Madonna in Dangerous Game aka Snake Eyes Appreciation!

XXL

By the way, Abel Floprrara is a piece of crap director, a Nick Cassavetes wannabe whose entire filmography is UTTER CRAP that no one has seen

lol Madonna is the one that has called Ferrara an "underground genius," watched all the films and gone on about his brilliant "European" style techniques in interviews. I support that. Along with the movie she has acknowledged actually being good in.

Probably because she finally worked with the only director who didn't hesitate to put her in her place, someone with way more nerve to spare than even herself. 100% wedded to the art of cinema. Uncompromising. Whatever their differences at the time she has to respect the hell out of that attitude.

Spread the love !!! Let's finally make it a cult classic ! :)

Dangerous Game to be released on BD in October

BY MADONNATRIBE · AUGUST 28, 2015

Another Madonna movie will be available in Blu Ray format when Olive Films will be releasing Dangerous Game on October 27, 2015.

The controversial 1993 movie directed by Abel Ferrara and starring Harvey Keitel, Madonna and James Russo will be released on a Region A single disc, MPEG-4 AVC, 1080p.

dangerous_gam_bd.jpg

she bad mouthed it because he used footage of her talking about something personal which he filmed and he put it in the movie without her knowledge. thats what i heard anyway. i think its the improv scene.

I haven't seen the film yet but I have seen the following clip where she talked about being raped:

There was one interview (I think) where Madonna makes the "shit movie....but I'm good in it" comment but that was years later. Harvey Keitel didn't even attend the premier and also totally distanced himself from the final product but of course no one remembers that with quite the same degree of outrage. :D

I remember when this film was being filmed, the Daily News called it "Snake Eyes", and the article said they were going to shave her hair off. I was upset when I read that lol. I didn't think it was necessary for them to actually cut her hair in that scene (use a wig or something!) , because it was a nice length at the time....but then she did eventually chop it off for the Girlie Show.

i know this movie was so hard to find in my country in europe.. i remember looking for it whenever i was in a VHS/video store and no one had it.. i think they released it in a few countries but not ww. i watched it again because of this topic and its a better movie then i remember.. madonna is so good in some scenes. i love how she goes from being her "madonna the actress" self to really doing a good job when the "director" makes her angry and wants to bring it out of her

when she laughs about heavy flows and tampons lmao

I haven't seen the film yet but I have seen the following clip where she talked about being raped:

yes i think thats the one :)

when she laughs about heavy flows and tampons lmao

Amazing scenes and a great mix of passive vulnerability and poised physicality.You can tell she is totally winging it with the bs answer.

.Like Ferrara said “It begins with trust. The script is an improvisation, rehearsals are an improvisation, and then you get out there ... Whatever’s gonna happen, is gonna happen there, and then, you just hope all the planets line up.” :)

True, although compared with most of her movie styles that film noir vibe of illuminating only the eyes and brows to get a dramatic look is totally on.

I like these:

2108267twfuS4tPPG706OcVbNpW1pZ5p_Vno74ZQ

Madonna_Dangerous_Game_-1993-.jpg

The best is that black tie photo of her and Abel in the OP but I'm thinking that would have been from '95. At the Gotham Awards, before the big brouhaha. :D

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/gossip/mad-madonna-world-director-ferrara-article-1.702172

" Well, Tuesday night at Roseland, amid a black-tie crowd that included Ted Turner, Jane Fonda, Glenn Close, Christopher Walken, F. Murray Abraham, Annabella Sciorra, Jonathan Demme and Michael Moore, we could see Madonna having an animated chat with Ferrara, who was there to pick up the Gotham Filmmaker Award. Madonna was scowling. Ferrara was waving his arms like a lobster facing a boiling pot. Finally, she turned on her heel and stormed off. We asked Ferrara, "What was that all about?

" "She's all upset," said the raspy, craggy-faced director. "What can I say? I can't resist a good gag line. But I didn't mean it the way it came out. You can see how I feel in every frame of that movie.

" Then he instructed us: "Go tell her that.

Lol@ this 2014 interview with Ferrara. He's nothing if not refreshingly honest, doesn't bs anyone. And so glad to see credit is being given where credit is due. Even 21 years later.

http://www.film.com/movies/abel-ferrara-interview-welcome-to-new-york-pasolini

Okay, well, I’m going to read you a quote from a critic I like named Ignatiy Vishnevetsky. It’s about your movies, specifically “Dangerous Game”. And you tell me what you think.

Well, okay, God, how much do I get if I get the right answer?

There’s no right answer.

Alright alright, let’s do it.

“In the beginning, Ferrara thought that he could prove that exploitation could be ‘art’, or at least arty, but then he realized that art itself was exploitation.”

