Confessions on a Dance Floor - The 10 Year Anniversary Thread

Braby

Let's take a trip down memory lane shall we?
I'm reliving Confessions on a Dance Floor AS IT HAPPENED 10 years ago. :wow:
madonnaconfessionsliner-707329.jpg
I'll be updating this thread as we continue through September, October and November with all the major milestones of this campaign. A lot of this I completely forgot about...
My first impressions reading back through this list is how WELL everything was executed by her team. Pretty much EVERYTHING seemed to go to plan. The British media seemed incredibly supportive in the build-up to this era too (including Radio 1 - which we'll discuss a bit later). I might be looking at the whole era with rose-tinted glasses, but I remember the hype surrounding this album was INSANE - well it was here in the UK at least.
So far by this point 10 years ago we'd already had the following FABULOUS moments...
NOTE: The following is taken from various fansites, Nightshade's epic Genesis thread, and other bits and bobs collected over the years.
Friday, 17 June 2005
I suppose this is the best place to start. Madonna.com confirms the new album will be released in "November 2005".
Source: Madonna.com
Saturday, 2 July 2005
In an interview with MTV News backstage at Live 8, Madonna confirms that her new album is called Confessions on a Dance Floor and will feature a song called I Love New York. She says her album is being mixed "this week".
live8_mtv_interview_news.jpg
Source: MTV News; Scans: Madonnalicious
Saturday, 9 July 2005
BBC Radio 1 says the album will be released on Monday, 28 November 2005.
Source: BBC Radio 1
Monday, 11 July 2005
HMV state the album will be released on Monday, 14 November 2005 in the UK.
Source: HMV
Monday, 11 July 2005
And the rumours start... Someone in the Peter Rauhofer forum says that the new single will be released in September.
According to sources in Warner, Huerta and Madonna's team has contacted Basement Jaxx, Jacknife, Superchumbo, Rauhofer, Jan Driver and Fierce & Coppola about remixing Madonna's new single.
The single is set for September as a single with a B-side of Hollywood (Layo & Bushwacka Mix). The maxi single will be out in October, with an album in November.
Source: Peter Rauhofer forum
Thursday, 21 July 2005
MadonnaTribe reveals the name of the first single...
MadonnaTribe has heard some fresh and exclusive news about Madonna's upcoming album.
The Queen of Pop is currently in Los Angeles mixing her album with Stuart Price and the first single to be released from the new album is called "Hung Up".
In mid-August Madonna will shoot the album cover in the UK with Steven Klein who will also direct her new video, also shot in August and also in the UK.
Source: MadonnaTribe
Sunday, 24 July 2005
The now-defunct News of the World is the first major publication to bring us album "news" - most of this was a load of SHITE though...
I've been getting a lot of telephone traffic this week about the new Madonna album, and it looks set to be a corker.
With a possible release date of Nov 4th, the working title is REGRESSION and I'm told it's a MAJOR LEAGUE DANCE ALBUM with a track called New York being the potential club fave so far.
Chumbawumba-style foot stomper "Would It Make You Happy" is also tpped for greatness.
"Warner's marketing team will have meetings with Madonna at the end of July - they are working against the clock as this will be the biggest release of the year".
Madonna has also lined up Steven Meisel to do a sexy photo shoot. Can't wait.
Source: News of the World
Thursday, 21 July 2005
DrownedMadonna states that the theme of the new album cover is "Regression".
On July 14 fellow fansite Madonna.nu exclusively revealed that photographer Steven Klein is teaming up again with Madonna for her upcoming album.
DrownedMadonna can add more details .The shooting of the new Madonna album cover has the working title , "REGRESSION" , which is still subjected to change.
The shoot is scheduled to last 2 days. It's still unsure if it will take place in Los Angeles or London.If the schedule fits his agenda , graphic designer Giovanni Bianco will join the Creative Team.
Source: DrownedMadonna
Tuesday, 26 July 2005
More lies - this time from the Daily Record who report that Christina Aguilera will feature on the upcoming album. Rumours that Gwen Stefani will feature on the album also circulate. What a NASTY second paragraph in this article.
dailyrecord_260705.jpg
Source: Daily Record; Scan: Madonnalicious
Liz Rosenburg debunks these rumors the following day by saying:

Don’t believe those reports that Madonna is teaming up with Christina Aguilera. “Christina is working on an album in the [same] building [as Madonna] but they have not seen each other,” Madonna’s spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, tells The Scoop. She went on to debunk another rumor. “Gwen Stefani is not guesting on the record either. It’s all Madonna, all the time — a total dance record called 'Confessions on a Dance Floor.' No ballads, no messages. Her fans will go insane when they hear it. It’s back to Madonna the queen of the dance floor."

