DC 9/12 VERIZON CENTER 3rd NIGHT

Stephen

I'm still in recovery mode from last night!! This morning was UGLY for me....lol. I have no voice and I'm pretty certain DC is dry of vodka today thanks to me. SHE was fucking AMAZING!!! HOW does she do this to me time and time again?!?! The energy in that place last night was amazing. She kept the crowd up and responsive for the entire show. I'm ALL for the MDNA type shows but the energy in the crowd is always so amazing when she does this kind of show. I just find it so fascinating that her whole persona seems to completely change from tour to tour. Just three years ago in the same venue, I saw the darker, aggressive, more angry Madonna on stage. Last night, I had the privilege of seeing the "new", warm, charming, sweet Madonna. She was radiant and in such a great mood with the energy of a teenager. The clips I watched prior did not do this show justice! I would definitely group this tour in the WTG, RIT, S&S category more than the BA, DWT, MDNA category. By that I mean this is a concert more than a show that tells a story. The Iconic, epic opening would lead you to believe you are in for a somewhat "dark" show but the mood quickly lightens with BIM. BU was a big highlight for me! I think Madonna with the electric guitar is so sexy!! I think her voice on this tour is easily her best since RIT.....maybe even before. Body Shop and TB really showed it off as did HC/LDLHA......all of these seemed to be crowd pleaders. I was somewhat surprised at the reception of LDLHA when she began singing it. LAV was the absolute highlight for me! I love when it's just her on stage. How can one person have so much star quality and charisma!? She really could do a full show with just her and the audience would still love her. The whole "Spanish" section was perfection!!! What a treat to get to hear DYU/LS/ITG/Everybody......naturally it brought the house down. WTG.....wow! I nearly started to cry with this one. Another song that really showcased that gorgeous voice. Really loved RH live as well! Despite the fact it's not the most well known song by the casual fans, it really got a warm reception. I think it's placement in the show was perfect. Loved the fan art too! Music, MG, UB, Holiday, HEATHER!! All major highlights for me. Yes she KILLED it with Candy Shop. If anyone has a problem with this performance then, well, sorry......you are not a fan....lol. I did not find Holiday to be abrupt or awkward as has been mentioned before. Perhaps it's because I kind of knew what to expect but that encore and performance worked very well, seemed to make the crowd happy. And for the record......the place was as packed as every other "flop" show I've attended at this arena. People really need to get a grip with that shit. EVERY Madonna show I've ever attended, "sold out" for months or not had tickets available the day of the show. Also, no she doesn't dance as "hard" as MDNA but she's hardly a dead fish on stage just standing there. The show lacks in nothing! If I wasn't sure before last night, I am sure now that I CANNOT see this show just once! I'm going to have to find a way to get to Atlanta in Jan. I don't see how one of her fans couldn't like this show, so all of you with your irrelevant nit picky ass opinions, feel free to give me your ticket. Quite frankly, at this "feel good" "light hearted" love fest, there is no place for your cynical, whiny asses.

And OMG @ Holy Water/Vogue!!! Scandaldonna in all her glory! Definitely a highlight for me too!!

I can't believe you were there and I didn't get to meet you! :cries:

I can't believe you were there and I didn't get to meet you! :cries:

I know!! I so wish I would've gotten a chance to meet u and other MNationers. I honestly had no idea u were going to b at this show! I'm going to have to keep better tabs on people the next show I go to and organize my time better....lol....I'm like a chicken with its head cut off in the hours before a show! It's ridiculous I've been on this forum for 12 years, been to 10 shows during that time and have never met a MNationer! Glad to hear u enjoyed the show!! I know how special this era has been for you and it seems like this was the cherry on top! :)

I know!! I so wish I would've gotten a chance to meet u and other MNationers. I honestly had no idea u were going to b at this show! I'm going to have to keep better tabs on people the next show I go to and organize my time better....lol....I'm like a chicken with its head cut off in the hours before a show! It's ridiculous I've been on this forum for 12 years, been to 10 shows during that time and have never met a MNationer! Glad to hear u enjoyed the show!! I know how special this era has been for you and it seems like this was the cherry on top! :)

:kiss2: It was very last minute for me. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too.

It was an amazing show. She is so incredible. Warm. Radiant. Luminous. I was in seat 3 next to the catwalk (near the cross)... she was SO close. The guys who caught the bouquet were right in front of me. Like one row in front of me! Haha! Was so happy for them. Feel like I made eye contact once or twice, and waved at Tony her dresser who waved back. Saw her dancer Marvin (longer hair who did the LAV/Love Spent sequence from MDNA with her) on the sidewalk after.

Her voice for the audience chit-chat was so ... petite, sweet, and ... innocent?! Don't know why that struck me. People around me cried during certain numbers, like True Blue and HeartbreakCity/LDLHA, and Who's That Girl. Rebel Heart fan art backdrop was MUCH better than I ever imagined. Thought it would be too much of a DIY feel, but not so much.

So many highlights - can't get specific, as i'm exhausted and have to drive tomorrow. It was PACKED. I took a quick video of the house before it started; maybe I can post it later. I will say the people who whine about Candy Shop or other setlist choices?! Umm... NO COMPLAINING. It is an awesome show. And I can say -- it MUST be seen live, in person. Reading about it and seeing a few photos really don't do it justice? It's breathtaking in spots. And so intimate in others. Her ukulele moments are pure magic and vulnerability.

My only disappointments? That it ended. Felt like it should have gone on and on and on. And that I missed the chance to meet some of you! :( I met an old MadonnaWeb forum poster (back in the days before it was overrun by spammers) - ShawnDC. I don't think he posts here - but it was fun to meet him after knowing him online only for the past 15 years. Would have loved to have met Kurt, Glinda, Bill, and Stephen. Maybe in Philly if some of you will be there. Good night, all!

I'll be in Philly and would love to meet you!!!!!!!!

I'm still in recovery mode from last night!! This morning was UGLY for me....lol. I have no voice and I'm pretty certain DC is dry of vodka today thanks to me. SHE was fucking AMAZING!!! HOW does she do this to me time and time again?!?! The energy in that place last night was amazing. She kept the crowd up and responsive for the entire show. I'm ALL for the MDNA type shows but the energy in the crowd is always so amazing when she does this kind of show. I just find it so fascinating that her whole persona seems to completely change from tour to tour. Just three years ago in the same venue, I saw the darker, aggressive, more angry Madonna on stage. Last night, I had the privilege of seeing the "new", warm, charming, sweet Madonna. She was radiant and in such a great mood with the energy of a teenager. The clips I watched prior did not do this show justice! I would definitely group this tour in the WTG, RIT, S&S category more than the BA, DWT, MDNA category. By that I mean this is a concert more than a show that tells a story. The Iconic, epic opening would lead you to believe you are in for a somewhat "dark" show but the mood quickly lightens with BIM. BU was a big highlight for me! I think Madonna with the electric guitar is so sexy!! I think her voice on this tour is easily her best since RIT.....maybe even before. Body Shop and TB really showed it off as did HC/LDLHA......all of these seemed to be crowd pleaders. I was somewhat surprised at the reception of LDLHA when she began singing it. LAV was the absolute highlight for me! I love when it's just her on stage. How can one person have so much star quality and charisma!? She really could do a full show with just her and the audience would still love her. The whole "Spanish" section was perfection!!! What a treat to get to hear DYU/LS/ITG/Everybody......naturally it brought the house down. WTG.....wow! I nearly started to cry with this one. Another song that really showcased that gorgeous voice. Really loved RH live as well! Despite the fact it's not the most well known song by the casual fans, it really got a warm reception. I think it's placement in the show was perfect. Loved the fan art too! Music, MG, UB, Holiday, HEATHER!! All major highlights for me. Yes she KILLED it with Candy Shop. If anyone has a problem with this performance then, well, sorry......you are not a fan....lol. I did not find Holiday to be abrupt or awkward as has been mentioned before. Perhaps it's because I kind of knew what to expect but that encore and performance worked very well, seemed to make the crowd happy. And for the record......the place was as packed as every other "flop" show I've attended at this arena. People really need to get a grip with that shit. EVERY Madonna show I've ever attended, "sold out" for months or not had tickets available the day of the show. Also, no she doesn't dance as "hard" as MDNA but she's hardly a dead fish on stage just standing there. The show lacks in nothing! If I wasn't sure before last night, I am sure now that I CANNOT see this show just once! I'm going to have to find a way to get to Atlanta in Jan. I don't see how one of her fans couldn't like this show, so all of you with your irrelevant nit picky ass opinions, feel free to give me your ticket. Quite frankly, at this "feel good" "light hearted" love fest, there is no place for your cynical, whiny asses.

And OMG @ Holy Water/Vogue!!! Scandaldonna in all her glory! Definitely a highlight for me too!!

I love reading your reviews. I totally agree that it showed a different side of her, warmer with more emphasis on singing. I guess my personal preference is I like more traditional concerts rather than choreographed dance routines so it was a welcome change for me. I love her voice!! I don't understand people who say they don't like her singing and just want very formal dancing. She dances a lot though, but maybe not so choreographed. She said in EW that she really wants to have fun on this tour and not worry about making mistakes and so it comes through very well.

That is what makes her an artist you can see on every tour and not get bored. She always shows different sides of herself. So glad you had a great time and I wish I could have met you. I'd love to see her again, but I'm not sure how that is going to work for me. I wish she could do a NC date since my father lives there. NC is a much more liberal place now, and I don't understand why she cant go there if she's doing much more conservative places like Oklahoma or Kentucky.

metro weekly

Rebel Heart Tour: Madonna Takes the Verizon Center by Storm (review)

By Doug Rule on September 13, 2015

In past tours she seemed to be performing on auto-pilot, but not on Saturday.

It was just one example of how significantly Madonna’s musicality has improved over the years, even if her music has not.

:semifunny::electropop::chuckle:

Any "fan" who seriously hates this tour clearly lacks taste and is a miserable slob that will get the *FLUSH*

So should everyone who keeps hammering about "this show has not sold well" :clap:

Cannot wait for the same unequivocal crowd shots from the UK dates as well

Here's my review that I posted on Facebook. Hope you don't mind if I cut and past it since I don't want to type a whole new review. It's more for a general audience all of which may not be huge Madonna fans, but I hope you guys enjoy it!

Hey, everyone here's my report on Madonna last night in Washington, DC. What a great show! She came on around 9:40. You know she's coming on when they play Wanna Be Starting Something by Michael Jackson!! She enters from the top coming down in a cage!! The first section is the samurai section. I think the highlight of this section is Burning Up on guitar. It was an early single but everyone was singing along! Then of course there was the pole dancing on the crosses!!

The second section is the more simple 50's rockabilly section, but I think this was in some ways the best. Her acoustic version of True Blue is so amazing, plus Like A Virgin really gets the crowd going. Then she gives the best vocal performance of the night when she sings Heartbreak City/Love Don't Live Here Anymore on the stairs. Her vocals on this are insane! Anyone who says she can't sing doesn't know what they're talking about!!

Then we go on to the Spanish section. A highlight here is another acoustic version of Who's That Girl and Rebel Heart on guitar. She thanks all her fans for standing by her for 30 years!! She has the big flamenco Spanish dress on and when she sits down she says excuse me, I'm not used to wearing so many clothes! LOL

Then of course the finale is the 20's flapper section. Her new versions of Music and Material Girl get everyone going. But the highlight is her cover of La Vie en Rose. Yes, she kept it. She says some funny things such as she invited President Obama to come but he didn't because she probably was too provocative for him, but she tried to tone it down!! LOL Barack didn't know what he missed! I've always had a crush on our President so Madonna and I have a lot in common!! I wish he could stay longer since the new candidates like Trump are so bad, and not cute or sexxxy at all! She also said she wasn't a believer in marriage, except for same sex marriage. LOL She said the problem with marriage is your husband wants you to belong to only him, but she belongs to all of us fans!! LOL

Then of course, the funny part is in Unapologetic Bitch where she chooses a fan to come up and dance with her. She chose this girl Heather who was wearing a copy of a costume Madonna wore on the Confessions tour, a blue and white jumpsuit! Heather was a lot of fun. Madonna asked her if she had anything to apologize for and Heather said hell, no!!

