When the GP Say Madonna is a Singles Artist...

tasteinmen

Seriously WTF?? I hate it when casual listeners say they would never listen to a Madonna album because she is a "singles artist"... I say "well then you'll never know just how great all her albums are"...

Honestly, I can listen to any Madonna album all the way through with pleasure without skipping, and there's only a couple of albums that have literally 1 song I could do without.

Thoughts?

Madonna is public property, she's beyond being a singer so anyone who never bought a record or never listens to music has an opinion on Madonna because she's like the weather, everyone is talking about it but very few are meteorologists and some truly believe satellites fuck up the weather. :)

People say what they hear other peole say to feel like they belong and to not show they don't know. Ask them about a more obscure artist.

She ultimately is in a way. It's pop music, so her best songs are most often singles - particularly in the 80s she was a singles act. In the 90s she became more of an albums artist.

She does have at least 2 classic albums though, which is better than most pop acts. There's nothing wrong at all with being a singles act.. TIC sold for a reason.

She ultimately is in a way. It's pop music, so her best songs are invariably singles - particularly in the 80s she was a singles act. In the 90s she became more of an albums artist.

She does have at least 2 classic albums though, which is better than most pop acts. There's nothing wrong at all with being a singles act.. TIC sold for a reason.

Completely disagree. Most of her album tracks are as good as the singles if not better. Most of my favorite Madonna songs are album tracks.

The simple idea that Madonna is a singles artist is completely laughable imo. Her discography is one of the best out there, a lot of people just don't give it a chance because of her reputation. She gave us solid albums since the beginning. I do think that she started to be more "artistic" in a way in the 90's with her albums, starting with Like a Prayer (i know, it was in 1989 but you see my point). I guess most people don't take her earliest work that seriously.

I have never heard anyone refer to Madonna as a singles artist. In fact the General Public respect her a lot more than her fans realize. Just watch any quiz show for example and people all know Madonna's music - singles and albums. Some people only know singles released and that is for every artist. These are the types that don't buy albums and just like hit songs on the radio.

I have never heard anyone refer to Madonna as a singles artist. In fact the General Public respect her a lot more than her fans realize. Just watch any quiz show for example and people all know Madonna's music - singles and albums. Some people only know singles released and that is for every artist. These are the types that don't buy albums and just like hit songs on the radio.

Agreed :)

Completely disagree. Most of her album tracks are as good as the singles if not better. Most of my favorite Madonna songs are album tracks.

I never said they weren't. But at the end of the day as good as some albums are, Madonna's legacy is going to be her singles. She is the best singles artist ever.

I could definitely see that argument early on in her career, when basically a whole album was singles :lmao: (5-6 songs) But she has evolved into an artist that makes cohesive albums that are listenable from start to finish. Even albums like Hard Candy, that are either loved or hated, still have a universal theme and imagery. I feel as though music listeners are evolving towards album listening anyways. Obviously the general public doesn't sit and listen to albums anymore, but they're not ignored like they used to be, when people would just purchase 2-3 songs and ignore the rest. Young people are finding out how great it is to listen to a 10-15 track album and find those hidden gems.

I totally agree with this.

I could definitely see that argument early on in her career, when basically a whole album was singles :lmao: (5-6 songs) But she has evolved into an artist that makes cohesive albums that are listenable from start to finish. Even albums like Hard Candy, that are either loved or hated, still have a universal theme and imagery. I feel as though music listeners are evolving towards album listening anyways. Obviously the general public doesn't sit and listen to albums anymore, but they're not ignored like they used to be, when people would just purchase 2-3 songs and ignore the rest. Young people are finding out how great it is to listen to a 10-15 track album and find those hidden gems.

Back in the day, many people considered the non-single tracks to be "fillers"... I always loved most of the non-single tracks. :)

Regardless, she's a consistently excellent album AND singles artist.

Er'body ain't able.

I agree. Singles is the métier for pop (think ABBA) and she is not Led Zep or Pink Floyd so if I were to pick which one she would be overall it would be singles artist, but she's good at both. Other examples include Prince (who a friend called a greatest hits artist which I didn't understand as he's very 50/50) and The Smiths.