Boston September 26

jonluvsmaddy

yea but a lot of people in the arena aren't big fans who may not know that she always gives fans a banana. you know haters (media) lose context when they can give her shit

jazzy, we're not worrying.

More importantly, are those bananas local and organic? You know those hipster gays will be out for her if they aren't!

My review after taking last night / this morning to decompress:

Highlights:

• "True Blue" - I was too overwhelmed to cry last night, but watching it again this morning -- oof, tears in my eyes. So sweet, so simple, but still so powerful. Instant classic.
  • "Deeper and Deeper" - One of my all-time favorite Madonna songs. Seeing it live in 2004 was amazing, but I wanted -- nay, needed -- to see and hear a proper dance performance of this song before I died.

The Periscopes / YouTubes of this performance look good (maybe even great), but they absolutely pale in comparison to the spectacle of the live performance of this number. The mix is fierce. The dancing was incredible. The energy coming off the Queen and the crowd last night was simply overwhelming. Immediately one of my all-time favorite Madonna moments.
  • "Heartbreak City" / "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" - :dramatic::dramatic:

I was not expecting this to be a showstopper. I was just unprepared for the sheer perfection that is this performance.

I know the forum is full of comments on how strong her voice is this tour, but what shook me here is not just how powerful he voice is -- it's how emotive she is this tour. The emotion is real. And during this performance, it's raw. She feels this performance -- and she make you feel it too.

And the push? No one expected it. People around me gasped -- a few squealed in terror. Instant classic. Simply one of her all-time best.
  • "Like a Virgin" - "YASSSS, MADONNA, YASSSSSSSS" - me, throughout this entire performance

Good LORD in heaven, I love this mix. I have been listening to the fan mix of it non-stop since Montreal and the live performance is even better. They hit this song so hard and the Queen is having so much fun. I could watch her dance to this for hours.
  • "Living for Love" - Good God. I fucking LOVE this song. I fucking LOVE this mix. I can't believe radio hasn't been playing this song non-stop for the past 10 months.

This performance has been perfected. It's fucking incredible. I was screaming my head off like a goddamn loon.
  • "Who's that Girl" -The acoustic reinvention -- Incredible. Performing it right in front of me on the heart stage -- Overwhelming. Hearing an arena full of fans sing along to a song that often seem forgotten -- Perfection. Another instant classic.
  • "Illuminati" - I don't know how this looked from the loge or balcony seats, but good God -- this was a breathtaking spectacle on the floor. People around me literally gasped.

You could hear people on the floor muttering to themselves "Oh no" or "Oh my God" as the dancers climbed the poles and strapped themselves in -- The tension from the people around me was palpable. Then people were just screaming when the dancers started reaching towards the floor. The place went wild when they lifted the dancer off the runway and dropped her off on the heart stage.

This was just gorgeous. Best interlude since "Paradise" / Drowned World Tour

Pleasant surprises:

• "Bitch I'm Madonna" - I did not particularly care for this song when it came out, but maybe it's grown on me over time or maybe this is one of those tracks that just comes alive when done live -- either way, Lordy this is helluva of a follow-up to the opener.
  • "Burning Up" - The Periscopes / YouTubes make this look like a rehash of Reinvention, but it's much better. A big part of that is because the Queen is simply a much better guitar player now than she was in 2004, so her energy level is much higher here -- and it shows. The crowd just feeds of her energy here. I didn't expect it to -- but it works.
  • "Messiah" - The Periscopes / YouTube do NOT capture the brilliance of this at all. I thought this looked a bit dull on video, but it's simply gorgeous.
  • "La Isla Bonita" - I absolutely love "LIB" -- I love the album version, I love the video, I love the extended mix, I love every live rendition of it -- but even I will admit that it has been done on tour perhaps too many times. But RHT made me reconsider that.

Drowned World remains the definitive performance of this song, but RHT may be the best up-tempo rendition of it to date -- better than Confessions or Sticky.
  • "SEX" - Another instance where the Periscopes / YouTube do NOT do a performance justice. I thought this looked terribly lame on video, but this is a dark and very sexy interlude when you see it live. The (casual fan) friend who came with me absolutely loved it.
  • "Holiday" - The videos have made the encore look a little bloodless, to be honest, but this is a wonderful party performance and the crowd was very much into it. Great send-off.

