAD.

MDNA has some good songs, but its more average.

My fav is Beautiful Killer and I fucked up.

Great songs from MDNA: Turn Up The Radio, I Don't Give A, Beautiful Killer, Superstar (great production), Falling Free and B-Day Song.

To me it felt like an album of inconsistent-great songs with no theme or real connection to the album.

Rebel Heart is perfection from start to finish.