Bad Girl... Please Discuss

tasteinmen

how is that progressive?

How old are you? Are you aware that vids didn't even have big plots back then? and that using sex as a way to avoid depression was edgy at the time? This vid is incredibly witty after the full fanfare of Sex and way ahead of time. Unless you are on your 20s you will remember how were plots in vids back then.

Just amazing

Would so love her to do this on tour

It must happen.

Video is epic.

It's the theme tune to my life .

*washes knickers in sink*

She has forgotten about this song. She has never ever talked about it afterwards.

How old are you? Are you aware that vids didn't even have big plots back then? and that using sex as a way to avoid depression was edgy at the time? This vid is incredibly witty after the full fanfare of Sex and way ahead of time. Unless you are on your 20s you will remember how were plots in vids back then.

He probably likes better the rip off Vilaine Fermière did with Abel Ferrara (with whom Madonna was filming Snake Eyes with at the time of the bad girl shoot) for her song California 2 years later :fuckoff:

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Maybe in that regard you can call it innovative but it's conservative in a social consideration, which is what I meant. The 80s and early 90s were full of failed professional female figures. The underlying message being free, professional women are lonely, hysterical, have a failed personal life and live promiscuous lives. And they often end up dead. Well, that's the paradigm the Bad Girl video adopts.

It's also especially conservative given Madonna's Erotica project supposed to be liberating from the usual associations of sex with sin or (social, moral, divine, self) punishment.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

He probably likes better the rip off Vilaine Fermière did with Abel Ferrara (with whom Madonna was filming Snake Eyes with at the time of the bad girl shoot) for her song California 2 years later :fuckoff:

Indeed, I prefer it. I love doppelgangers. :stir:

The message of the video is completely different. It may be a rip off of something but unfortunately not a Madonna movie. :D

Overrated shit ballad.

Okay :chuckle: Just kidding.

It took some time to warm up to this song. There's something "off" with the chorus but at the same time it's the endearing part of the song, what makes it unique from her other ballads.

And her vocals are imperfect but lovely here :drama:

Too bad it seems she has forgotten about this.

I adore this song, the lyrics are perfect, the melody BUT i have a problem with some of her vocals on it, she sounds way too nasal in some parts (just like on deeper and deeper). I wish for an accoustic performance of it with her lower register. It's a torch song that is asking for a reinvention.

her vocals are everything on this..they make the song and the album

recorded on first take and purposely ruff

Maybe in that regard you can call it innovative but it's conservative in a social consideration, which is what I meant. The 80s and early 90s were full of failed professional female figures. The underlying message being free, professional women are lonely, hysterical, have a failed personal life and live promiscuous lives. And they often end up dead. Well, that's the paradigm the Bad Girl video adopts.

It's also especially conservative given Madonna's Erotica project supposed to be liberating from the usual associations of sex with sin or (social, moral, divine, self) punishment.

?

?

The self destructive, negative presentation of sex on display in the video is from the perspective of a woman being taken down to a place of depression, anxiety, drug use,and suicide by her own doing whereas in Dangerous Game the relationships between actors become contaminated by the violence of their work together as a family and community. It is hard to see that the movie didn't have an influence when that really does seem the major difference.

The video is partly inspired by the book/film Looking for Mr. Goodbar starring Diane Keaton and Richard Gere. It's a rather grim tale of a woman (Keaton) who frequents bars at night and takes strangers home. There are no angels in it but it has a downer of an ending.

Never a fan of the song. I love her look in the video and the live performance. I think she should incorporate it back into her live tours. The entire Erotica album is timeless. Where most of her back catalog requires reinvention or to be stripped down from its original production.

I think should incorporate it back into her live tours. The entire Erotica album is timeless. Where most of her back catalog requires reinvention or to be stripped down from its original production.

I agree. Regardless of what were your Erotica favs that album is perfection from start to finish and it really stood the test of time like you said. American Life and HC come pretty close to Erotica's production value. It's sad that they don't get the recognition they deserve from a good chunk of fans, in the case of AL and HC in particular of course.

I agree. Regardless of what were your Erotica favs that album is perfection from start to finish and it really stood the test of time like you said. American Life and HC come pretty close to Erotica's production value. It's sad that they don't get the recognition they deserve from a good chunk of fans, in the case of AL and HC in particular of course.

I think S&S did a solid job of showcasing HC. Though I detest her inclusion of Spanish Lesson. She literally could have saved it for the South American leg of her tour only.

AL was short changed by the re-Invention tour. The Girlie Show did an excellent job showcasing Erotica. It's unfortunate she has not been more inclined to revisit it fully for the recent tours. It fits with all of her albums after it except Bedtime Stories.

One of her most amazing videos . Every shot is so freeze frame-able. The song is very underrated .

I think S&S did a solid job of showcasing HC. Though I detest her inclusion of Spanish Lesson. She literally could have saved it for the South American leg of her tour only.

AL was short changed by the re-Invention tour. The Girlie Show did an excellent job showcasing Erotica. It's unfortunate she has not been more inclined to revisit it fully for the recent tours. It fits with all of her albums after it except Bedtime Stories.

She plays down every project and aspect of that time, not only the album, so obviously it is either still too personally painful or at the least professionally inconvenient.

Bad Girl has always been a favorite of mine: cinematic and dark and edgy.

I find it interesting that over the years a few people have mentioned finding the melody strained and unappealing. I found it instantly catchy the first time I played the song in 1992, and nothing has changed. Effortless and addictive.