Letdowns:

• I was not the unapologetic bitch last night.
  • The show is not six hours long.
  • She is only doing one show in Boston.

Other thoughts:

• "Music" - This was a great performance and I loved it ... but the torch song reinvention is so good that I was slightly let down that the whole song wasn't performed that way.

Final thoughts: This is all very fresh, so maybe my mind will change in the months and years ahead, but right now I'd say --

This is the best tour since the Drowned World Tour.

Drowned World, Blond Ambition, and the Girlie Show have always been the holy trinity of Madonna tours in my mind. I think RHT rivals the Girlie Show for my #3 favorite tour ever.

I'm a little worried about the deadly brazilian wandering spiders who loves hiking (and hatching) with bananas tbh :scared:

Ugh get out of here with that disgusting piece of information that will haunt me for the rest of my life! :scared:

Letdowns:

• The show is not six hours long.
  • She is only doing one show in Boston.

Great review! LOL this is so true.

Fabulous review material_boy! My show is coming up this Thursday and I cannot WAIT.

That will be a great show! This month has gone by so quickly.

Guest Rachelle of London

What was mousegate? :lol:

Sorry ratgate. When she had a "rat" in her bathroom and it turned out to be the shadow of the paper she was flinging. :lmao:

That thread should've been pinned

We all know this, but there is no one like her and probably won't be again. The secret to her success is that she really does it all, and does it well: singing, dancing, theatricality, storytelling, humanitarianism.

The Boston crowd was AMAZING. We can't forget that Madonna has never played in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont, so a lot of us from these states were adding our screams of euphoria to what was nothing short of a spectacular audience.

When the soldiers pop up in the intro, maybe it's because I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire, but seriously: shivers up and down my spine. People keep saying they love the intro but it's not her best. I'm thinking for me it is her best.

Choreography in the whole first section, especially Iconic, is off the charts amazing. The woman hangs upside down from swords (?), and is carried off by soldier dancers. Nobody else can do this.

Holy Water blew me away. It's always been a favorite of mine, but there are no words. Complete artistic vision on display here, and genuine feminist groundbreaking in my opinion.

The thing about True Blue and Who's That Girl is that they are sometimes viewed as "forgotten" songs but they are anything but. Hearing the entire arena sing along shows you the power of her catalog, the amazing history that fans share with her going back to the iconic era of the 80s. The "no more sadness I kiss it goodbye" lyric brought me to tears. Her vocals on WTG are some of her all time best live vocals, and the mystery and melancholy that were always bubbling underneath the poppy melody are exquisitely revealed.

Body Shop was absolutely sung live.

Rebel Heart is a classic and everyone knew the words in my section.

Vocals on Heartbreak City are AMAZING. I don't find it surprising that the crowd erupts for LDLHA. No it wasn't a single but it was a side closer on one of THE albums of the 80s. Everyone knows that whole album.

People went crazy for Deeper and Deeper. The loon next to me (loved her!) was screaming to her friends: "People hated her in 1992 but this was top ten, FUCKING TOP TEN HIT HERE!" :laugh:

The revelation for me is the last section. Obviously I love Material Girl for its iconic 80s status, but again, the durable melody of this song is revealed in all its glory, with more SPOT ON vocals from the Queen.

We all know this, but there is no one like her and probably won't be again. The secret to her success is that she really does it all, and does it well: singing, dancing, theatricality, storytelling, humanitarianism.

The Boston crowd was AMAZING. We can't forget that Madonna has never played in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont, so a lot of us from these states were adding our screams of euphoria to what was nothing short of a spectacular audience.

When the soldiers pop up in the intro, maybe it's because I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire, but seriously: shivers up and down my spine. People keep saying they love the intro but it's not her best. I'm thinking for me it is her best.

Choreography in the whole first section, especially Iconic, is off the charts amazing. The woman hangs upside down from swords (?), and is carried off by soldier dancers. Nobody else can do this.

