Borderline or Lucky Star which one came first ?

Roland Barthes

I have always thought that LS came first,even before holiday,butvthat it flopped.and only after holiday and borderline's success they shot the video and they re-released it.wasn't the first album planned to be called LS?

Yes, the album was going to be called Lucky Star as the artwork surfaced a few years ago. Also, there are some South African and Zimbabwean pressings where the disc has Lucky Star as the album title.

However, as I mentioned, LS only got a proper release in the UK (twice), Japan and the US. In Europe it was on the flip of the Holiday maxi single. Also, as mentioned, Lisa Stevens (writer of Holiday) said radio picked up on Holiday so they rush released an edit to radio so I assume the record company had to change their release plans.

Like BU with PA on the back for the clubs, Holiday had LS on the back for the clubs?

In the US, LS was finally released just as a 7" single in summer of 84.

in the US this is how it played out.

in 1982 Everybody was released. it was a club hit. the video was played nowhere (maybe a few NY clubs).

in mid 1983 Burning Up is released as a double A side with Physical Attraction. PA actually more of a club hit, Burning Up video had minor club play but not on MTV.

Holiday was released in the final quarter of '83 because of Jellybean and the DJ's loyalty to their own. it became her first cross-over Billboard Hot 100 hit.

while in the UK promoting Holiday and her first album, she discusses that she will fly back to Los Angeles to shoot the video for Borderline - in which she plays a "Lolita-like character".

while in LA, she shoots Borderline and Lucky Star a few weeks apart. Sire/Warner believes Borderline is good for US radio and MTV and sends Lucky Star to club DJ's in the UK. shes still struggling in that market.

Borderline single is released in the US. she get her first top 10. the 12" has both Borderline and Lucky Star remixes.

Madonna becomes big on MTV with Borderline - her first Top 10. she goes into the studio with Nile Rogers to work on her follow up - Like a Virgin. they complete production around April. she cant wait to get it out. but Borderline is STILL lingering and shes praying for it to go away so can unleash Virgin to the world.

because the album is SELLING and doing so well and Madonna is becoming so big, Sire/Warner decide to release Lucky Star as a proper single and the video is already shot. they send song to radio and video to MTV.

Lucky Star is the song of that summer. her first Top 5. because she is so big now, they start playing Burning Up on the radio and Everybody. MTV will play the BU video but never Everybody! local video shows would play both. like MV3 here in Los Angeles.

this delays the release of Virgin and madonna is not happy.

she is nominated for Best New Artist for Borderline at the first MTV music awards. they expected her to sing the song she is nominated for. she does Like a Virgin two months before the record release.

Madonna become a global superstar. and while the UK virtually ignored her first stuff, she is so big now, they RERELEASE the first album over there with that very title and new artwork. Madonna: The First Album.

all the songs that had their day in 83/84 now reemerge on the UK charts in 85.

there you have it.

Thank you! :inlove:

Let's ask Bridget Jones

LOL :laugh:

Lucky Star was a single in England in October 1983 - it's even referred to as the only highlight in the negative NME album review.

It was also a double A-side with Holiday when it topped the club charts in 1983... it was reissued after her success, but I'm not sure if the Borderline video came first.

How could anyone give the first album a negative review :( it is classic from start to finish!

Thank You all and Pud en particulier.

So the Lucky Star just like the Everybody one was shot for clubs clubs like Private eyes ? http://www.boweryboyshistory.com/2012/03/rays-of-light-madonna-and-music-video.html

this explains why there are two Lucky Star videos : a short one and a longer one.

In the UK, Madonna's singles were released in the following order:

Everybody

Lucky Star (re-promoted after the success of Holiday)

Holiday

Borderline (re-promoted in early 1986)

In the US, the order was as follows:

Everybody

Burning Up

Holiday

Borderline

Lucky Star

In Australia, the order was as follows:

Burning Up

Holiday

Borderline

Lucky Star

New Zealand had the same order as Australia, with the addition of Everybody (before Burning Up).

The reason why Lucky Star precedes Borderline on TIC is because LS saw a single release in a major territory (the UK) before Borderline (even though the LS video wasn't filmed until immediately after the Borderline one).