This tour is interesting because it is such a cross between a big production tour and such intimate guitar and talking to the audience moments.

I've always thought the idea of Madonna being a bitch is overplayed, but even I was amazed at how warm and genuine and appreciative she is of her fans. It's a new Madonna for sure. No one can come away from this show not loving her!!

I just wish I could see it again and maybe with closer seats!! Okay that's my full report and as Madonna, says Bye Bitches!!

:clap::clap::wow::dramatic:

I'm finally home and have some time to write my impressions of the show.

Let me just start by saying that any negative judgment any one makes based solely on pictures and low quality videos are so WRONG! The show was absolutely amazing! I honestly think that of the 3 tours I've attended (S&S, MDNA, and now RH) this has been the most fun one yet. MDNA will always be special to me because I got to see her up close in the Golden Triangle and the show itself was mind-blowing, but I think RH is slightly better (to my taste).

I was in section 6, to the right of the tip of the heart, and I had an excellent view for most of the show. However, when she was at the main stage (which was ~40% of the time) it was a bit far, although that's may also be because I'm pretty short and always struggle to get a good view at concerts :sad: (I'm 5'2). I'm sure that the show is a blast no matter where one sits, and I have no complaints about the people that were around me during the show. Everyone around me was dancing and singing, which made the experience even more fun. I must say, the D.C. crowd >>> Houston crowds

The set list makes so much sense live, and I think that one of the biggest strengths of the tour is that her "oldies-but'goodies" are placed perfectly. The crowd ate up every one of her older hits and she seemed so freaking happy throughout the whole thing! The first section is the darkest, and although it was visually stunning (wow at the entire Holy Water sequence), I felt that all of the other sections were more engaging, probably because she was so interactive with the crowd, and the performances were all around very light-hearted. She was so hilarious and just plain cute!

I've read comments of people criticizing the ITG/Everybody/Lucky Star medley stating that it brings down the energy of the show, and it may be because it was performed by the heart so I had a great view of it, but I couldn't disagree more. Everyone was dancing and singing along, it was one of the highlights of the show!

I was also pleasantly surprised by Candy Shop, it just worked so well right after Music.

I don't know if this also happened at her Canada shows but after she sang La Vie en Rose, she asked one of her dancers for a light, at which point a lot of people around the arena pulled out their phones, pointing the flash lights at the stage. It was pretty cool and you can see it in this video I shot from last night (starts @1:21)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwCX37s524

Oh and as a side note, I saw Heather chatting away with one of the venue's security guy's before the show. She had the cape that went along with the Dancing Queen outfit too! And if I remember correctly her seat was right in front of the heart so that probably made her more visible to whomever it is that choses the fan that goes up to dance with Madonna. Here's a pic I snapped of her before the show.dmPs2rJ.jpg?1

Overall, AMAZING show! I'm still reeling from it all. Everyone was raving about it afterwards too. I noticed that casual fans were particularly impressed. Going in I was slightly disappointed that she doesn't sing Inside Out, but that was quickly forgotten with how amazing the HC/LDLA, LAV, True Blue, and D&D performances were. I wish I could see her again :/