Holy Water blew me away. It's always been a favorite of mine, but there are no words. Complete artistic vision on display here, and genuine feminist groundbreaking in my opinion.

The thing about True Blue and Who's That Girl is that they are sometimes viewed as "forgotten" songs but they are anything but. Hearing the entire arena sing along shows you the power of her catalog, the amazing history that fans share with her going back to the iconic era of the 80s. The "no more sadness I kiss it goodbye" lyric brought me to tears. Her vocals on WTG are some of her all time best live vocals, and the mystery and melancholy that were always bubbling underneath the poppy melody are exquisitely revealed.

Body Shop was absolutely sung live.

Rebel Heart is a classic and everyone knew the words in my section.

Vocals on Heartbreak City are AMAZING. I don't find it surprising that the crowd erupts for LDLHA. No it wasn't a single but it was a side closer on one of THE albums of the 80s. Everyone knows that whole album.

People went crazy for Deeper and Deeper. The loon next to me (loved her!) was screaming to her friends: "People hated her in 1992 but this was top ten, FUCKING TOP TEN HIT HERE!" :laugh:

The revelation for me is the last section. Obviously I love Material Girl for its iconic 80s status, but again, the durable melody of this song is revealed in all its glory, with more SPOT ON vocals from the Queen.

Fabulous review SomeofShane, so happy you loved it so much.

Here is doing his Dancing! So into it! https://instagram.com/p/8IBCe4HcRl/

WOW . He is adorable. She saved his life and now she must be so proud of him and of all her kids in fact .

Let me say I'm sorry in advance if I disclose something already stated!

I am from Boston.

The time I had last night was incredible!

I deliberately didn't read anything before hand because I wanted to be surprised!

And delightfully surprised I was.

From what I call the 'Last Supper' coupled with the Showgun Japanese costume first act,

which she sang 'True Blue' I nearly pissed in my pants.

Never imagined that song would ever appear on a set list.

The Boston crowd went nuts! As we always do! We always show big Love!

Then onto the Latin themed 'Dress You Up' following 'La Isla Bonita' that worked wonderfully.

Another gem didn't think she would sing again.

I had excellent seats.

The second row of what's called Lodge which is basically a step above the floor seats.

I can clearly see everyone on the floor and a clear view of the rebel heart sword stage at the end.

Now, normally I'm on the floor this time I decided to be in the Lodge out of curiosity.

Silly me I could have been along side the stage and possibly shook hands.

But,oh well I still had great seats and a wonderfully view and I could see her clearly.

I'm just a step up and looking down at the floor seated folks and looking clear out the stage.

Although, I did think it was odd that she played select songs(Messiah,S.E.X. I think it was) and had the dancers performed choreographed routine to the track while she's changing.

Normally there is a great video interlude and/or original music specially created for the show,

which the dancers would perform. Another oddity the inclusion of 'Candy Shop' & a bizarre french intro to

'Music' thankfully it launches into the original version. I don't think a 'Music' rearrangement would work.

Not bad just odd,delightfully.

Another great highlight when she incorporated 'Love Doesn't Live Hear Anymore' with 'Heartbreak City'

which she performs on the steps. Wonderful vocal performance. Yes,she was singing. And she did

vocal acrobats to showcase she was singing! Oh My God!!

Could anyone imagine hear performing that oldie? No!

She,said she wanted to surprise everyone. Well she did with a fabulous setlist to boot.

The imagery is always wonderful and the bendable poles with the dancers atop

will blow your mind!! Now coupled with,like i said before

one of the best setlist of all her tours.

From,the resurfacing of another gem 'Who's that Girl' albeit guitar driven.

To the return of both 'Material Girl' during that dazzling Art Deco last act and the 'Holiday' Encore.

The Rebel Heart Tour, I bet the fans will rank as one of her best!

I know I do!

Let’s face it…one day…we’ll run out of oil! And without oil, we won’t have electricity…but I’ll still be here. Come to my backyard, I’ll be sitting there with my guitar playing my music…I’ll be there for you…because that’s what it’ll about right? The music!
Madonna going out of her mind last night before playing who’s that girl
:blush: