Patrick Leonard: "As it got bigger Madonna remained consistent"

XXL

Wasn't she working with Luc Besson too on a similar project and then it was scrapped?

I remember rumours of it surfaced around 2005-2007, particularly around the release of Arthur

And Luc also mentioned it in an interview if I'm not mistaken

I'm intrigued! Never heard of this rumour. Was Luc Besson and Madonna working on an opera?

I'm intrigued! Never heard of this rumour. Was Luc Besson and Madonna working on an opera?

“Confessions On A Dance Floor” began as a musical film. The French director Luc Besson, best known for The Fifth Element, was writing a screenplay about a woman on her deathbed looking back on the life she thought she had lived but, due to senility and amnesia, didn’t actually experience. Madonna, who was set to star in it and write the music, began working with Stuart Price, Pat Leonard and Mirwais on songs spanning the last century of popular music.

“I had to write music from the Twenties, big-band stuff from the Forties, Sixties folk music a la Joni Mitchell or Joan Baez, punk, and music from now, which is where ‘Hung Up’ came from,” she explains. “I made my own research book, and I had tons of reference material. But when I finally got the script, it was 300 pages long. And I was really not happy with it. It wasn’t what I wanted it to be. It just wasn’t.”

http://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-library/madonna-interview-rolling-stone-december-01-2005

On a musical.

“Confessions On A Dance Floor” began as a musical film. The French director Luc Besson, best known for The Fifth Element, was writing a screenplay about a woman on her deathbed looking back on the life she thought she had lived but, due to senility and amnesia, didn’t actually experience. Madonna, who was set to star in it and write the music, began working with Stuart Price, Pat Leonard and Mirwais on songs spanning the last century of popular music.

“I had to write music from the Twenties, big-band stuff from the Forties, Sixties folk music a la Joni Mitchell or Joan Baez, punk, and music from now, which is where ‘Hung Up’ came from,” she explains. “I made my own research book, and I had tons of reference material. But when I finally got the script, it was 300 pages long. And I was really not happy with it. It wasn’t what I wanted it to be. It just wasn’t.”

http://allaboutmadonna.com/madonna-library/madonna-interview-rolling-stone-december-01-2005

Thank you so much for the info! :bow: