The BOXSCORE thread [part 1]

Apples388

So, will she do a stadium tour again after RH?

Maybe I don't understand why the switch for this tour other than wanting to have a more intimate show. Seems hard to believe she wouldn't gross more than 200 million for a Tour. If RHT grosses less than the Confessions Tour then wtf happened lol

She's not going to gross more than Confessions, it's looking like it's going to be more like it's in between Re-Invention and Confessions. I reckon around $150 million mark. This is a great amount at these times. People are worried but look at Katy Perry, Coldplay or even Fleetwood Mac's last tours all under 200m. This is her 5th tour since 2004, so of course attendance is going to be down.

She's not going to gross more than Confessions, it's looking like it's going to be more like it's in between Re-Invention and Confessions. I reckon around $150 million mark. This is a great amount at these times. People are worried but look at Katy Perry, Coldplay or even Fleetwood Mac's last tours all under 200m. This is her 5th tour since 2004, so of course attendance is going to be down.

katy's tour grossed more than $200m.

Katy Perry – Prismatic: $202,642,477

Number of shows: 151

Average attendance: 12,482

im questing closer to 200M with over 80+ dates and more dates probably be added in the spring.

I'm a little surprised she's only doing the two dates in Macau. She could really hit lots of other dates in China since she's already there, anyway

The government bans any art performance with religious and political references, so no.

Katy did 151 shows though, madonna's doing 81, big difference, cannot compare!

Wow! That's a lot of shows. I prefer Madonna to do half of the shows and gross less than for her to end up exhausted after performing for that amount of time!

Her last two tours were stadium tours. It's not easy filling up 50,000 seats all the time, even if you're Madonna.

Guess I'm wondering more about what lies ahead, is this tour the new precedent or just mixing things up to do a larger stadium tour again down the road?

Miss the days when it was virtually a guarantee that the new Madonna tour would outsell the previous, even if the era wasn't a huge success.

It's great that this tour is getting such high praise across the board. Her tours usually do but this one is being received especially well. Almost a month until I see her in Atlanta!

Guess I'm wondering more about what lies ahead, is this tour the new precedent or just mixing things up to do a larger stadium tour again down the road?

Miss the days when it was virtually a guarantee that the new Madonna tour would outsell the previous, even if the era wasn't a huge success.

It's great that this tour is getting such high praise across the board. Her tours usually do but this one is being received especially well. Almost a month until I see her in Atlanta!

It will be interesting what happens next album/tour....

This show is exceptional for Madonnas natural fun personality singing through, really connecting with the audience....its pleasing fans and critics alike unanimously which is fantastic.

I do think her "current commercial success" has an influence on ticket sales, had RH of had a hit single or she had the promotion like she had last time with the SuperBowl, they'd be more shows in the gaps we have seen on the schedule....

That said, do I think she can do another stadium tour.....absolutely but it does depend on the current albums commercial success....

But her live legacy following this tour is in no question, she out performs anyone else and I'm in love with her live presence all over again I can't wait to see her in Birmingham!

Okay people, to put things into perspective I did some research to find out how the exchange rate dollar vs. euro etc influences the revenues. Please note that there are variables (mainly those expensive VIP tickets that are not reported to Billboard, at least that's what I understood from previous posts) that could change this a little but without access to those numbers you can only analyse what has been reported. Please also note that those numbers are solely based on revenues and therefore cannot give any indication on the profitability of this production since we have no access to the cost side of the accounting process. (Although it seems obvious that the show itself is certainly more cost effective than MDNA by stage design and setting alone). So here we go. I took a closer look at the Berlin and Sweden dates. Revenues in USD, in EUR. Average ticket price.

Berlin:

2012: Revenue in USD 3.679.378 vs. 2015: Revenue in USD 2.638.597 -> minus 28,5%

2012: Revenue in EUR 2.949.757 vs. 2015: Revenue in EUR 2.452.338 -> minus 17%

2012: AVR in USD 144,40 vs. 2015: AVR in USD 111,86 -> minus 32,5%

2015: AVR in EUR 116,07 vs. 2015: AVR ion EUR 104,31 -> minus 11,6%

Sweden:

2012: Revenue in USD 4.510.807 vs. 2015: Revenue in USD 3.482.634 -> minus 22,5%

2015: Revenue in SEK 31.287.408 vs. 2015: Revenue in SEK 30.052.045 -> minus 4% !!!!!!!!

2012: AVR in USD 123,68 vs. 2015: AVR in USD 88,53 -> minus 35,25%

2015: AVR in SEK 857,86 vs. 2015: AVR in SEK 763,94 -> minus 11%

As you can clearly see the stronger dollar lowers the USD numbers significantly. Interestingly the Sweden show almost made the same revenue in its local currency like the MDNA stop in 2012. Of course this compensation was only possible because of a higher number of tickets sold. The same cannot be said about Berlin which shows a variance of 17% because of a lower reported attendance and a lower AVR. The AVR has decreased by roughly 10%. A number which seems to be okay considering the market situation. Keep in mind that a) RH was not that big success, had no hit to rely on b) her reputation has been damaged since MDNA (late starts, not playing enough hits) c) (over) saturation of the market. It seems obvious that her team knew about the situation and therefore sold the show quite properly (some questionable decisions included, like selling the London dates at extreme prices). As I have said before, I'm convinced the cost side of the production has been adjusted to this situation. Therefore I have no doubts the RH tour will have a return of investment quite in line with the MDNA tour.

So I hope this was helpful to put some things into perspective at least when it comes to the factor currency exchange rate.

Thanks!

absolutely not a chance with this tour, even Singapore is very unlikely, i think the only tour that may have qualified in the past was the Virgin Tour :lol: oh wait..wasn't Burning up a bit racy? so, no, none of her tours are suitable for China

When the "top grossing tours" list is released next year......

Will they combine ALL of Madonnas total Gross or just next years dates?

I suppose only dates between mid November this year to November 2016 since this is Nov 2014 til Nov 2015. This seems to be the criterion at least, a bit silly to be honest. If you look at this list it gives you the idea that the acts in the top 5 are more successful when it's not the case. It's just they have a higher number of gigs and as a consequence a higher gross because their tours started months before the RHT

It is not a real measure at all, they should have a list where all tours started within any given solar year are finished and THEN do the ranking based on gross and their relative number of gigs

They were celebrating the 20th anniversary of their last shows cause their lead singer died 20 years ago. Technically it was a "one more chance to see us" kind of thing.