George DuBose book

ITG

• 3 weeks later...

George on photographing her for the first time:

I was contacted by John Phillips, the bouncer at Hurrah's who was sidelining as a radio promotions man, shopping Madonna's first demo to radio stations.

He put me together with Camille, of Empire Management, Madonna's manager. Camille asked me to go to Uncle Sam's Blues, a club in Roslyn, Long Island and make live photographs of just the singer who was fronting a band called "The Breakfast Club."

Just the singer, not the band. Hmmmm?

There was this sexy, young woman wearing barely-concealing costumes of chamois skin and foxtails. She was oozing sexuality, but seemed shy or unsure of herself. I went back stage between sets to meet her.

I asked her what her real name was.

"Madonna."

I offered her encouragement and wrote a short list of suggestions regarding her performance. I was trying to be supportive.

When her manager, Camille, discovered the note, she was furious and ejected me from the dressing room, screaming, "How dare you speak to my artist!"

I stayed in the club and shot the second set.

I took the train back to Manhattan and never heard from Camille again. I referred Madonna to the promoters of Club NY and we saw her shows at the Underground, Danceterial and the Roxy, without a band.

My negatives of Madonna's first gig sat in my files for 15 years before anyone had any interest in publishing them.

- George DuBose

http://www.houseofroulx.com/blogs/news/35623233-whos-that-grrll

When her manager, Camille, discovered the note, she was furious and ejected me from the dressing room, screaming, "How dare you speak to my artist!"

Oh Camille :rotfl::rotfl:

She was probably jealous :lmao:

:rotfl::rotfl: you bet!

I bet she still says she discovered Madonna. I love her and she and her biz partner helped Madonna get more visibility but she's deluded when she says she understood the power of Madonna's vision for herself as an artist

Even DuBose immediately realised it I guess :lol:

rt29hh.jpg

1313843622775_f.jpg

:rotfl::rotfl: you bet!

I bet she still says she discovered Madonna. I love her and she and her biz partner helped Madonna get more visibility but she's deluded when she says she understood the power of Madonna's vision for herself as an artist

Even Du Bose immediately realised it I guess :lol:

rt29hh.jpg

1313843622775_f.jpg

Lol exactly! Camille helped her, but Madonna is where she is because of herself. I doubt she would have made that impact if she had went along with Camille's wishes and done the whole Chrissie Hynde schtick.

Lol exactly! Camille helped her, but Madonna is where she is because of herself. I doubt she would have made that impact if she had went along with Camille's wishes and done the whole Chrissie Hynde schtick.

:thumbsup:

I love these DuBose shots too:

dubose_301.jpgdubose_303.jpg

dubose_701.jpg

dubose_304.jpg

madonna3.jpg

madonna1.jpg

live82b.jpg

el5.jpg

el2.jpg

el6.jpg