Grace Jones comments on Madonna, Beyoncè, Miley, Nicki in her autobiography

XXL

I find it hard to have a valid opinion on this for several reasons. Firstly I love Grace Jones as an artist and think she has every right in the World to say what she thinks in her autobiography. However, personally I often feel it is counter-productive to put down new young artists unless they are directly being disrespectful themselves. I remember some female artists such as Debbie Harry putting Madonna down and somehow it always reeked of bitterness and jealousy up to a point. Every generation of new stars are dismissed in every new generation. We will know in the future which ones stand the test of time. I also have read several interviews where Grace has praised Madonna so I don't really feel she meant to lump her in with the other girls. Anyway, it is her book and her right to give her views. I just love the high road Madonna takes with the new crops of female stars. She always seems to support them and does not ever come across as jaded.

How pathetic Is it that people feel you have the right to write garbage because you are not at the level you feel you are entitled to.

She has a lot of nerve lumping Madonna in with a bunch a "media portrayal of Madonna" wannabes out there.

Madonna is where she is because of her hard work and music.

I am suppose to overlook her disrespect because what, she's not rich?

The ones who claim to be just about the art and don't care about money seem to be the most jealous when others succeed. If that's what you really were about than you would be content.

You cetainly wouldn't be writing some whiny book.

It just absolutely makes me ill how people automatically think that people who are not as successful or rich as someone else have halos over their heads and get all this room to say whatever they like about anyone.

If the most interesting thing about her book is the put down of other female celebrities this book certainly doesn't appeal to me. People who say she's got any rights to have an opinion i'll say that might come across as a valid opinion but it might also come across as bitter bitchness. As I said before if she feels so strong about the state of music today what other alternatives she's giving to this new batch of pop stars and Madonna? Funny how no one could answer that...

You guys have no idea what you're talking about. Grace is an incredible musician and she's speaking 100% truth on ever angle.

Whoever said that her lack of work ethic and drug use is the reason for her gap in making music is correct tho ...

The book is going to be absolutely fascinating. The only reason it comes across the way it does is because Grace is so fucking obnoxious in her tone and in the way she expresses herself. Madonna took a lot from her, Debbie, Pat, Chyssie etc...

Again drawing inspiration from someone or from artists that inspired you is one thing...it's what you do with it and how you put something that represents you as an individual artist and Madonna did that and more. CLEARLY. I bet Grace knows that and anyone who thought she was a passing trend then, now sees her for being the rockstar she is. It took a brilliance neither Debbie or Grace had to be drug free and push visions together in an industry that controls your decisions and your output and she put her visions out and pushed herself further than any other pop star in the world. There's a big difference between that and these pop stars of today.

I find it hard to have a valid opinion on this for several reasons. Firstly I love Grace Jones as an artist and think she has every right in the World to say what she thinks in her autobiography. However, personally I often feel it is counter-productive to put down new young artists unless they are directly being disrespectful themselves. I remember some female artists such as Debbie Harry putting Madonna down and somehow it always reeked of bitterness and jealousy up to a point. Every generation of new stars are dismissed in every new generation. We will know in the future which ones stand the test of time. I also have read several interviews where Grace has praised Madonna so I don't really feel she meant to lump her in with the other girls. Anyway, it is her book and her right to give her views. I just love the high road Madonna takes with the new crops of female stars. She always seems to support them and does not ever come across as jaded.

THIS.

The ones who claim to be just about the art and don't care about money seem to be the most jealous when others succeed. If that's what you really were about than you would be content.

You know, there's a lot of truth to that, in general.

You guys have no idea what you're talking about. Grace is an incredible musician and she's speaking 100% truth on ever angle.

Whoever said that her lack of work ethic and drug use is the reason for her gap in making music is correct tho ...

The book is going to be absolutely fascinating. The only reason it comes across the way it does is because Grace is so fucking obnoxious in her tone and in the way she expresses herself. Madonna took a lot from her, Debbie, Pat, Chyssie etc...

Again drawing inspiration from someone or from artists that inspired you is one thing...it's what you do with it and how you put something that represents you as an individual artist and Madonna did that and more. CLEARLY. I bet Grace knows that and anyone who thought she was a passing trend then, now sees her for being the rockstar she is. It took a brilliance neither Debbie or Grace had to be drug free and push visions together in an industry that controls your decisions and your output and she put her visions out and pushed herself further than any other pop star in the world. There's a big difference between that and these pop stars of today.

I get that. Ultimately, I think she's spot on...it's just the way it comes across that feels a bit...off-putting, or pretentious.