Thanks for this also. It ties in nicely with Pud's post! ;)

However, as I mentioned, LS only got a proper release in the UK (twice), Japan and the US. In Europe it was on the flip of the Holiday maxi single. Also, as mentioned, Lisa Stevens (writer of Holiday) said radio picked up on Holiday so they rush released an edit to radio so I assume the record company had to change their release plans.

And Australia and New Zealand :thumbsup:

in the US this is how it played out.

in 1982 Everybody was released. it was a club hit. the video was played nowhere (maybe a few NY clubs).

I've got a copy of either Billboard or Cashbox Magazine from that era that featured MTV video playlists. "Everybody" appeared as a new release, but I only saw it once. Chances are, they played it once and then dropped it...

Thank You all and Pud en particulier.

So the Lucky Star just like the Everybody one was shot for clubs clubs like Private eyes ? http://www.boweryboyshistory.com/2012/03/rays-of-light-madonna-and-music-video.html

this explains why there are two Lucky Star videos : a short one and a longer one.

Wow! Never heard of 'video clubs'!

I thought they just did a quick video for MTV for Lucky Star just to cash in on the success?

It's such an amazing video though but so simple. I'd take this over Ray of Light any day!

I believe Borderline was shot first, then LS.. which is hard to believe as Borderhole is a proper video, LS is basic and shot in a white studio backdrop - an advertisement for the Madonna look is a great observation.

Then there's the legendary scrapped Holiday video sung over a hot pink backdrop IIRC, her look may have been like this

http://attheloft.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ecca8b98833013487edb596970c-pi

Wow! Never heard of 'video clubs'!

I thought they just did a quick video for MTV for Lucky Star just to cash in on the success?

It's such an amazing video though but so simple. I'd take this over Ray of Light any day!

I think they had video jukeboxes in pubs or something in Britain in the 80s?

I've got a copy of either Billboard or Cashbox Magazine from that era that featured MTV video playlists. "Everybody" appeared as a new release, but I only saw it once. Chances are, they played it once and then dropped it...

Awesome info! At least someone seen it. I'm shocked Burning Up got scant play though, great video and quintessential Madonna.

My dream is to interview Pud, Carta and Mattress and raid their brains of all Madonna knowledge

I'm not worthy of being in the same sentence as Pud and Mattress!!! :)

Maybe we can chat in Paris!!! :thumbsup:

So which video was shot first then? Borderline and then Lucky Star, like the order of the single releases? Always thought it was the other way round.

Definitely Borderline - LS was shot very shortly after, though (Pud mentions it in his summary, I think...).

I'm not worthy of being in the same sentence as Pud and Mattress!!! :)

Maybe we can chat in Paris!!! :thumbsup:

You are definitely worthy, don't sell yourself short. Your knowledge of Madonna is incredible. All 3 of you are brilliant with your Madonna facts. Lucky to have such fans that post on this forum.

IIRC the original release of Madonna got to no 38 on the UK album charts, the one with the disgusting cover and title already with an eye on history got to #6 of course and must have been in the top 10 the same time as LAV. One of the early cash-ins by the greedy UK arm of Warners, I was so annoyed they did that and had to buy US import CD for the original cover.

It peaked at #37 on April 15th, 1984, dropped out of the Top 40 a week later and then didn't enter it again until August 3rd, 1985 (two weeks after its reissue as "The First Album").

Useless trivia for you - the week before Madonna/The First Album reached the UK Top 10 for the first time, it was at #15, two spots higher than LAV. The next week, TFA moved to #10 (LAV leapt to #2), then up to #6 (LAV stayed at #2), where they both stayed for another week. A few weeks later, LAV moved to #1 (TFA was #8 that week) and all up, the two albums spent 10 weeks together in the Top 10 at the same time.

You are definitely worthy, don't sell yourself short. Your knowledge of Madonna is incredible. All 3 of you are brilliant with your Madonna facts. Lucky to have such fans that post on this forum.

Yes, you are!

:vogue:

You're both way too kind, but thank you :tigger:

You can take my spot on Chelle's list, Jonski :)

:smooch:

Dead @ that lazy eye Borderline pic :rotfl:

The Everybody video should've been on Celebration (it's available on iTunes) but isn't quite a proper video is it? Did Burning Up get any video play on TV at all at the time? It should've, it's one of my faves by her :dramatic::wow::inlove: I loved discovering this brand new video on the Madonna video EP.

I still don't know whether Physical Attraction was really a double A-side - it was in the clubs (like Holiday/Lucky Star). Wikipedia seems to say no :confused: - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Up_(Madonna_song)

Ignore what's on Wikipedia! The guy knows nothing. I had arguments with him correcting the release dates for the singles for the first album as it was all completely wrong and contradicted itself. The information about the Holiday sleeve is completely wrong even though it's been pointed out in the 'Talk' section.

The single actually says 'Fast Side / Slow Side' and has always been referred to as a double A side although BU only got a video.

I believe Borderline was shot first, then LS.. which is hard to believe as Borderhole is a proper video, LS is basic and shot in a white studio backdrop - an advertisement for the Madonna look is a great observation.

Then there's the legendary scrapped Holiday video sung over a hot pink backdrop IIRC, her look may have been like this

http://attheloft.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ecca8b98833013487edb596970c-pi

I think they had video jukeboxes in pubs or something in Britain in the 80s?

Awesome info! At least someone seen it. I'm shocked Burning Up got scant play though, great video and quintessential Madonna.

Urban myth. There was never a video for Holiday.

Citing Lisa Stevens who wrote co-wrote Holiday, radio picked the song up and it became a dance club hit which surprised the record company so they released the (badly done) edit and used the Solid Gold performance as a video. Lucky Star was meant to be the next next single after BU although I didn't know M didn't want to release it.

Wikipedia says (although it could be wrong) that she was being sued and needed money - I presume that was Reggie Lucas doing the suing, so she was talked into releasing LS so she could make money to pay off the lawsuit.

Guest Rachelle of London

You're ALL on my list. Webogirl and Jan I would love to see pics of you girls dressed up like M back in the day. Seriously though, imagine a Madonna book written by a collective of fans.

I would read it cover to cover in a few hours.

It peaked at #37 on April 15th, 1984, dropped out of the Top 40 a week later and then didn't enter it again until August 3rd, 1985 (two weeks after its reissue as "The First Album").

Useless trivia for you - the week before Madonna/The First Album reached the UK Top 10 for the first time, it was at #15, two spots higher than LAV. The next week, TFA moved to #10 (LAV leapt to #2), then up to #6 (LAV stayed at #2), where they both stayed for another week. A few weeks later, LAV moved to #1 (TFA was #8 that week) and all up, the two albums spent 10 weeks together in the Top 10 at the same time.

Excellent. :clap: And I'm not sure exactly when ITG was added, but it and The First Album reissue must have been around the same time.

Guest Pud Whacker

:smooch:

Ignore what's on Wikipedia! The guy knows nothing. I had arguments with him correcting the release dates for the singles for the first album as it was all completely wrong and contradicted itself. The information about the Holiday sleeve is completely wrong even though it's been pointed out in the 'Talk' section.

The single actually says 'Fast Side / Slow Side' and has always been referred to as a double A side although BU only got a video.

Urban myth. There was never a video for Holiday.

Citing Lisa Stevens who wrote co-wrote Holiday, radio picked the song up and it became a dance club hit which surprised the record company so they released the (badly done) edit and used the Solid Gold performance as a video. Lucky Star was meant to be the next next single after BU although I didn't know M didn't want to release it.

Wikipedia says (although it could be wrong) that she was being sued and needed money - I presume that was Reggie Lucas doing the suing, so she was talked into releasing LS so she could make money to pay off the lawsuit.

Omg, where does all this crap come from?

Holiday was the last quarter of 83. FALL. She didn't perform holiday on solid gold until January of 1984. They didn't start using Holiday solid gold as a video until years after. And never in America.

Reggie Lucas never sued madonna.

:rotfl: at her releasing LS to pay off. She was pissed and INSTRUCTED to be gracious publicly that they were still playing her first album.

Warner, LIKE ANY GOOD RECORD COMPANY THAT HAD A HOT COMMODITY, was milking everything they could. After Borderline madonna WAS HUGE.

The first batch of wannabes had been born. A year and half before virgin tour.

They released LS to have another hit single and shift more albums.

It's as simple as that. Really.

I lived through it, I was there. I was on board 110%.