Source: MSNBC/The Scoop

Tuesday, 26 July 2005
Madonna.com confirms the name of the first single as reported by MadonnaTribe a few days earlier.
Madonna.com is happy to announce the name of the first single off of the new album is called HUNG UP (produced by Stuart Price). The album, Confessions on a Dancefloor, will be released this fall. Stay logged in to Madonna.com for more exciting album news!
Thursday, 28 July 2005
It's always bizarre looking back at fan-made album tracklists. This one was posted on July 28 2005. Who remembers it?
COADtracklist.jpg
Saturday, 1 August 2005
Undercover.au report that Hung Up will contain a sample from the ABBA song Ring Ring and that the video will be filmed in London "next month".
'Hung Up' is believed to contain a sample of Abba's 'Ring Ring'. The video will be shot next month in London.
Source: Undercover.au
Tuesday, 4 August 2005
Liz Smith of the New York Post talks about WBR executives being "blown away" by Confessions on a Dance Floor.
Who are the happiest music executives in the land these days? The big guys at Warner Records. All who have heard Madonna's coming CD, 'Confessions on a Dance Floor,' have been blown away. (Including WR's movie-star handsome CEO Tom Whalley.) 'Confessions' is entirely a dance-driven pop disc. No message. No ballads. All fun. These days M seems serene as the chatelaine of an English manor, feeding the chickens, riding, tending to her children, etc. (She, her home and her kids are gorgeous in Vogue for August.)
But the once-shocking icon can still get into the groove. And she wants her fans to know it. The album hits stores in November.
Source: New York Post
Tuesday, 4 August 2005
Madonna.com reveals that Hung Up will hit radio on Monday, 17 October 2005 and Confessions on a Dance Floor will be released on Tuesday, 15 November 2005.
A few weeks ago Madonna.com reported that HUNG UP is going to be the first single off the new album. We are now happy to tell you that HUNG UP will debut at radio on October 17th!
Not only that, but Madonna.com is pleased to announce the release date for Madonna's new All Dance Album. Madonna fans all over the world can rejoice, because the album release date is currently scheduled for November 15, 2005!
Put your dancing shoes on and plan a date with your best friends to the clubs, because October & November are going to rule!
Wednesday, 10 August 2005
The Sun claims that Madonna and Outkast's Andre 3000 will collaborate on the upcoming album.
Madonna has enlisted the talents of Andre 3000 on her new album, after meeting the Outkast star on the set of her husband Guy Ritchie's forthcoming movie Revolver.
Material Girl Madonna is set to unleash her latest record, Confessions On A Dancefloor, in November.
The album will contain a collaborative track that she has been working on with Andre 3000, real name Andre Benjamin.
Andre says, 'Madonna showed up on the set of Revolver and made me really nervous. She walked around the corner and I forgot all my lines.'
'She asked me what I thought about music and where it was going. Then we talked about something on her new album.'
Source: The Sun

Friday, 12 August 2005

Stuart Price talks to Rolling Stone about Confessions on a Dance Floor; he says that Madonna describes the sound of the album as "future disco". :wow:

Madonna is returning to her roots with the club-friendly Confessions on a Dancefloor, due November 15th. For her tenth studio album, the follow-up to 2003's American Life, the pop legend worked closely with British producer Stuart Price (a.k.a. DJ Jacques Lu Cont) at his London apartment.

Price met Madonna later in her career, playing keyboards on her last two tours -- "I was a bit too young to be a fan in the Eighties," he says, laughing. She approached him after last year's Re-Invention Tour, when she began work on a music-driven screenplay, bringing him onboard to create a sound she called "future disco." The idea for Confessions came from those sessions.

