Burning Up - discussion thread

Msig

I've loved "Burning Up" since I heard it for the first time. But there are so many different versions. Which do you consider the definitive version of the song?

12" version (6:00)

The original 12" version, which was also included as a bonus track on the 2001 remaster of the Madonna album.

7" version aka video version aka CD album version (3:41)

This is the version included on all CD pressings of the Madonna album and the 1985 European reissue titled The First Album, and vinyl reissues of the former. This is also the version featured in the 7" single, the music video and Celebration.

Vinyl/cassette album version (4:48)

This is the version included on the original vinyl and cassette pressings of the Madonna album and The First Album. It also served as the European B-side of "Angel".

The "real" version will always be the one from the First Album european reediton for me since it's the one i first heard and grew up with. Yet i like the video version best. I don't like the 12", i think it's flat and dated BUT the japanese edit made it punchier.

The demos are incredible too. The one on PreMadonna and the Emmy rehearsals ones that leaked years ago.

It's such a good song and her oldest one (since it's an Emmy era one)

I know it can't be a proper "definitive" version (even less so when it wasn't officially released), but I LOVED Burning Up live on the Re-Invention Tour, questionable hair style and outfit notwithstanding :inlove:

My favourite song on the first album and her best film clip of that era it was a sign of the greatness that was to follow.

This was a sizable hit in Australia :thumbsup: It was her first single here, but didn't become a hit until after the success of "Holiday". It's a great song!

Incidentally, how cool is it that we have the original version of the song, thanks to Steve Bray? :)

CD album version is by far the one that I've played the most since I had the CD first, but I like the cassette / vinyl version better.

7" version aka video version aka CD album version (3:41)

This is the version included on all CD pressings of the Madonna album and the 1985 European reissue titled The First Album, and vinyl reissues of the former. This is also the version featured in the 7" single, the music video and Celebration.

3:41? Mine runs 3:46 -- and iTunes store says it runs 3:45. I never pay attention to things like this -- are discrepancies of this sort common?

After reading this thread I wanted to see if I own the Long "demo" version, so I dug up my 2 vinyl copies to see if I have the longer demo version, but I don't. I bought my first copy from RCA music service around May 1984,(I also got WHAM - Make It Big..LOL) and I still have it, the label lists the 7" version and indeed that is whats on there. Interestingly enough my other copy is a Columbia House copy from around the same time, and it lists the longer 4:48 running time on the record, but it is actually the short 7' version, so its a misprint on the running time. I dug up a couple of cassettes, which never had running times back then, and still no dice. Now I'm on the hunt. My guess is the first run with the "no guitar" version must of only been about 25,000 copies, or 1% of the first year sales of the album. Possibly hard to find these days..

it's got to be the Cassette/Vinyl version by Jellybean.

I was so happy when the instrumental of that version leaked in digital WAV thinking that the vocal one would soon follow; sadly not. It would be great to get this mix in pure digital, something of the echoey flange synth sounds gets lost when ripping from cassette or vinyl.