Is Confessions Madonna's 'gayest' album?

johnnox

But it IS gay in the true sense. It's so disco. The gayest era in music since Late-Baroque when everyone was basically a drag queen. It's so Donna Summer, Raffaella Carra, Sylvester. When Madonna references the past she does it RIGHT, unlike that Kylie woman.

But the question was camp. Most of Madonna's music has a very gay undertone to it just by nature of her personality and aesthetics as a songwriter. In an extremely positive and tasteful way.

When I think camp I think Kylie Minogue or Girls Aloud. Madonna has never gone there.

nah - her "gayest" period started right at the 1989 MTV VMA's and closed with the 1995 Bedtime Story Pajama Party.

Confessions to me was her answer to all the critics saying, Madonna left the gays, shes married, kabbalahed out, putting out folk records, not talking with her gay brother, etc.....and she said, no, no, gays, im still here....I have forgotten about you somewhat because I am a mother and wife to a homophobe (says her brother), but Im still here and I need a hit record and I know you queens love your dance music so here goes nothing......and it worked!

Hung Up is probably her last major worldwide global hit - I cant imagine 4 minutes surpassed it....but well stranger things have happened.

nah - her "gayest" period started right at the 1989 MTV VMA's and closed with the 1995 Bedtime Story Pajama Party.

Confessions to me was her answer to all the critics saying, Madonna left the gays, shes married, kabbalahed out, putting out folk records, not talking with her gay brother, etc.....and she said, no, no, gays, im still here....I have forgotten about you somewhat because I am a mother and wife to a homophobe (says her brother), but Im still here and I need a hit record and I know you queens love your dance music so here goes nothing......and it worked!

Hung Up is probably her last major worldwide global hit - I cant imagine 4 minutes surpassed it....but well stranger things have happened.

That's a bit of a pessimistic way to look at that album. Jeez.

but Im still here and I need a hit record and I know you queens love your dance music so here goes nothing.

Patronising bitch! While she's done some things that are camp (starting with Vogue) Madonna doesn't do gay pandering, that's Kylie... she said she never wants to limit her audience.

Its a gay album, but the vast majority of the album is actually quite dark-sounding (except hung up).

Yes! I agree. When I first heard Hung Up and saw the video, I thought the album would be a gaytastic rainbow explosion. But I actually found the album to be quite dark. There was a moodiness. There was atmosphere. There were fun dance songs of course, but it was balanced with dark undertones. Basically, it was a Madonna album. :)

I'm sorry but EROTICA is her gay album. It even has somewhat of a cult status among the gays.

It's a post AIDS album & it's the one where the gays stuck by her side when the general public

seemingly had abandoned her.

COAD always had a broad enough housewife appeal...of course the gays love it...but it's not that gay..

perhaps HU is...but I wouldn't label the album as such...unless ur looking merely at its aesthetics.

gay....straight...

straight...gay...

what is gay?

what is straight?

at the end of the day...I just want to enjoy what I enjoy...and you enjoy what u enjoy..

if what i enjoy makes me gay/straight...so be it...

Im gonna go and listen to SECRET... :stir:

I wish this forum's threads from before the album release were still around. There were some hysterical chicken little queens worrying Hung Up and the album's cover and dance sound would be considered "too gay" and make the album FLOP. :crazy:

People love to put down disco and pop music to try to pretend to be edgy and cool but they usually secretly love it. Making great pop and disco music is more challenging and harder than people think. Timeless great pop music is still loved after decades, much more than some of the tuneless depressing indie stuff that is remembered for a year or two.

Totally agree :clap:

I like indie music but the genre has become very overrated. And pop music became underrated, since so many people act as if it's shameful to like it.

To answer the OP, no i personally think True Blue is her gayest album. It's probably her campiest album.

I wish this forum's threads from before the album release were still around. There were some hysterical chicken little queens worrying Hung Up and the album's cover and dance sound would be considered "too gay" and make the album FLOP. :crazy:

:lmao: Things never change with some Madonna fans. Some are always so nervous and wringing their hands with worry.

Totally agree :clap:

I like indie music but the genre has become very overrated. And pop music became underrated, since so many people act as if it's shameful to like it.

To answer the OP, no i personally think True Blue is her gayest album. It's probably her campiest album.

Hooray, another regular and passionate fan returning to the forum. Welcome back Madonnasuperfan.