These are a couple of pics from my view last night

5tuzBwi.jpg

ftmZCGR.jpg

Thank you!!! Loved it

:clap::clap::inlove: Glad to read you too had a fab time Kurt

I'm still in recovery mode from last night!! This morning was UGLY for me....lol. I have no voice and I'm pretty certain DC is dry of vodka today thanks to me. SHE was fucking AMAZING!!! HOW does she do this to me time and time again?!?! The energy in that place last night was amazing. She kept the crowd up and responsive for the entire show. I'm ALL for the MDNA type shows but the energy in the crowd is always so amazing when she does this kind of show. I just find it so fascinating that her whole persona seems to completely change from tour to tour. Just three years ago in the same venue, I saw the darker, aggressive, more angry Madonna on stage. Last night, I had the privilege of seeing the "new", warm, charming, sweet Madonna. She was radiant and in such a great mood with the energy of a teenager. The clips I watched prior did not do this show justice! I would definitely group this tour in the WTG, RIT, S&S category more than the BA, DWT, MDNA category. By that I mean this is a concert more than a show that tells a story. The Iconic, epic opening would lead you to believe you are in for a somewhat "dark" show but the mood quickly lightens with BIM. BU was a big highlight for me! I think Madonna with the electric guitar is so sexy!! I think her voice on this tour is easily her best since RIT.....maybe even before. Body Shop and TB really showed it off as did HC/LDLHA......all of these seemed to be crowd pleaders. I was somewhat surprised at the reception of LDLHA when she began singing it. LAV was the absolute highlight for me! I love when it's just her on stage. How can one person have so much star quality and charisma!? She really could do a full show with just her and the audience would still love her. The whole "Spanish" section was perfection!!! What a treat to get to hear DYU/LS/ITG/Everybody......naturally it brought the house down. WTG.....wow! I nearly started to cry with this one. Another song that really showcased that gorgeous voice. Really loved RH live as well! Despite the fact it's not the most well known song by the casual fans, it really got a warm reception. I think it's placement in the show was perfect. Loved the fan art too! Music, MG, UB, Holiday, HEATHER!! All major highlights for me. Yes she KILLED it with Candy Shop. If anyone has a problem with this performance then, well, sorry......you are not a fan....lol. I did not find Holiday to be abrupt or awkward as has been mentioned before. Perhaps it's because I kind of knew what to expect but that encore and performance worked very well, seemed to make the crowd happy.

And for the record......the place was as packed as every other "flop" show I've attended at this arena. People really need to get a grip with that shit. EVERY Madonna show I've ever attended, "sold out" for months or not had tickets available the day of the show. Also, no she doesn't dance as "hard" as MDNA but she's hardly a dead fish on stage just standing there.

The show lacks in nothing! If I wasn't sure before last night, I am sure now that I CANNOT see this show just once! I'm going to have to find a way to get to Atlanta in Jan. I don't see how one of her fans couldn't like this show, so all of you with your irrelevant nit picky ass opinions, feel free to give me your ticket. Quite frankly, at this "feel good" "light hearted" love fest, there is no place for your cynical, whiny asses.

:clap::clap::rotfl:

I love reading your reviews. I totally agree that it showed a different side of her, warmer with more emphasis on singing. I guess my personal preference is I like more traditional concerts rather than choreographed dance routines so it was a welcome change for me. I love her voice!! I don't understand people who say they don't like her singing and just want very formal dancing. She dances a lot though, but maybe not so choreographed. She said in EW that she really wants to have fun on this tour and not worry about making mistakes and so it comes through very well.

That is what makes her an artist you can see on every tour and not get bored. She always shows different sides of herself. So glad you had a great time and I wish I could have met you. I'd love to see her again, but I'm not sure how that is going to work for me. I wish she could do a NC date since my father lives there. NC is a much more liberal place now, and I don't understand why she cant go there if she's doing much more conservative places like Oklahoma or Kentucky.

