Any Idea Why They're Not Selling the "Rebel Heart" Album At Shows?

HolidayGuy

I thought the industry had a rule that albums sold at live gigs don't count in terms of sales/charting...or was that rule scratched?

I thought Prince tried it a good while ago, and got busted. Maybe I'm confusing it with someone else.... but I swear I read something like that...

No, you're confused. Of course counts

If streaming at some stupid page counts as sale, then why ten people at a concert don't count as one album sold???

And like with Prince, the album would rocket the charts and concerts would have a reflection on charts.

BTW, what's the Guy Oseary Confessions book????

Let's not blame Prince for anything...! He gave his album away for free to everyone who attended the concert (and scanned the albums beforehand so that the sales contributed to Soundscan). This has absolutely nothing to do with RH not being available for purchase at the concerts.

No, you're confused. Of course counts

I was thinking of the "ticket bundling" practice. As said above, he gave it away for free but tried to have them counted. Now I remember.

There was a recent article saying that albums actually sold at concerts do count now, at least in the UK.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/6706931/albums-sold-at-uk-shows-will-count-toward-sales-chart

I've been to a few shows where the artist sells cds and dvds from their past albums and concert films, or even their latest film/docu at the merchandise stands. Broadway musicals always sell the cast album at their shows too. (All for a higher price point, of course. ;) )

Perhaps they don't think it's worth the effort because so much of everything is digital now.

I think MDNA CDs were pretty hard to find at any merch stands, anyway. I thought that they should try and sell the Rebel Heart deluxe since some fans have maybe not found it yet/ some casual fans would think it was something special for the tour.

From memory, Prince gave everyone who attended the show a copy of his latest album at the venue (after scanning each copy) and then the album rocketed up the charts, prompting them to change the rule regarding ticket bundling etc.

That was it. Thanks for the heads up.

As an aside, I had a really difficult time with redeeming the free download of the super deluxe album with my ticket purchases. I bought six tickets -- unfortunately, from three different vendors! One pair was from Ticketmaster (gift tix for NYC friends), one pair was from VIP Nation (for DC), and one pair was from Wells Fargo Center (for Philadelphia).

That means I should have been able to download it once for myself and share five downloads, which they encouraged you to do. But only one of my friends was able to download it. The others all said they were given an error message that said it had already been redeemed. I continued to get "reminder" emails from Ticketmaster and Wells Fargo ... I even reached out to Ticketmaster for help, but I wasn't sure they could help if the Wells Fargo tickets were the problem, etc. etc. It was ridiculous. I ended up sending physical albums that I bought to my friends as gifts anyway, but it's still the principle of the thing.