I think it's just the mention of Madonna that throws everyone for a loop. :laugh: I mean, if she had completely left her out, we'd probably all being agreeing with her... :lmao:

Guest Rachelle of London

What she's saying isn't a lie though. A lot of people have copied Grace. All she's saying is that they've made a lot of money from it where she hasn't. When Grace is being nasty you know it. This ain't nasty. This is an excerpt from a whole book. The same book which she praises Madonna.

When I look towards musicians, I look for emotion, music and message. What they are wearing means nothing to me.

I can't name even one song of Grace's. Back when, I remember seeing a couple seconds of a video nominated and she seemed kinda stuntish to me. Even her persona overall seemed stuntish. Like I am dressing like this just because. No wonder she doesn't like Doris.

"Be Like Madonna, Be Like Gaga, Be Like Rita Oral, Be like Miley. I can't be like them because they are like me already"

What does that mean? :rotfl:

Unless she thinks Madonna is like Rita Oral and they're both being HER together

True but in pointing that out she's foolishly (and a bit transparently I might add) lumping Madonna with them when it's THEM latching onto whatever Madonna 's done before. She goes out of her way to repeat that she came from the underground. Where does she actually think Madonna came from? She knows the answer to that only too well

Love her but these comments are a bit idiotic and attention-seeking in nature. Other than the obvious part about "you've got to find your style otherwise someone louder, bolder, bigger will come along the way to take your place"

I totally agree. Love me some Grace, but does she really lumps Madonna with all the new girls? On one hand its complimentary, but on the other...

When I look towards musicians, I look for emotion, music and message. What they are wearing means nothing to me.

I can't name even one song of Grace's. Back when, I remember seeing a couple seconds of a video nominated and she seemed kinda stuntish to me. Even her persona overall seemed stuntish. Like I am dressing like this just because. No wonder she doesn't like Doris.

this.. She didnt even bother talking about the music of those said artists. And her complain is usual for those who deem they're very artistic but fails to embrace the commercial side of the business. Criticise. Which is why Madonna is so awesome because she has taken both art and commercial and is successful at it.

thing is the story of her family is WAY much more interesting than this (William's blood) and i truly think this excerpt has been given to the press to spark interest in the book but Grace is about so much much much more than that.

Exactly

This is only one small portion of the book

I totally agree. Love me some Grace, but does she really lumps Madonna with all the new girls? On one hand its complimentary, but on the other...

There's this interview where they ask her if she's considering working with Lady Gaga because Lady Gaga said she really wants to work with her.

Grace Jones basically says: Back in the day Madonna used to go to my shows for inspiration. I'm okay with that. But Lady Gaga steals everything that I do and calls it her own. I don't work with unoriginal people.

Here she's just saying that all these stars owe a lot to her and I agree.

And when people blame the cocaine to the fall in her career I COMPLETELY disagree. She was in her 20s in her studio 54 days when she was clearly high as a kite. She was in her 40s and 50s in the 90s when she basically disappeared for a while and when that whole "organic" "grunge" scene took over popular culture.

Then the bubble gum pop shit (Britney, N Sync, etc.) took over. There was no place for her in the pop world at the time.

She came out at 54 yo with Pavarotti in 2002 and people laughed at her for looking like a damn DISCO FUTURISTIC DIVA.

10 years later all these basic hauxs are stealing her style and not only getting away with it, but they go on rants about being original artists who are inspired by NO ONE. I'd be pissed the fuck off, too.

Lady-Gaga-kopie-van-Grace-Jones-4.jpg

Grace Jones 2002 Lady Gaga 2009?

There's this interview where they ask her if she's considering working with Lady Gaga because Lady Gaga said she really wants to work with her.

Grace Jones basically says: Back in the day Madonna used to go to my shows for inspiration. I'm okay with that. But Lady Gaga steals everything that I do and calls it her own. I don't work with unoriginal people.

And when people blame the cocaine to the fall in her career I COMPLETELY disagree. She was in her 20s in her studio 54 days when she was clearly high as a kite. She was in her 40s and 50s in the 90s when she basically disappeared for a while and when that whole "organic" "grunge" scene took over popular culture.

Then the bubble gum pop shit (Britney, N Sync, etc.) took over. There was no place for her in the pop world at the time.

She came out at 54 yo with Pavarotti in 2002 and people laughed at her for looking like a damn DISCO FUTURISTIC DIVA.

10 years later all these basic hauxs are stealing her style and not only getting away with it, but they go on rants about being original artists who are inspired by NO ONE. I'd be pissed the fuck off, too.