[Long silence]

Well?

Yeah, yeah, that’s such a cool statement — I don’t get it but I think it’s great. I think it’s terrific, yeah. Wait did I say that or did this guy say that?

Yeah this guy said that about your work.

Yeah okay great, I’m glad he said, I don’t know. Let me think about that for a couple of weeks. I’m glad he said that, I’m glad I inspired a statement like that. Or maybe I didn’t, maybe Madonna inspired that.

Madonna is pretty great in that movie, but there’s a lot of you in that performance obviously.

There’s a bit of me, yeah, I got paid enough.

So Dangerous game is the reason why she has short hair in Girlie?

The article in the Daily News said she was going to shave it, but we see that didn't happen. Her hair did get cut in that scene, but it wasn't cut all off. The promos for the Girlie Show, where she has the really short bangs, but still a little length above the shoulders was because of Dangerous Game. She did say in an interview she cut it all off for the Girlie Show, because she wanted to be more androgynous, she was even going to have it black. I still think the length in DG was better, but we know the statements she likes to make.

• 2 weeks later...

The article in the Daily News said she was going to shave it, but we see that didn't happen. Her hair did get cut in that scene, but it wasn't cut all off. The promos for the Girlie Show, where she has the really short bangs, but still a little length above the shoulders was because of Dangerous Game. She did say in an interview she cut it all off for the Girlie Show, because she wanted to be more androgynous, she was even going to have it black. I still think the length in DG was better, but we know the statements she likes to make.

Haha. The final length was perfect. Her character was originally slated to be a much more conventional TV anchor person but looking back the bad hair jobs from rehearsal footage on should have been a rather obvious clue otherwise. :p

• 2 weeks later...

At least purchase a copy (or more) to donate to your local public library. I did that recently with a bunch of Ferrara movies and they are checked out all the time.

Which just goes to prove Dangerous Game may not be pleasant viewing for fans (it isn't meant to be) but there is a definitely a market for slightly out of control movies about out of control lives that isn't being served. :/ Plus getting M's better roles more widely known is only going to benefit her hopefully long and prolific directing career. :)

So Dangerous game is the reason why she has short hair in Girlie?

Not really, her hair started to break off when she tried to go back to blond after the Fever video, so she kinda had to cut it...

She talks about this in the Girlie Talk special, 7:45 mark

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ULBxDKHIo

I ve allways loved this film it s a beautifull RAW daytime nightmare .

The story could have been tighter but it is such a fascinating theme: the war between Hollywood film making and domestic life. Be sure to tell Ferrara and hi from all of us fans if you see him around in Rome. :)

Dangerous Game is unwatchable. The same as Evita, and those are the two that she gets acclaim for. Shame that the movies are shit

Well you may rate those two movies poorly, that's subjective, but the fact remains that they are her two greatest performances in film. I love her in DT, DSS and ALOTO too but her acting and presence in Evita and DG are unparallelled when judged against anything else she's done in movies as an actress

Are most Madonna movies remakes/rip off's?

The next best thing -------------) The object of my affection

Body of evidence -------------) Basic instinct

Who's that girl -------------) Bringing up baby

Shanghai surprise -------------) The african queen and/or Romancing the Stone

Swept away -------------) Swept away by an unusual destiny in the blue sea of august

The movie itself is really bad... very boring... the plot just doesn't go anywhere... that's why it got trashed by the critics... not because of the Madonna Sex/BoE backlash...

Madonna isn't embarrassing as in most of her other films... but let's face it... she received mostly negative reviews... all this talk about acclaim and stuff... you guys act like this movie was this big underground hit and Madonna did an awesome acting job... hell... even the director said she performed like shit... but you guys... oh it is so arty and Independent... you sound like little monsters defending a train wreck like American Horror Story:Hotel...

The director can suck my ass, he said what he said because he's was pressed af

She overshadowed him at the Venice film festival, she was praised for her performance and you will deal

There are various possible messages and interpretations of the film itself, whatever, you can go back and forth on that all day. What was said that was so controversial, the "shit magnet" comment ? I have no idea what that was referring to unless it was potential audiences that were repulsed by the idea of watching a Madonna movie. He often talks vitriolic crap and makes outlandish statements to draw attention to himself. There has never been anything but praise for her from either critics or Ferrara in any of his interviews, for obvious reasons. :)

• 1 month later...

I love this film! I mean, i love M's scenes! :)

The first time i've heard about cut scenes was around 12 years ago.. and Now i've read a few pics from those scenes resurfaced a while ago..

Any chance or reposting here? or if you guys know anything about the unreleased footage- I'd love to hear!