The BOXSCORE thread [part 1]

Apples388

It's really difficult to speculate on the gross per concert right now. But certain things have to be considered compared to previous tours, particularly MDNA. Firstly, although the price range seems to remain the same as MDNA, that is really quite deceiving. For example, at MSG, tons of seats that were previously priced at $175 for MDNA are priced at $360 this time for RHT. In other words, they expanded the area for the top tier price ranges. Some seats that were $90 for MDNA are now $175 for RHT. Secondly, even if the stage is bigger for RHT, let's not forget that there is no pit this time around. So it kinda evens out the space occupied by the bigger RHT stage. Thirdly, although she is not playing stadiums this time around, the ticket prices in Asia are ridiculously more expensive. In Manila for example, the entire floor & first few rows of the area above the floor are priced between $1200-1500. The next level is priced at $650. The two least expensive levels are at $180 & $75 but these are the upper tiers only. I think Hong Kong & Taiwan are similarly priced. So right now, it is really not a good gauge to compare it to her previous tours cuz the pricing is very different even if the average capacity is smaller. What could be a factor are the cities that are underselling like Detroit & Atlantic City where prices have to be dropped but this may be offset by the addition of more Asian dates & the rumored return to NY for more shows next year. I'm dying to see the first batch of boxscores so we we can have an idea of the gross per show, at least for the US and Europe.

Madonna has already grossed $23M from just 6 dates of her Rebel Heart Tour. It's expected to gross around $200-300M.

Billboard is the only outlet reporting figures

Until they're on its Boxscore section nobody really knows

Next update on Oct 6

http://www.billboard.com/biz/current-boxscore

It's really difficult to speculate on the gross per concert right now. But certain things have to be considered compared to previous tours, particularly MDNA. Firstly, although the price range seems to remain the same as MDNA, that is really quite deceiving. For example, at MSG, tons of seats that were previously priced at $175 for MDNA are priced at $360 this time for RHT. In other words, they expanded the area for the top tier price ranges. Some seats that were $90 for MDNA are now $175 for RHT. Secondly, even if the stage is bigger for RHT, let's not forget that there is no pit this time around. So it kinda evens out the space occupied by the bigger RHT stage. Thirdly, although she is not playing stadiums this time around, the ticket prices in Asia are ridiculously more expensive. In Manila for example, the entire floor & first few rows of the area above the floor are priced between $1200-1500. The next level is priced at $650. The two least expensive levels are at $180 & $75 but these are the upper tiers only. I think Hong Kong & Taiwan are similarly priced.

So right now, it is really not a good gauge to compare it to her previous tours cuz the pricing is very different even if the average capacity is smaller. What could be a factor are the cities that are underselling like Detroit & Atlantic City where prices have to be dropped but this may be offset by the addition of more Asian dates & the rumored return to NY for more shows next year. I'm dying to see the first batch of boxscores so we we can have an idea of the gross per show, at least for the US and Europe.

:thumbsup:

We can at least be sure she's doing much better than Vegas Celine/Britney :lol: Especially Britney of course. Celine did fine for what a Vegas residency is worth, $7m for 10 shows, 41,000/42,000. Certainly not an MSG or Barclays Center with M's prices and a higher capacity. If for every date we see the kind of crowd shots we've seen so far, with her prices, M will be fine regardless of a lack of stadium gigs. I love how nobody in media is second-guessing U2's success and their arena tour compared to the previous one despite the fact their average figure is down from $7m per gig to $2m per gig

Expects meltdown in case M didn't sell out. :1251:

Ever since S&S her shows are always reported as a sell-out, even if they're not...at least that's how it was for a few stadium shows :sneaky:

Although all of the RH shows were packed so far so I doubt we're dealing with the same situation (fortunately)...Hope I don't get killed though for what I've said above :sneaky:

Ever since S&S her shows are always reported as a sell-out, even if they're not...at least that's how it was for a few stadium shows :sneaky:

Although all of the RH shows were packed so far so I doubt we're dealing with the same situation (fortunately)...Hope I don't get killed though for what I've said above :sneaky:

Run for ur life lol

Read Cartas post, it explains everything perfectly:

It's probably a good time to remind people about the concept of technical sell outs. Basically, before a single ticket goes on sale, the promoters (in conjunction with artist management) need to set in stone a figure that will be used for accounting purposes as the "sold out" figure. The figure is determined based on a huge range of factors (mostly financial, in that obviously, they need to sell a certain number of tickets to cover ALL costs, including Madonna's guaranteed minimum performance fee etc.). It also takes into account factors such as anticipated demand, past performance in that particular market etc. Anything sold above that is reported in the total grosses.

