Next album

Roland Barthes

I know, i know, i know it's very early and Rebel Heart is a great album that i listen to ALL the time since the first leaks in every incarnations of the songs and with the tour i'm listening to it again hardcore. But i have a wish, a very simple wish and that's for her next album to showcase her voice, unadorned, pure and unretouched just like we can hear it on "La vie en rose", "Between the bars" and many other accoustic tracks we heard sing beautifully through every tour (especially Reinvention...Mother and father, Lament) NO DEMO CASTILLOn whom has been recording her voice since Hard Candy on Celebration, MDNA and Rebel Heart making it sound paper thin....Mirwais said that what stunned when he first worked with her is how good her voice is and he decided to use her voice as it is (except on nobody's perfect of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGP0ubBLHZU

Bring back Mark Stent again

I agree that something stripped down would be nice. I doesn't have to be acoustic though. "Heaven" is beautiful. I do think she should do 10-12 songs maximum. Keep it simple. Every song should be either single-worthy or super-weird or personal. And I think she should stick to one or two producers, even if she has 15 writers per song.

I agree that something stripped down would be nice. I doesn't have to be acoustic though. "Heaven" is beautiful. I do think she should do 10-12 songs maximum. Keep it simple. Every song should be either single-worthy or super-weird or personal. And I think she should stick to one or two producers, even if she has 15 writers per song.

Yes i did not mean accoustic, but with her "real" voice, not processed to make her sound younger (if you read Demo Castellon interview from Keyboard where he explained how he reworked her voice on 4 minutes you know what i'm talking about). Her natural voice is so rich and soothing.

Since she's talked about heading in a more stripped-down direction anyway (Jimmy Fallon interview) and she's already testing the waters for a more intimate showgirl style (ukulele and guitar), I wouldn't be surprised if the next album (which I am NOT expecting before 2018) is something different. I wouldn't be ready to say 100% acoustic or folk or anything, but I don't think it will be grand dance music unless some trend blows up that really grabs her. The big dance music is what begs for large scale theatrics, and I think she's trying to move away from expensive large-scale tours. Maybe the Joe Henry era we've all been waiting for is upon us in the next M transformation?

It would be cool if she did some stuff out of left-field like combining cabaret music with ambient jazz or some shit. I still want a full-on rock or industrial-dance album but neither are likely at this point. A boy can dream though.

I think if she wrote the next album with Joe Henry, Guy Sigsworth and had production with William Orbit, Stuart Price, and Patrick Leonard (but not to make another Ray Of light Part 2) but rather more like Masterpiece, Ghosttown, X-Static Process, The Power Of Goodbye, and dance songs like Forbidden Love 2005 (which isn't completely dance but more beautiful trance-ish type dance music), I think that would be a very Grammy hard-hitting album for her. She's already hitting the "older" sexual side of herself so it's time to move on to new territory since it seems she's hinting at that. I hope if not those producers, she could always write with Dirty Vegas who just put out a BEAUTIFUL LP! OMG! I love every song! It's the best they've ever done! Now, their first LP was perfect as well, which is why she had them remix Die Another Day and I believe it ended up in the film at the credits but she should consider working with them.

She just doesn't have enough music does she? I mean no one expects her to be Prince, but that fat bastard Mariah is more prolific. Least we have the demo leaks, but they shoulda been b-sides. Or maybe we just greedy. :demonic: Madonna's quality control is sky high.

When I'm with her, baby.

I go out of my head

And, I just can't get enough

And, I just can't get enough

All the things she does to me

and everything she says

Mirwais said that what stunned when he first worked with her is how good her voice is and he decided to use her voice as it is

Best thing he did was talking her into that. Her voice sounds incredible on songs like I Deserve It and Gone.

I am still waiting for that superb album she will coproduce with Joe Henry!

Also, there are some past sounds that just died and never got any continuity which I think deserve some more. Secret Garden comes to my mind: something chill, poetic, with a more implicit sensuality rather than explicit. Skin as well, but maybe a more organic, less processed version of it. The folk of I deserve it or Xstatic Process would also be a breath of fresh air.

Still cant believe the next time we get an album from her she is going to be closing in on, or 60 years old.

Seems just like yesterday she hit 40 and everyone was making such a big HOOPLA over it like no woman had ever turned 40 before.

How fast time goes.

I used to think she was old as fuck at 40 :lmao: Now I'm about to hit that millstone. :(

I always laugh because as a kid I remember watching Madonna's Bedtime Story Pajama Party on MTV, and she was like what? 37 at the time? And I remember thinking, oh man, Madonna is getting up there, and being worried that she wouldn't be able to do this much longer. :lmao: I guess kids do have a warped view on what "old" is.

She has given us so much this era with countless hours of promo, a massive album, and an amazingly beautiful intimate tour that I will forever remember. Now all I want is her to make the music she desires to make on her own time. If that means I have to wait through another film or whatever she so chooses to do, that is fine with me.

I like the idea of her next album coinciding with her 60th Birthday and GOD can you imagine the field day the press day and internet trolls will have with that. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the year of her 60th Birthday also coincide with the 35th anniversary of the first album? That would be awesome as well and lots of free press could be built up with both events.

Once again it's not about the sound per say that i did this thread but about her voice and the way it has been processed on the last 3 albums by Demo Castillon, pushing it to a higher pitch to make her sound youthful when her voice au naturel is richer, soulful, seductive and has real soothing qualities. She should tap more into her lower register on her next album. As for the sound of it, well she can pull a dance track too with that voice.

"Unlike some engineers, Demo Castellon is happy to admit to using pitch correction on Madonna's vocal on '4 Minutes', yet in the same breath, Castellon declares himself a strong opponent of vocal tuning. So what's going on? "I pride myself on rarely using tuning," states Castellon. "I fight tooth and nail against doing it. I can make anyone sound like whoever, even Frank Sinatra, but I think that it is cheating to tune vocals. Some people do lots of tuning, and I'm cool with that, but it's not the way I like to work. We pride ourselves on the way we do things. When you work with us, we have high expectations. We're not going to sit there and just let you get by. If you're a singer, you should be able to sing, and if you can't, you should not be singing. And Madonna doesn't need tuning. I'm blessed that I get to work with the best in the industry. It makes my job a lot easier.
"Madonna and Justin can sing in the pocket, whereas many singers these days don't even know what the pocket is. In the '4 Minutes' session there was some tuning on Madonna's vocals and on Justin's vocals, not because they were singing out of tune, but because Timbaland had a vision for how the track was supposed to sound. We used Auto-Tune or Melodyne because we wanted a certain seamless flow between the two singers. We were being really perfectionist about this, and decided to fix a few notes. In a couple of cases one singer dropped slightly under a note on one word and the other may have been a little over, and we wanted all the notes to flow together, and so they were tuned. Little things like this add their own style. Today I could not tell you where it is, because I don't know, and I would not be able to hear it. One of my engineers did the tuning.
"A lot of people will make singers and musicians do endless takes and then they'll comp and fix things. We don't work that way. We're much more linear. Of course there's comping going on, but it's being done while we record. Usually we do a take, and we may punch in a word or clean up a syllable, but after that we move on. If tuning is done at all, it happens just before I start mixing, and it'll be done by one of my guys."

Blaming the assistant....

In living for love for instance, in the final track her voice is thin almost metallic in some parts but when you listen to the raw vocal takes (thanks to the leaks) her voice is stronger, richer and more soulful.

The difference is striking on the second verse (i could get caught up in bitterness)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-acghWQDpQ0

I can't get over Rebel Heart, i think it is a cohesive album but it's just that there are too many tracks on it (not counting the unreleased ones that leaked) and each cancels the other one. I did not pay attention to Messiah at first thinking it was a throaway album track but when i paid attention to it, it's a stunning track with beautiful vocals, lyrics and orchestration that could have been THE standout track on any other album. That is how good the material is.

Mirwais interview around Music release

Contrasting with the chopped and mangled sound of "Impressive Instant" is "I Deserve It," a track dominated instrumentally by nothing more than Mirwais strumming an acoustic guitar. "To me, the most experimental thing I did on the album was on 'I Deserve It': There's no reverb on that track. Spike did a great job recording it with an old German mic from the '30s. We added compression, but we didn't need anything else.
"That was a new thing for Madonna. She usually likes to track with a lot of reverb and delay. But that way, I can't check the tuning of the voice. I always listen to the vocal track without effects. The first time she listened to herself without effects, she was scared of it, and she asked me to put the reverb back on. But then one time I was checking the track without effects and she listened, too -- and she loved it. For me, it's the most important thing that we did to her voice on the album: to leave it naked.
"It was her idea to keep it that way. The mix on this track is very close to the first mix we did on the first day. She wanted me to keep it very simple. I wanted to produce it a little bit more, to take it a little further, but she told me, 'Okay, let's stop here.' I like the difference between a track like 'Impressive Instant' with a lot of effects, and a track as simple as 'I Deserve It.' It makes for a very interesting album."

(as for the sound of the album, she talked so much about James Blake during the interviews for the release of Rebel Heart and the Feist penned "limit to your love" that they seem like a natural choice)

She should do one more mindless inappropriately youth orientated slutty club bangers full album like the fabulous Rebel Heart before she turns 60, then go to Joe Henry for album #15. :sassy:

Yes, I tend to agree. I think she still should do one more pop/dance album with a couple of ballads or acoustic songs before she totally changes direction and does the slower more vocal driven album people are referencing here.

Hmm, very early days as we're still in RH era and she's been talking about this movie (hope she postpones it), I'd much rather have a new album, however, she's touched the folk sound on 3 albums, I'd much rather have something more exciting, surprise us with something completely different, but I'd also be happy with she wants to stick to pop.

When I read recently about the veronica electronica project, I wonder how amazing that would have been, shame TNBT got in the way, I'd rather have new Madonna music rather than a new film any day.