"We live real near each other in London, and we could just send ideas back and forth and get together and work on stuff," Price says. "The creative process was very short. There were a couple of weeks in London at my studio where we were doing a song every day."

At night, the producer would test out the tracks during his club gigs. "Whenever I was DJ'ing, I'd take dub or instrumental versions out with me," Price says. "I had my camera with me, and the next day I'd tell Madonna, 'This is what a thousand people in Liverpool looked like last night dancing to our song.' You can work on a song for twelve hours, but I guarantee you'll know within the first ten seconds of putting it on at a club whether it works or not. So these songs were tested on unwitting subjects throughout Europe."

But Price insists that he and Madonna did not blindly trust the club scene, wanting to create something more lasting. "There's a bit of a danger with dance music that you can create something that's cool but doesn't have much substance to it," he admits. "Every few months, a club record comes along that hits a nerve with people, and they connect to it. They don't know why, but there is something magical in it. That's what we were trying to make."

The first single is the uptempo synth-disco jam "Hung Up," which Price calls "a big feel-good song. You put it on and you want to get in your car, turn it up and drive around smiling."

rollingstone_hungup_news.jpg

Source: Rolling Stone; Scan: Madonnalicious

Friday, 12 August 2005

A supposed clip of Hung Up circulates on fan forums. Turns out it's NOT Madonna, but a song called It's Only Uh Uh by German Pop Idol contestant Juliette Schoppmann.

Monday, 15 August 2005

The first time we hear about the Motorola commercial...

During Little Richard's concert on Saturday 13 August in Portland, Oregon, he told the audience that on Thursday 18 August he will be filming a Motorola Phone commercial with Madonna in Los Angeles.

Tuesday, 30 August 2005

Madonnalicious.com reveals that an instrumental version of Hung Up will feature in the upcoming Motorola commercial.

Source: Madonnalicious

Wednesday, 31 August 2005

Madonna.com update their front page with a countdown to the album release dates. You can hear a ticking sound when you visit the site, which is LATER confirmed to be from Hung Up.

madonnacom_300805_news.jpg

Madonnalicious reveal that Hung Up is played to UK radio programmers and that the single contains a sample from ABBA's Gimme Gimme Gimme - NOT Ring Ring as was previously reported.

Madonna's new single Hung Up was played to a selected group of important UK programmers yesterday (the people who choose the radio playlists etc.).

Plans are also being made for a 30 second downloadable clip from the single to be made available from October 12th for your mobile phone.

The single does contain a sample from an Abba song Gimme Gimme Gimme.

Source: Madonnalicious

First photo from the set of the Motorola commercial is released.

motorola_sling_news.jpg

Source: Associated Press

Thursday, 1 September 2005

In an interview with MTV News, Madonna says she wants people to "jump out of their seats" when they listen to her upcoming album.

Madonna's so psyched about her upcoming dance album that she can't wait to see how fans will react to it. 'I want people to jump out of their seats,' she said.

Source: MTV News

Monday, 5 September 2005

The lyrics to Hung Up leak online.

Monday, 5 September 2005

A 13-second clip of Hung Up verse leaks online.

Tuesday, 6 September 2005

DrownedMadonna reports that the video for Hung Up will be directed by David LaChapelle.

The video for "Hung Up", Madonna's first single from her "Confessions on a Dancefloor" LP, is currently set to be directed by photographer/director David LaChapelle. "Principal photography" is TENTATIVELY scheduled for thursday September 15th. Madonna of course will be there. Two options are still under discussion for the plot, with the definitive to be chosen today in a meeting. The Team is leaning for the one that features a club scene.

As for the photoshoot for "Confessions on a Dancefloor" by Steven Klein, it has more than a retro-ultra modern theme. It's actually difficult to describe. Very bright and "Happy". This is the most accurate description.

Mo is definitely in the mood to dance, when you hear the first single you will be as well. When you will hear "Confessions" album, you will realize that 2005-2006 will be The year for Madonna. It will take quite an LP to surpass this. The buzz around Warner it is, without a doubt, her best work yet. If you think you know dance, Madonna has redifined it. Madonna has changed the face of dance music. This LP is very special. There isn't a bad track to be found. Every song is a potential single. That is the amazing thing about this one. Usually, fans found her other albums predictable in the sense that it was somewhat simpe to pick what songs would be potential singles. But on this one, no one will easily be able to tell which songs will be released after "Hung Up".

Source: DrownedMadonna

Tuesday, 6 September 2005

Amazon list Confessions on a Dance Floor for pre-order. It is also revealed that the album will be released on iTunes a day before retail stores with a bonus track.

Source: Amazon/iTunes

Wednesday, 7 September 2005

Which all leads us nicely to THIS, which happened 10 YEARS AGO TODAY... The first 1 minute 20 seconds of Hung Up is available to listen to on Motorola.com. I'm presuming "Confessions on THE Dance Floor" is just a typo. A photo still of the upcoming Motorola ad is also published on the company's website.

motorola_advert1news.jpgmotorola_advert2news.jpg

Source: Motorola; Scans: Madonnalicious

Wednesday, 7 September 2005

Also 10 years ago today, we first learned that Confessions would be continuously mixed.

"It was just a matter of time for the Swedish press to start featuring articles about Madonna's Confessions and show their pride and excitement for the special attention the Queen of Pop reserved to Swedish Pop in her upcoming album.

The Swedish Metro starts today with a story also reprised by leading national newspaper Aftonbladet. The article mentions Madonna paying homage to Abba but the most interesting bit comes from two of the producers of the album, Bloodshy & Avant, who talked about their work on Confessions On A Dancefloor.

Bloodshy & Avant say they wrote and produced two tracks with Madonna, and add that as producers they usually just send the artist they are collaborating with the instrumental of the song, but this time around their work was a little bit different as this is their biggest collaboration yet.

They met Madonna and did everything from scratch together with her, and were amazed by her incredible knowledge.

On Confessions-related news, the latest buzz from France mentions that Madonna's new album will feature its tracks mixed one into another with no pause in between, like a continuous dance cd."

Source: MadonnaTribe

Can anyone remember if the first 1 minute 20 seconds of Hung Up we heard ten years ago today on Motorola.com was the finished song with the ABBA sample? Or that remix they used for the ad? I always thought we got the Motorola version FIRST but my memory is patchy...

I can't believe it's been 10 years.

Also, isn't it ODD that Radio 1 were the ones to bring us the album release dates first (although they were wrong). How times have changed!

Can anyone remember if the first 1 minute 20 seconds of Hung Up we heard ten years ago today on Motorola.com was the finished song with the ABBA sample? Or that remix they used for the ad? I always thought we got the Motorola version FIRST but my memory is patchy...

I can't believe it's been 10 years.

Also, isn't it ODD that Radio 1 were the ones to bring us the album release dates first (although they were wrong). How times have changed!

Let's watch it again... no ABBA sample, but not sure if that specifically answers your question... love this commerial! Love that era!!

Guest Rocco Papa

This thread reminded me of something I recorded ten years ago sitting in front of my computer screen with a video camera. It was the entrance to Madonna's official website at the time and it was before Hung Up was released. It was such an exciting time!!

I decided to post it on Instagram. Here it is:

https://instagram.com/p/7WG7qtkJ5c/

This is one of my favorite Madonna albums. I can't believe it's been 10 years. Time really flies.

This thread reminded me of something I recorded ten years ago sitting in front of my computer screen with a video camera. It was the entrance to Madonna's official website at the time and it was before Hung Up was released. It was such an exciting time!!

I decided to post it on Instagram. Here it is:

https://instagram.com/p/7WG7qtkJ5c/

This is one of my favorite Madonna albums. I can't believe it's been 10 years. Time really flies.

:clap::clap: :clap:

Thanks! The Hung Up marketing strategy was a MASTERSTROKE.

Guest Rocco Papa

:clap::clap: :clap:

Thanks! The Hung Up marketing strategy was a MASTERSTROKE.

RoccoPapa Love the Confessions video you posted! how awesome. :)

You're welcome! Glad you liked it. :kiss2:

I love the album. It's such a solid record. Love the confessional presence throughout the lyrics. It's deep, many people don't see it and choose to think its all Kabbalah, but it's more than that.

Love the visuals. The photo shoot with Klein is one of my all time favorites.