So glad you loved the show Glinda!! She was simply amazing. Even today, I get a huge smile across my face when I think about the show. Isn't it simply fascinating how she can show complete and utter opposite sides of herself and it always comes off genuine? There has NEVER been a tour where she has come across as fake. She has talked about how the idea of a more intimate tour in the future is appealing to her. She clearly took elements of that and added it into her usual grand production......and for anyone wondering, there may not be moving boxes or hotels on the stage like last time but this show is still massive, grand! NC would work fantastically for me too. Charlotte is like 4-5 hours versus the roughly 8 hours it takes to go to Atlanta. There is still a little hope a date could be added there.....although it probably would've been announced with this last batch of dates. I hope I can make it work too somehow. Seeing this show only once is simply unacceptable for me at this point....lol. For me that's always the case though. I've been fortunate enough to attend two dates on every tour the past 15 years except for RIT. I really wish I could've met you too!! I've loved your posts for years now!! :)

I don't see how one of her fans couldn't like this show, so all of you with your irrelevant nit picky ass opinions, feel free to give me your ticket. Quite frankly, at this "feel good" "light hearted" love fest, there is no place for your cynical, whiny asses.

:dead: :dead:

I'm loving all of these reviews, thanks to everyone who has posted one so far!!

They are making me SO EXCITED for Brooklyn this coming Saturday. It's pretty much all I think about, lol

They are making me SO EXCITED for Brooklyn this coming Saturday. It's pretty much all I think about, lol

YES!! Lol Last week was THE LONGEST WEEK EVER!! All I could do is think about "this Saturday I'm seeing Madonna"......the lead up is so exciting too though! Enjoy this time!! :) Its slightly depressing that it's all over now. :(

It'll be there before you know it! JUST THINK OF THE MERCH!!!

YES!! Lol Last week was THE LONGEST WEEK EVER!! All I could do is think about "this Saturday I'm seeing Madonna"......the lead up is so exciting too though! Enjoy this time!! :) Its slightly depressing that it's all over now. :(

This is already the longest week ever, and it's only Monday!!!

But yes, the anticipation. God, I can't believe the time is almost here!!! :ohmy:

It'll be there before you know it! JUST THINK OF THE MERCH!!!

So much gorgeous merch!!!!! :dramatic:

I want to buy all the things!!!!!

I know !!

Still one show for me in Qc city, than everything will be over... until the DVD, :lol:

The DC show was FANTASTIC. The crowd was so receptive and amazing. Madonna had very few, if any, political or preachy moments. She was so warm, funny and just adorable.

Her vocals were amazing. However, she did signal her crew to "fly in" her vocals a few times (Devil Pray was the first I noticed). But most songs were live.

Interesting thing I noticed - the male dancer that she throws off the stairs is the same guy from the MDNA Love Spent performance on the last tour. So, it was almost a continuation of that performance or story (very You'll See/Take A Bow).

For the people complaining about Holiday, it was over the top - bright, tons of light, fun costumes, great beat, extended version. The choreography during the show was excellent. She dances her ass off in many of the numbers. The costuming was elaborate. Even her hair, which I hated on the clips, looks great in person. The screens were very large for those that seem to be hung up on that.

Highlights for me:

1. Opening section - Bitch I'm Madonna was very cool choreography and lots of people singing along.

2. all of the acoustic songs

3. the trifecta of Music, Candy Shop and Material Girl - can't explain how on point she is during this section. It's a perfect fit for her skills. The costume is my favorite too! Those crystals fly all over the place.

4. her live vocals

5. her attitude and audience interaction - happiest she's ever appeared on tour.

6. Illuminati dancers - very cool for the floor audience

7. Center stage video wall - very cool how it raises up and down, etc

Downside or complaints (none really):

1. Messiah interlude with Ghost Town backdrop was kind of lazy, but the dancing was very cool.

2. Unapologetic Bitch seemed out of place in between La Vie en Rose and Holiday. It was still fun.

3. The epic medley of Dress You Up, Everybody, ITTG, Lucky Star - her voice is kind of drowned out by the music and the music just seems to be the same chords and beat over and over again. It was still really fun.

4. My seat were 4th row floor by the catwalk. Great seats but her back was to me for more than half the show. I'll know for the next show to be between the cross and the heart.

All in all, one of her best shows ever for me.