An example - MSG holds around 15 800 students in a regular end stage configuration (without catwalks etc.). For DWT, that was the sell out figure. For RIT, the sell out figure was around 1000 lower per show. For Confessions, it was around 15 300, for S&S is was around the same and for MDNA, it was around 12 400. This might have been because the triangle wiped out a heap of seats (highly likely), but it the sell out figure might also have been reduced due to the fact that she had already performed two sold out stadium tours in New York prior to the arena shows (i.e. demand wouldn't have been as high).

If Live Nation/Guy Oseary feel that Madonna could sell 20 000 tickets in Florence, then as long as all of the figures add up, they can record 20 000 as their "sold out" figure. If she doesn't manage to sell 20 000 tickets, then the show will officially be listed as a non sell out. If she matches or exceeds 20 000 tickets sold, then it's officially a sell out (even if she managed to sell 35 000 tickets in the same venue on a previous tour and that concert was listed as sold out - all that means is that back then, Live Nation and Guy felt that they could sell 35 000 tickets, and they were right, but this time around, they don't think they can move as many tickets for whatever reason). Rome's Olympic Stadium, for example, as vastly different attendance figures for Confessions, S & S and MDNA, and all three performances were officially sold out (and the venues looked packed every time).

Every tour, people complain very loudly about the "ridiculously low" sold out figures and claim that it's false, misleading etc. etc., since she sold "more tickets at the same venue last time and that was listed as sold out!" While there are certainly situations where it's impossible to buy a ticket on the night of the show, for most shows (even ones listed as "sold out"), you can still grab a ticket on the night (people were buying tickets for the MSG Confessions shows on the night and they'd been listed as "sold out" for weeks beforehand). Ultimately, the industry practice is to stick with the pre-determined sell out figures and all subsequent reports are based on those figures. It's a very safe bet that all six shows so far will be reported as sell outs.

Let the fun begin! :)

Read my earlier post on the standard industry definition of a "sell out" :)

Edit: Thanks Kurt! :thumbsup:

Related to this topic is something I discovered today about Kylie Minogue's most recent Australian tour. In the past, she's performed to around 11 300 people per show at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre (where Madonna is performing in March). However, this time around, the total number of tickets available was listed as 7227 (she sold 95% of those tickets). Obviously, being an arena, the venue hasn't shrunk since she last toured, but clearly, they didn't expect her to sell anywhere near as many tickets this time around (and blocked off the entire upper levels of the arena, accounting for over 4000 seats). Last time she performed in Brisbane, she did two shows. I was at the first (and it was absolutely jam packed, so let's say 11 000 people), but I was stunned to discover that the total attendance for the two shows was 15 540 (meaning that only around 4 500 attended the second show - the overall attendance figure for the two shows combined was listed as 68%, which is shocking for someone of Kylie's status). This helps to explain why they only made 7227 tickets available for Brisbane (it's still very surprising that she only managed to sell less than half the number of tickets she had the previous time she toured, but sales were way down across the whole country for her this time around).

It's really difficult to speculate on the gross per concert right now. But certain things have to be considered compared to previous tours, particularly MDNA. Firstly, although the price range seems to remain the same as MDNA, that is really quite deceiving. For example, at MSG, tons of seats that were previously priced at $175 for MDNA are priced at $360 this time for RHT. In other words, they expanded the area for the top tier price ranges. Some seats that were $90 for MDNA are now $175 for RHT. Secondly, even if the stage is bigger for RHT, let's not forget that there is no pit this time around. So it kinda evens out the space occupied by the bigger RHT stage. Thirdly, although she is not playing stadiums this time around, the ticket prices in Asia are ridiculously more expensive. In Manila for example, the entire floor & first few rows of the area above the floor are priced between $1200-1500. The next level is priced at $650. The two least expensive levels are at $180 & $75 but these are the upper tiers only. I think Hong Kong & Taiwan are similarly priced. So right now, it is really not a good gauge to compare it to her previous tours cuz the pricing is very different even if the average capacity is smaller. What could be a factor are the cities that are underselling like Detroit & Atlantic City where prices have to be dropped but this may be offset by the addition of more Asian dates & the rumored return to NY for more shows next year. I'm dying to see the first batch of boxscores so we we can have an idea of the gross per show, at least for the US and Europe.

True... Ticket prices for asian concert are about the same with North American concert due to their all being arena shows.

I saw MDNA Tour in Istanbul (Stadium show), and tickets were lot cheaper. Top tier a.k.a. Standing front row tickets were for 635 Turkish Lira ($317.5), rest of general admission was for 165 Turkish Lira ($82.5). Bleacher tickets were ranging from $55 to $190.

She simply makes arena show tickets lot more expensive... But still it might not be able to even it out. Because M made $6,219,598 from that Istanbul show (48,000 attendance). The most she made from a single arena show is not nearly close to it.

But I don't think Madge cares about boxscore honestly. At this point in her career, she has all the money that she will ever need =D

Edited by MonsieurB

in my calculation, she would make around 280 million by closely beating out toilet swept's one.

Why is everyone so vile to Taylor Swift in here?

She's genuinely really talented and pulling out very impressive numbers for someone her age.....and she's been nothing but gracious towards Madonna and vice versa.

She's genuinely really talented and pulling out very impressive numbers for someone her age.....and she's been nothing but gracious towards Madonna and vice versa.

I think you'll find that any female artist other than Madonna tends to cop a beating in here. However, a lot of people like lots of different female artists other than Madonna (even though Madonna is far and away the best ever!). Personally, I think Taylor, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, P!nk and Madonna's traditional rivals, Whitney, Mariah, Janet and Britney are all amazing :thumbsup:

Where da fuq are the boxscores? Dying to know!

Oh and as for other female artists... I definitely love a lot of other ones both huge and indie (but Madonna is definitely #1 and I will defend her to the death, haha). It's just in the case of Taylor, I really do not get why she is SOOO massive. I mean, yes, she is cute and has ok songs, but so many artists are cute and have catchy songs.

I just do not understand how she sells millions in age where so few do. I do not know one person in my life who is a big fan of her. That's not to say others aren't big fans. To me she is someone that so DOESN'T elicit super-fandom in the way an artist like Madonna does (addicitivity, being interesting, different facets). To me, she is beige. Congrats on her success and to whoever it is stanning for her, haha.

Sorry to get off topic. Anyway, can't wait to see some figures for RHT!

Save the stanning for other female stars for the Flop Princess section. Debate your love for Taylor there.

Where da fuq are the boxscores? Dying to know!

Oh and as for other female artists... I definitely love a lot of other ones both huge and indie (but Madonna is definitely #1 and I will defend her to the death, haha). It's just in the case of Taylor, I really do not get why she is SOOO massive. I mean, yes, she is cute and has ok songs, but so many artists are cute and have catchy songs.

I just do not understand how she sells millions in age where so few do. I do not know one person in my life who is a big fan of her. That's not to say others aren't big fans. To me she is someone that so DOESN'T elicit super-fandom in the way an artist like Madonna does (addicitivity, being interesting, different facets). To me, she is beige. Congrats on her success and to whoever it is stanning for her, haha.

Sorry to get off topic. Anyway, can't wait to see some figures for RHT!

I agree. I dont get it. She is not a great performer. Bore to death.

But most of all i hate whoriah scarey the most.obviously she has many reasons to be hated.

so $20,429,717 from 10 shows performing to 132,769 people. average ticket price of $153.87. average of $2,042,971.70 per show. that's not bad.