I agree with everything you wrote. Especially how much Gaga tried to lift from Jones on top of thieving from Madonna. And I get what Grace is saying BUT it is the premise to be entirely misleading and 100 shades of wrong

She is very right in what she's saying but the moment she lists Madonna randomly after Rihanna, Miley, Gaga, Rita Ora etc etc her statement immediately loses credibility and vigour. She basically lists a series of starlettes and then name drops Madonna, pretending Madonna is one of them / like them and that together they have somehow profited from "Grace's ideas"

It takes some guts to try and pull that one off without seeming like you're producing a very contrived claim from the start. She better remember all these girls owe a debt to Madonna more than Madonna owes her anything at all to be honest

Madonna's career never went fully or slavishly in the direction of anyone who preceded her time or was contemporary to it, so to say I can't be like Madonna because she's already being like me sounds like a pretentious joke considering that Grace Jones didn't have a fraction of the cultural and social impact Madonna had throughout her career and that has got nothing to do with "doing things for the money".

Madonna made a lot of money because she had artistry, great instincts and solid content to begin with, not just a fantastic head for publicity (which to me is not a bad thing per se either), otherwise it doesn't guarantee you longevity which is the exact same reason why the other people she mentioned, and that she's out of the blue lumping Madonna with, all fit the mold of late 90s Disney star, people who haven't stayed massively famous for more than 5-8 years, a decade max and then fizzled out when they broke down in the wake of the system that created them in the first place.

I agree with everything you wrote. Especially how much Gaga tried to lift from Jones on top of thieving from Madonna. And I get what Grace is saying BUT it is the premise to be entirely misleading and 100 shades of wrong

She is very right in what she's saying but the moment she lists Madonna randomly after Rihanna, Miley, Gaga, Rita Ora etc etc her statement immediately loses credibility and vigour. She basically lists a series of starlettes and then name drops Madonna, pretending Madonna is one of them / like them and that together they have somehow profited from "Grace's ideas"

It takes some guts to try and pull that one off without seeming like you're producing a very contrived claim from the start. She better remember all these girls owe a debt to Madonna more than Madonna owes her anything at all to be honest

Madonna's career never went fully or slavishly in the direction of anyone who preceded her time or was contemporary to it, so to say I can't be like Madonna because she's already being like me sounds like a pretentious joke considering that Grace Jones didn't have a fraction of the cultural and social impact Madonna had throughout her career and that has got nothing to do with "doing things for the money".

Madonna made a lot of money because she had artistry, great instincts and solid content to begin with, not just a fantastic head for publicity (which to me is not a bad thing per se either), otherwise it doesn't guarantee you longevity which is the exact same reason why the other people she mentioned, and that she's out of the blue lumping Madonna with, all fit the mold of late 90s Disney star, people who haven't stayed massively famous for more than 5-8 years, a decade max and then fizzled out when they broke down in the wake of the system that created them in the first place.

:clap:

THIS.

i don't blame her. we see the horrible bs they say about M when its about gaga. its not cool. she just wants a little bit of credit. grace said gaga stalked her brother. she's not right in the head.

??

She's saying that Madonna has profited from her ideas without crediting her like Rihanna, Rita Ora, Gaga, Miley do :blink: Where's the sense in that?

??

She's saying that Madonna has profited from her ideas without crediting her like Rihanna, Rita Ora, Gaga, Miley do :blink: Where's the sense in that?

I could've sworn I read that she also said M went to her concerts & met her and credited her. strange. I don't like that she puts her in the same sentence as the other pop girls but I can understand that she finds it annoying when everyone steals from her and then gets called "bitter" when she talks about it, which reminded me a lil of the EY BTW thing.

I could've sworn I read that she also said M went to her concerts & met her and credited her. strange. I don't like that she puts her in the same sentence as the other pop girls but I can understand that she finds it annoying when everyone steals from her and then gets called "bitter" when she talks about it, which reminded me a lil of the EY BTW thing.

The point is as far as aesthetics and props Gaga is the one who stole from her, not Madonna. Grace and Madonna couldn't be two more different artists, androginy themes aside and still done differently. What is offputting about Jones statement is that she is saying Madonna is like Rita Ora :blink:

She's seen Madonna when Madonna was becoming Madonna in the coolest artistic place in the world and in its peak time. Grace knows best than to come out with a list like that, I get that she needs to plug her book but that's hilarious. I'm not even paraphrasing, it's her words

"Be like Rita Ora, be like Gaga, be like Miley, be like Madonna. I can't be like them because they're already being like me" Right :rotfl:

Everything would have made perfect sense if she hadn't lumped Madonna with Rita Ora etc to be honest

XXL, this is what i read and I sorta agreed with it like that. but yes putting M with the names of those girls is a joke. interesting she shut up about debbie harry etc